Green tea. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Hey everyone. I've been drinking green tea now for about four years now and love it to death. I'm pretty much just wondering if anyone else has an addiction to this fine drink . I have read ALOT about the health benefits and everything, and also have a question for those elite tea drinkers. I usually put two bags in a tea pot (little more than 16 oz) morining and afternoon. I have been noticing that my body is getting kinda dull because of the caffine intake of all four bags. I've been thinking about only putting one bag in the tea pot at a time, but am afraid that I won't get the full helth benefits. I still plan on drinking two cups per bag if I do this. All the literature says to drink up to 5 or more cups a day to get the full helth benefit, anyone agree with this? Also, whats everyones favorite kind of green, or any tea?

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-05-2004, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

green tea doesn't really have that much caffeine. 20mg per bag, so even four bags is under 100mg which is what a very small cup of coffee would have.

as far as needing 5 bags for "full health benefits"--that seems like rubbish. something that is good for you is good for you. yes, less tea will mean less 'good stuff' but that doesn't negate that you're still getting some of the good stuff.

if i'm doing bag teas, i really like stash. looseleaf i like rishi teas a lot. green is good. i like peppermint too, and i start my morning with a cup of black tea.
#3 Old 10-05-2004, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

white tea is also very good...can be hard to find, though...i found some once at a local health food store, and was loose (but measured and packaged by the store)...the type that i had is called silver needle...very good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-05-2004, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm, I drink english breakfast tea in the mornings. when I make a full pot of tea I only use to bags but I am just one person so I most often only make half a pot of tea in where I use one bag. I love tea
#5 Old 10-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I like jasmine tea best

Second to that is pretty much any fruity green flavors. (citrus flavors, berry flavors, etc)

I got some nifty throat tea which helped a lot and tasted really good the first time I had it (it was really sweet and really strong. like drinking sugar water almost) but before long I was choking it down. I wanted my throat to get better (which is why I didn't just quit drinking it) but it was just so so sickeningly sweet.

I don't actually drink that much tea, though. I probably will drink more now that it's getting colder, though.

I'm also a huge tea purist. tea must not have sugar or any sort of milk in it, no honey or any of that other stuff. I also don't believe in cold tea. if your tea comes in a bottle and all you have to do to get your tea is drink it out of the bottle, it's cheater tea. tea comes in leaves or bags and is steeped in boiling water and that's that.

I have decided this, and therefore it must be true.
#6 Old 10-05-2004, 12:12 PM
Banned

i'm the head of the green tea addict club. and proud of it. i have about 3-4 pots a day. ive been drinking this much for about 8 years, ever since i went to China and got to play around a real tea farm. ohhhhhh. so much fun. so freakin awsome.

anyway. i'm not a huge fan of tea bags. there are some really good kinds, though. yamamotoyama, choice and numi are pretty good. i usually go for the loose leaf. sencha, dragon, gunppowder, japanese are the more readily available kinds. i usually get my loose green from international markets cause they have the best kind i think. i'm a tea snob and i'm ok with that.

one of my favorties is biluochun green, which i have a tough time finding anywhere.

i love white chrysanthemum tea also. but again, it's so hard to find.

jasmine is another favorite.

i know it has a great health benefits, but i honestly just love the tatse and it makes me happy. yeah, i'm reliant on it for my happiness (just kidding). but i do feel lacking if i don't have my daily intake.

i've always said that green tea is the answer to any problem. and dammit i believe it!

i also like rooibos when i get the taste for it. if i listed all the tea in my cabinets ( i have two cabinets soley dedicated to tea), it might be the llongest post ever.

i agree with angel of dance about the tea purist thing too. sacrilige i tell you sacrilege!
#7 Old 10-05-2004, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I've got Clipper green tea, it really drys my throat unless i put sugar in it. Sorry i have no idea how many cups you should have.
#8 Old 10-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

You can get decaf green tea. Same health benefits, no caffeine. Thats what I drink

And I agree with everyone on the jasmine thing!!

