has anyone ever tried quitting caffeine? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to say that my battle with caffine was much much worse than nicotine. It took me the entire summer, but I went from 8-10 cups of coffee a day to just a tea in the morning (which apparently has 1/3rd the caffine as coffee). Hopefully by next week I'll be able to have a lemon tea with no caffine the morning and forever be free from that horrible drug.

Anyone else gone through this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-28-2004, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

hahaha........no.

But good job with yourself there!

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#3 Old 09-28-2004, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I quit drinking caffeine for 3 months. I never felt fully awake. I started drinking it again and I felt awake and normal. So I have never tried quitting again.

I just have a cup or two a day, though. I don't have a heavy java habit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-28-2004, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Over here, in the back (hand waving).

I have quit so many times. Always sure I will not go back.

I used to quit in the spring so that it would not interfere with summer hiking. But each fall I would be teaching a class where coffee was served. It would smell sooo good, my hands would be cold from scraping the snow from my windshield and I would want to just hold a cup, just sniff the aroma (tea and chocolate would never do when the snow was falling.) At first decalf would work fine, then there would be no decalf. I would resist, then have just a sip of a girl friends or my husbands, then a gulp, then I would refuse to return the cup and I'd be hooked again.

It is so hard to get off of so I just quit hiking. Actually I have injuries that keep me off of the trail. Now I kayak and if I am on the water before the sun comes up then a cuppa jo tastes so fine when I put in.

My advice-- stay away from groups that have coffee. Have courage, stand firm.
#5 Old 09-28-2004, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

A support thread for getting off the juice (soda):

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=22997

Quitting caffeine/cigarettes:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=21116

Caffeine addiction:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=17140

I know that if I don't have a Diet Cherry Coke or some tea (once) every day, I get a splitting headache.
#6 Old 09-28-2004, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

it truly is a nasty habit to kick. i love, love, love my coffee, and have managed to give it up for weeks at a time only to go back again eventually. i am proud of myself that i'm down to 2 - 3 cups a day (plus a giant soy mocha once a week on fridays) from the 10 cups a day i was downing when i was working in a office full time.
#7 Old 09-28-2004, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

i usually drink anywhere from 2-4 cups of coffee a day..

..the way i see it...ill be wakin up dead eventually..

might as well drink my coffee..and enjoy it..

rhiannon..
#8 Old 09-28-2004, 08:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, the headaches were insanely bad, but I managed to get through them. Im able to say no to coffee when im in a coffee shop or around a group thats drinking it so Ithink I'm doing good so far. I thought smoking would be twice as hard to quit, it's amazing how addictive this stuff is, and how little its mentioned.

Also, thanks for the caffiene addiction thread, I'll be bumping that right now.
#9 Old 09-29-2004, 04:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyTanner View Post

I have to say that my battle with caffine was much much worse than nicotine. It took me the entire summer, but I went from 8-10 cups of coffee a day to just a tea in the morning (which apparently has 1/3rd the caffine as coffee). Hopefully by next week I'll be able to have a lemon tea with no caffine the morning and forever be free from that horrible drug.

Anyone else gone through this?

yes..and i must say that i hardly ever get headaches since quitting caffiene
#10 Old 09-29-2004, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I did quit for quite a while. The first couple of days were difficult because you of the withdrawl headaches, but after that it was no problem at all. Later I reintroduced caffeine back into my diet in smaller quantities, often as a way to get rid of a headache. I haven't given up soda completely but I almost always get caffeine free varieties, so my intake of caffeine is minimal at this point and not a problem for me.
#11 Old 09-29-2004, 06:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borealis View Post

I quit drinking caffeine for 3 months. I never felt fully awake. I started drinking it again and I felt awake and normal. So I have never tried quitting again.

this is exactly my experience (only i didn't last 3 months without it---more like 3wks!). i now drink two cups a week and on the other days of the week i have a cup of black tea. i just need that little bit.
#12 Old 09-29-2004, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I quit 6 weeks ago but I'm going to have one today. just one...
#13 Old 09-29-2004, 08:48 AM

the day I found out I was pregnant I quit caffeine... cold turkey. The agonizing head headaches went away after about a week! I was SOOOO happy to have that first cup O Joe 7 months later!
#14 Old 09-29-2004, 09:30 AM
Veggie Regular

I also quit caffeine the day I found out I was pregnant, cold tofu! It was miserable. I had been drinking one double latte in the mornings and 2-3 diet pepsis throughout the day. I got miserable headaches. Plus I found out on a Friday night when I was performing in a musical all weekend long...I had 4 more shows to do, sans caffeine and with a pounding headache! So yes, I feel for ya!

I think motivation is a big factor. When you find out you are pregnant, and find out you can reduce your risk of miscarriage and other fetal problems by quitting caffeine, it's a no-brainer. In a way, I think I am lucky that that happened, because I think sometimes it's easier just to plunge in than to struggle for months on the gradual process.

Since Lucas was born, I've had maybe 2 cups of coffee, and maybe 3 diet pepsis...total! I am being very very careful not to get addicted to it again, because I never want to have to quit again!
#15 Old 09-29-2004, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quit caffeine? No way - lol. Not that I drink coffee though - just decaffeinated tea for me, on rare occasions. I occasionally would have a frapuccino, but I haven't had one in almost a year it seems. So, I won't start now.

But I could never rule out caffeine, because of chocolate. A little sugar free hot cocoa or a bit of dark chocolate goes a looong way. Its a must have every once in a while Good job on everyone's attempts tho!
#16 Old 09-29-2004, 10:26 AM

I can't do it. Been drinking coffee for about 20 years. It's one of the last "bad" things that I won't let go of.
#17 Old 09-29-2004, 11:42 AM

I have huge issues with caffine. When I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia I was told I had to stop ingesting it. I did manage to quit for about 2 yrs, but then I tried to go back to work and started up all over again. I am again currently a stay at home Mom (even though both of my children are in college hehe) and I have managed to cut down on my caffine, I drink "lite" coffee about 2-4 cups a day and I also drink herbal tea (decaf) about 4-8 cups per week. I personally can not tell a difference in the way I feel either way.

Good luck

Heather
#18 Old 09-29-2004, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

<--former caffeine addict.

It's not easy to let go off, but it's worth it, IMO. I don't have to have anything to make me feel awake or energetic anymore. The headaches were brutal for a week or so, but I was fine once that was past. Now, if I want cola I go for the caffeine-free version of it and sip herbal teas (with no actual tea in them--just herbs) if I want something hot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page