6Likes
  • 1 Post By BiteSizeVegan
  • 3 Post By 121938
  • 1 Post By Alex Goldman
  • 1 Post By Knowtions In Motion

#1 Old 10-13-2016, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Are Vegans More Depressed?

Are vegans more depressed than non-vegans? What does the science say? Unsurprisingly, there is a great deal of back and forth within the medical, scientific, and lay communities, about the impact of veganism on mental health, with ample studies indicating the mood enhancing benefits of a whole foods vegan diet, while others suggest a correlation between veg inclinations and incidents of mental illness.

--------
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

YouTube:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Facebook:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-27-2016, 04:02 PM
Beginner

I once read an article in PubMed that said that people who quit eating meat found that their mood improved. That would stand to reason wouldn't it because if you are eating animals that were terrified (and full of flight/fight hormones) when they died, wouldn't you be eating those same hormones and wouldn't that have an impact on the eater?

On the other hand, I think that the depression that seems to accompany veganism so much is the effect of living in a meat centric world where 'they' don't care about the suffering and 'they' don't want to hear about it. Speaking for myself, I know what is happening to all those animals and it truly affects me emotionally! I feel sick about it every time it comes to mind and I think about it pretty much most of the time, hence depressed most of the time. And it doesn't help when people shut you down if you even hint that you're going to say something, that is just more fuel for the 'depression fire'. Or at least it is for me.

I alternate between depressed and hating the world because they don't care.
#3 Old 12-27-2016, 11:43 PM

I don't know whether vegans have anything to do with depression. Well, I know many vegans who are really active and energetic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-21-2017, 03:02 PM
regular person

I think I'd agree with this experientially. I felt more stable in mood actually after becoming vegan. There was kind of a lightness in feeling. Not that I was changed drastically as a person but I felt that my mind was less heavy and bogged down
#5 Old 01-21-2017, 05:30 PM
Vegan, Mostly WFPB

I feel lighter in so many ways, yet feel weighted in ways I didn't know existed until I made the change, if that makes sense.

I went from being a typical SAD eater and heavy soda/alcohol drinker, weighing in at over 300 lbs, being damn near bed ridden, as recent as 4 years ago, diagnosed through the years with depression, adhd, anxiety, nervous stomach, IBS, arthritis, and fibormyalgia, all being diagnosed as "severe", taking upwards of at least 5 heavy duty prescriptions daily, with some extras here and there based on symptoms, to now weighing in at 190, feeling healthier and more full of life than I ever recall, taking no more prescriptions, although I now take several supplements (D3, B12, zinc, magnesium, C, multi) and an occasional tincture (milk thistle, burdock root, comfrey, stinging nettle, etc.), and drink daily herbal "tea" blends.

I still fall into some of the depressive ditches from time to time, especially when hearing the cries of the dairy cows in the distance at a neighboring dairy farm, or riding by the livestock trucks and pastures full of those precious beings, or entering the grocery store or a restaurant, seeing my family compounding their own pain via their forks in spite of knowing the consequences, or being made to feel like I'm an alien from another planet in my beliefs and actions in my attempts at interacting or sharing personal experiences.

But I'm able to more clearly see and recognize the roots of those emotions now and can dig them up and deal with them instead of fertilizing them with even more s*** to foster their ongoing growth. I could never knowingly not be vegan now that I've experienced the benefits. So grateful for the seed planters and information gatherers who so freely share their experiences and hard-learned knowledge. My life has been greatly enriched by you.
ashleycharters likes this.
#6 Old 10-12-2019, 10:06 AM
haimen

I don't think vegans are more depressed. Thy eat normal foods. And their cholesterol level remain always controllable. Also they are more energetic.
#7 Old 11-02-2019, 10:03 AM

Vegans are not able to take vitamin B12 as the source of this vitamin is animal-based foods. B12 is able to control mental health and protect the nervous system from damage. Thus it helps to fight against anxiety and depression. To get this vitamin vegan person can take vitamin B12 supplements.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in