Facts about Flaxseed - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-28-2004, 09:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I was on the ADA webpage today and saw this brief article as their "Tip of the Day."

Facts about Flaxseed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 28, 2004

Omega-3 fatty acids can help lower your risk for heart disease, boost the immune system and protect against arrhythmias, but consuming enough can sometimes be a challenge.

Omega-3 fatty acids are found in fatty fish and flaxseed. Fatty fish includes tuna, salmon, sardines and herring. Other fish and some vegetable oils have omega-3s, just in much smaller amounts. You can buy flaxseed as whole seeds, ground flaxseeds and flaxseed flour. Flaxseed can be used in breads or muffins, either as whole seeds or ground and used in place of some of the flour.

Flaxseed can also be found in food products in the supermarket. Breads, cereals, energy bars, pancake and waffle mixes are a few of the options available.

http://www.eatright.org/Public/index_20415.cfm

I thought it was pretty cool that a mainstream organization such as the ADA was finally recommending that there is another place, besides fish, that we can get our omega-3's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-28-2004, 10:35 AM
Veggie Regular

indeed, i just added 2 spoons to my vegetable juice a minute ago
#3 Old 09-28-2004, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

It's also important to note that very little of the Omega-3 from flaxseed is absorbed unless it is ground, as the seeds are very small and will go right through you. I still see a lot of products advertisting "x amount of Omega-3 per serving" but when you read the ingredients the product contains only whole flaxseeds.

It is great to see them recommending flax as well as fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-28-2004, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

i have a question... do lacto-ovo types need to do the flaxseed thing? just curious.
#5 Old 09-28-2004, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I use Bob's Red Mill Flaxseed Meal everytime I eat cereal :9... oh wait
#6 Old 09-28-2004, 01:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by desolationangel View Post

i have a question... do lacto-ovo types need to do the flaxseed thing? just curious.

Well, l/o's need omega-3's just as much as vegans do. I found some Organic Valley eggs that have omega-3's, but they only have 225 mg per egg. The daily recommendation is 1 gram per day, so unless you ate 4 of those eggs per day, you need another source! (And I'm not sure you want all the cholesterol of 4 eggs/day!) Walnuts are also a source of omega-3's but I'm not sure how much they have.
#7 Old 09-28-2004, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

oh god no, i don't even like eggs. okay, so i'm going to buy me some flaxseeds tomorrow!

where do omnis who are allergic to seafood get theirs? they probably just don't think about it.
#8 Old 09-29-2004, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by desolationangel View Post

where do omnis who are allergic to seafood get theirs? they probably just don't think about it.

yeah, I think most vegetarians and especially vegans take more effort to get all of the nutrients they need, since there are certain ones they have to be "careful" about. Since an omni diet technically CAN include all of the nutrients humans need, I think most omnis don't pay as much attention. I know lots of omnis who don't eat fish, barring the occasional fancy lobster dinner (which isn't high in omega-3's anyway!) Even the first time I was a lacto-ovo, I think I had this false sense of security much like most omnis do. I never ate any flax and hardly any walnuts back then. I think now, having been in the vegan world before, I am much more careful. And of course, now that I am a mommy I am obsessed about making sure my family gets every single nutrient that we need!
#9 Old 09-29-2004, 06:03 PM

Any tips on grinding? I would assume a coffee grinder would work, but if you don't have one of those, what about a blender?

How fine does it have to be? Powder form?

Also, in what section of the grocery store would you find them? Organic/veg*n section, or is there another place?
#10 Old 09-29-2004, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

You can buy it already ground if you don't have a grinder. Bob's Red Mill has a pre-ground one, you would find that in the organic section. I've also seen bags of whole flaxseeds in the bulk section (where they have bags of nuts, dried fruit etc.) I don't know if a blender would work, I've never tried it.

