Feeling bad after quitting coffee. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-06-2016, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
Feeling bad after quitting coffee.

Guys. Help!

I got awful migraines for years. YEARS.
And they went away at the end of last year which I assumed was part of the healing from Coeliac diagnosis but admittedly that was when a 2 coffees a day habit started up again.
I've wanted to cut back for many reasons but never could until about a month ago and finally I'm free of the addiction and feeling more energetic and less guilty about fertility issues etc. .... and saving money! BUT.
My migraines are back?! Daily.
I don't get it?!
I thought it was withdrawal and was accepting of that but it's been almost a month so it can't be that.

Could coffee have been keeping them away? I know they say it helps if you have one (and I definitely found that) but I don't think it's preventative?!

The only reason I suspect that couldn't be the case is i had a brief 2 coffees stint earlier and still had migraines. Go figure.

My other thought is that maybe something else is causing them and the coffee masked them?

Helllllp . I don't want to go back to coffee and feel sure that's not the problem but dunno what is....

I've been eating a bit of full cream yoghurt in the morning (long story) after years without dairy... could that be it? I didn't get migraines the first 2 weeks of it... Could it have a delayed reaction? BOTHER.

Endrant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-06-2016, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
Have also been having ridiculously 'loose stool'. To the point of getting quite dehydrated.
I thought it was related to the migraines. But actually...as I typed this I'm thinking yoghurt is no different to any other dairy.

BLEURGH.

Struggling to make my fat quota without it. Can only eat so many nuts. And it does good things for my skin because it does good things for my hormone. My bloods come back with hugely low estrogen every time I have no dairy. How else can I raise it?!
#3 Old 10-06-2016, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Nuts and avocadoes are the healthiest fat, and maybe occasional junk foods for fat don't hurt. you don't need that much fat, do you? If you eat a modest amount of nuts and avocados, along with the fats in other foods, it might be enough?

Headaches after withdrawing coffee makes sense, but for a whole month. Anyway, coffee is a drug, you are better off without it, people take coffee as a comforter, but it's more healthful to figure out how to reduce stress, sleep more or whatever else. Long term you are better off without it would be my guess.

I'm not basing tihs much on personnal experience or research, but it's always been my gut feeling.

A friend or a friend on facebook was talking about how they gave up coffee and at first weren't feeling too great but after a while felt better than ever - that was much less than a month though, more like a week.

good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-06-2016, 07:06 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beets&Beats View Post
Guys. Help!

I got awful migraines for years. YEARS.
And they went away at the end of last year which I assumed was part of the healing from Coeliac diagnosis but admittedly that was when a 2 coffees a day habit started up again.
I've wanted to cut back for many reasons but never could until about a month ago and finally I'm free of the addiction and feeling more energetic and less guilty about fertility issues etc. .... and saving money! BUT.
My migraines are back?! Daily.
I don't get it?!
I thought it was withdrawal and was accepting of that but it's been almost a month so it can't be that.

Could coffee have been keeping them away? I know they say it helps if you have one (and I definitely found that) but I don't think it's preventative?!

The only reason I suspect that couldn't be the case is i had a brief 2 coffees stint earlier and still had migraines. Go figure.

My other thought is that maybe something else is causing them and the coffee masked them?

Helllllp . I don't want to go back to coffee and feel sure that's not the problem but dunno what is....

I've been eating a bit of full cream yoghurt in the morning (long story) after years without dairy... could that be it? I didn't get migraines the first 2 weeks of it... Could it have a delayed reaction? BOTHER.

Endrant.

That sounds terrible!

There are medical clinics that specialize exclusively in the treatment of migraine. New treatment have been developed in recent years. Have you tried going to one of them?

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page