Help! First time sick in ages - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-01-2004, 08:41 PM

I came down with bronchitis a couple of days ago and really don't want to go to the doc for antibiotics. I believe I can take care of this without antibiotics..I don't believe it's settled into an infection just yet. So I've been taking Robitusin every four hours today and drinking a lot of hot herbal tea. I need to break this congestion up and get it out before it gets worse. I haven't been sick like this in years. Any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-01-2004, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Eycalyptus (sp?) oil. My little sister has those symptoms, so my stepmom rubs the oil on her chest to break up the gunk.
#3 Old 10-01-2004, 09:40 PM

I just took a very hot shower and I have pans of water on the stove boiling. I read that the steam is good.

Thanks for the tip. I forgot we have some of this one kind of stuff in the medicine cabinet. It's for this type of sickness too. I've been in a daze the last few days.

ETA: Got it..it's called Mentolatum Ointment. I think I'll put some on my chest and sit over one of the pans of water with a towel over my head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-01-2004, 10:55 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

I am sorry that you are ill.

I wouldn't blame you for going to the doc and getting an antibiotic, but even if you went to the doctor, you might just get a lecture about how he doesn't want to overprescribe antibiotics.

A couple of suggestions: Make sure the Robitussin or other OTC medication you are taking has an expectorant in it. You want to make your coughs productive and keep the phlegm off/out of your lungs as much as possible.

Get some echanacea angustifolia drops and use them for a week or two. You can add them to your tea or any warm drink. This is an old Native American remedy that actually has some scientific studies that back up its efficacy. Here, Wild Oats Grocery sells it in a one ounce bottle, with medicine dropper, for about $9 per bottle.

A vaporizer, even a cool mist vaporizer, would be worth having, especially for use while you sleep.

Gargle periodically with warm salt water. Not only will this ease your throat, but it will help equalize the pressure in your ear canals. You don't want the infection getting into your ears.

Some good vegetable soups would help, especially if they include onions and green vegetables, with plenty of vitamins. Vitamin supplements with C and Zinc might also be helpful.
#5 Old 10-01-2004, 11:00 PM

Thank you Joe. I'm going to gargle with the salt water before I go to bed and I'll get some echanacea angustifolia drops tomorrow.

The cough medicine I have is an expectorant too so I'm covered there. I just took 2 NiQuils hoping that they'll make me sleepy enough to go to bed.
#6 Old 10-02-2004, 06:03 AM
Veggie Regular

drink as many fluids as you possibly can. It helps to thin mucous secretions and should help keep things moving.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#7 Old 10-02-2004, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Go to the vitamin store nearby and try to get some Lycopodium Clavatum. I looked it up on at http://www.abchomeopathy.com/go.php , for your reference. That's a great site for finding which homeopathic remedy is best. It can't hurt, to say the least --- you can't really overdose on homeopathic stuff.
#8 Old 10-02-2004, 07:42 AM

Be sure to keep yourself hydrated...both by drinking lots of fluids and with a vaporizer/steamer. Those bronchial tubes need moisture.

My teaching assistant is just getting over this. She had bronchitis for about 2 weeks and the antibiotics did squat. The Doc. gave her a dif. one and she's improving, but the cough's lingering...maybe a month now. Doctor says that that's normal.

I think I'm going to get some surgical masks to wear. heh

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 10-02-2004, 08:54 AM

Well, I went first thing this morning to the drug store and got some echinacea and this other stuff that has 600 mg's of guafeson, I think I spelled it right. Anyhow, I remember years ago when I had this that the doc gave me a prescription for the stuff. I was happy to see I could get it over the counter now. It's time released so one pill lasts 12 hours. I took it a couple of hours ago and it seems like its already working. I'm coughing up some nastiness. My throat is raw. Gargling with the warm salt water helped. I did a steam thing last night and I think I'll try it again later today. Next time I'm out I'll have to look into that Lycopodium Clavatum clickman. Thanks everyone for your help.

Sincerly Grateful but Sick,

Ruthie
#10 Old 10-02-2004, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

ALSO, go to the Asian grocery or an Herbalist / Acupuncturist and ask for GANMAOLING. the stuff is cheap and effective for just about any cold/flu/etc. it seriously boosts your immune system, it's all Chinese herbs and it WORKS. I swear by the stuff.

and did I mention it's CHEAP?

Nec Aspera Terrent
#11 Old 10-02-2004, 01:39 PM
Veggie Regular

if you have a humidifier (or in the pans of water on the stove) add a tablespoon or so of vinegar. i think it's supposed to work the same way vick's does to clear you up.

and, of course, lots of sleep and vitamin C.
#12 Old 10-02-2004, 03:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswym View Post

if you have a humidifier (or in the pans of water on the stove) add a tablespoon or so of vinegar. i think it's supposed to work the same way vick's does to clear you up.

and, of course, lots of sleep and vitamin C.

Be careful with the Vitamin C. I believe you need 3000mg to have any effect, so coughdrops w/ vitamin C won't help, they have an insignificant amount compared to the 3000mg needed. You want to avoid it from sources like orange juice, because the sugar will just aggravate the condiiton and make it worse. Avoid excessive sugar.
#13 Old 10-02-2004, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Ruthie-

I think something's going around. I know a lot of people in our area who just came down with something. Get well soon.
#14 Old 10-02-2004, 04:28 PM

Thalia..Just today I heard 5 people I know are sick. Maybe it's my paronoid delusional drugged up state, but I was laying on the couch thinking, since I really can't sleep for coughing. Anyhow, I was laying there thinking...what if some terrorist spread something through the air or water supply and the government doesn't want us to panick so they aren't letting anyone know. It's like all of a sudden in the last 5 days hoards of people are dropping out to their couches sicker than sick. Then I was thinking it was probably more like that smoking bout I was in last week. If I don't get better by Monday I'm going to go to the doctor (I promised a friend I'd go).

I had such a fever on Friday morning that I could smell someone cooking bacon in my kitchen. I could smell just as if it were really cooking. So I got up and made my way to the couch. The kitchen over the sink light was on and I could see it in the reflection of the TV screen Iit wasn't on). Well, my mom was in the reflection but she wasn't in the doorway when I looked. She wouldn't say anything...just was standing there. I looked about 4 times and then I didn't see her anymore.

I'm trying to believe that it was because of my fever. But, what if she came back to help me get better? Then I was thinking, what if she came back to help me cross over? I asked her to be there for me when I cross over so that I won't be alone and she said she would. I always remind her of that when I visit her on Sunday.

This lack of sleep is getting to me. I'm watching to make sure the stuff coming up doesn't start looking funny. Every once in a while I get real light headed. I hope I get better soon. Me so sick.
#15 Old 10-04-2004, 05:11 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Hey, Ruthie, how are you feeling?

Maybe this is in very poor taste to mention this, but I was flipping through the channels last night and came across Chris Rock doing his comedy routine on Comedy Central. He does this bit about health care, or the lack of it. And how when he was growing up, his family was so poor there was only one cure offered for every ailment--Robitussin. Even if you broke your leg, his folks would try to pour Robitussin on it.

As I watched him do this routine, I just couldn't help thinking of Ruthie fighting off her bronchitis with Robitussin.

I hope you are feeling better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page