BTW, those little electric coffee grinders are so handy and you can get them pretty cheap. I saw one at the supermarket for $10. (That was AFTER I already bought mine, of course, for much more than $10!)
#11 Old 10-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

The article doesn't surprise me because the ADA isn't anti veggie. It might look like they are sometimes because they are mostly omnivores and their information is provided mainly for omnivores.

colorful; my memory is fuzzy about omega-3's; it's been a while since I read about them but here I go anyway. I don't think there is an official recommendation for omega-3's not in the US anyway. Recommendations I've seen from experts for veggies were at least 2 grams. I think the recommendation for veggies is higher than for omnivores because we don't usually get much if any through direct sources of DHA and EPA (we get mosly LNA and little if any EPA and DHA). If you are getting a lot of it from eggs then perhaps you don't need as much because eggs are a direct source of DHA.

MusicWithNoBan; I think that if a person doesn't have the equipment to grind flaxseeds then it's well worth buying,at least that's the situation where I live. Ground flax seeds are far more expensive than unground. And a coffee grinder costs only about $10US. In a short time the difference in price would pay for a coffee grinder. Also unground flaxseeds have a much longer shelf life so you don't have to worry as much about them spoiling.

Would your blender work. Well, coffee grinders are usually recommended and they don't grind it real fine; my coffee grinder just grinds it into a meal. If your blender grinds it into a meal then I'm sure that's good enough. I don't think a person could grind it into a power because of the high oil content; it would turn into a butter rather than a powder. I notice that when I grind it a lot it becomes moist and clumps together.
#12 Old 10-01-2004, 04:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm lacto/ovo and my mom makes me take to essential fatty acid capsules (no geletain!) everyday and they're like bright orange, they look like jelly beans.
#13 Old 10-12-2004, 12:27 PM

Yeah so I've been lurking but I've decided to start posting. I started using flaxseed last week when I was sick and I think I suffered an allergic reaction to it. I broke into hives and I was having problems breathing. It was almost so serious that I had to go to the hospital *but* I stuck it out and eventually with the help of Claritin (and self control for not itching myself). Has anyone heard about this? It's the only thing in my diet I changed and I don't *think* I came into contact with anything funky or new...
#14 Old 10-12-2004, 11:49 PM
Beginner

that article says to use the flax in baking. does anyone know if the efa quality is affected after it has been heated. i've just received a gluten-free vegan baking recipe book and am using flax as an egg replacer - so if on a certain day i don't put my flaxmeal on my salad, but instead i eat some muffins made with the flax, will i still get what i need in terms of efa? (assuming the same amount of flaxmeal was used in both)
#15 Old 10-13-2004, 06:48 AM
Veggie Regular

baking doesn't affect the omega 3's in the flax. the temperature doesn't get high enough (unlike if you were cooking with the oil on the stove). so bake away.

botulismo--that's horrible! i haven't heard of flax allergy before but it wouldn't shock me. that would be really bad tho since you need a consistent source of long chain omega3s. did you have a lot at once? maybe try just having a tiny amount and see how that affects you (i don't want to send you into anaphelactic shock or anything, tho!) you could always get an allergy test done
#16 Old 10-13-2004, 07:55 AM
Banned

Are you allergic to other nuts? Walnuts are another good source.
#17 Old 10-13-2004, 03:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Flaxseeds??

i heard of them before but i never ate them

i wonder how they taste

#18 Old 10-13-2004, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

So if I eat them by the hand full it isn't helping me with anything?
#19 Old 10-13-2004, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carried View Post

So if I eat them by the hand full it isn't helping me with anything?

you mean whole seeds? no, not really. the hulls have to be cracked for your body to get the good stuff, otherwise they'll pass right thru. you can blend them in a coffee grinder.
#20 Old 10-14-2004, 09:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by catswym View Post

you mean whole seeds? no, not really. the hulls have to be cracked for your body to get the good stuff, otherwise they'll pass right thru. you can blend them in a coffee grinder.

yeah, the whole seeds...my mom told me to eat them that way. actually i just swallow them because they're so small. i'll get a coffee grinder
#21 Old 10-14-2004, 02:11 PM

Well, I did eat quite a bit but definitely not more than one would eat in one day. I'm not allergic to any other kind of nuts as far as I know. I don't have any other allergies quite like this so it's really strange for me to recognize it. Everybody who saw me could tell it was obviously hives, though... I'll look into eating walnuts, though. They're easier to munch on than flax anyway!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page