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 10-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Funkified, I have been really interested in loose tea, but have no idea what to do with it! Can I just put it in the pot and pour the water over it, or do I have to have a fancy ball or whatever? I really have been wanting to try it because the loose teas always seem to be imported strait from Japan or China. I drink Bigelow right now and all their sorting and such is done here in America...I want the authentic stuff . I third the purist attitude also. I NEVER drink tea with extra stuff in it. Now, I do drink a tea called cinnamon apple spice from Celestrial Seasonings thats herbal and has cinnamon in it, but I never put sugar, creamer or anything like that in any tea. Boo to that.

Cheers.
#10 Old 10-05-2004, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I say, bypass the Green Tea and go for the Yerba Mate!!!!! even better for you, and it doesn't get bitter like Green Tea does...

Nec Aspera Terrent
#11 Old 10-06-2004, 06:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoshKel View Post

Funkified, I have been really interested in loose tea, but have no idea what to do with it! Can I just put it in the pot and pour the water over it, or do I have to have a fancy ball or whatever?

well, i'm not funkified but...

it depends on what kind of loose tea it is. if it is full leaves (you can often buy that in chinese grocery stores) you can just pour hot water over that and the leaves will settle to the bottom and it's fine.

however, most often you find leaves all chopped up. for that you need one of the "fancy balls" or any type of steeper type dohicky (like http://store.yahoo.com/stashtea/acce...-infusers.html). you can find them pretty cheap--two dollars or so, depending on how fancy.

also, like rabid child said you can find decaf green tea--i buy that also from stash (http://shopstashtea.com/teadecaf.html) which you can see here. btw, their creme caramel decaf tea is AMAZING.
#12 Old 10-06-2004, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoshKel View Post

Funkified, I have been really interested in loose tea, but have no idea what to do with it! Can I just put it in the pot and pour the water over it, or do I have to have a fancy ball or whatever? I really have been wanting to try it because the loose teas always seem to be imported strait from Japan or China. I drink Bigelow right now and all their sorting and such is done here in America...I want the authentic stuff . I third the purist attitude also. I NEVER drink tea with extra stuff in it. Now, I do drink a tea called cinnamon apple spice from Celestrial Seasonings thats herbal and has cinnamon in it, but I never put sugar, creamer or anything like that in any tea. Boo to that.

Cheers.

hey! catsywm said it too, but yeah it depends. i have a strainer that is kinda cylinder that sits in the cup or tea pot perfectly. i have a couple balls (hahahah!, sorry...) but they don't work as well as the other strainer i have.

also, some tea pots have strainers built in, so you can just throw the tea in the bottom and it's strained thru the spout.

mmm...tea! im going to make some now and go to class!

#13 Old 10-06-2004, 09:31 AM

Mmm... Green tea!

I grew up drinking this stuff and never tire of it! I drink over a litre of it a day. My mother believed it was good for the digestive system and helped disperse fatty foods, so we were always made to drink a cup of it after dinner.

I use loose leaf tea. My favourites are: Japanese Green Tea, Jasmine, Sui Seen (Cantonese, I don't know what it is in English), Guk Bo (Chrysanthemum flowers mixed with Pu Er) and Dragon Well. I'm really glad that Green Tea's taken off, I can get some varieties in supermarkets now, but others I still have to buy from Asian supermarkets. I still haven't gotten used to fruit teas... I think they taste weird...
#14 Old 10-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Banned

Guk Bo (Chrysanthemum flowers mixed with Pu Er)

hey Nite, where have you found this? my friend sends me some really good chrysanthemeum teas from China, but i can never find them in the States (or, are you even in the states, for that matter).
#15 Old 10-07-2004, 05:03 AM

Hi Funkified,

I mix my own. I buy Pu Er from the Chinese supermarket and a bag of dried chrysanthemum flowers (which the Chinese use to make chrysanthemum tea by boiling them with some cane sugar) and just put a few flowers in with the leaves. I'm in the UK, don't know where you'd get it in the States, but you probably have a bigger Chinese population there depending on the area so it shouldn’t be a problem finding an Asian foodstore...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page