Home Allergy remedies? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-22-2004, 07:45 AM

I am at wits end...this year has been terrible with the allergies, and I have really been feeling it. Four days in a row, I have been sneezing and stuff and it really sucks. Plus, I keep feeling very, very tired in the middle of the say, so I tend to sleep alot..which is cutting into my homework time. My Zyrtec hasn't been working...I would have made an appt. with the doctor, but since my 'rents are going away this week, I can't make it to the doctors...so, untill I can make it, does anyone know of any home remedy type things that I can try?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-22-2004, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

This past spring I avoided getting my usual sinus infection (caused by allergies) by taking some steps - using a neti pot usually once a day before bed, drinking lots of water/juice, taking Emergen-C once a day, and using a humidifier (one in bedroom (most important!) and one in living room). I also took an allergy supplement (I think it was Gaia Herb's Aller-Leaf, but I'm not sure), but I'm not sure how much of an effect it had. I also have air purifiers in the bedroom and living room. I must mention that I take Allegra-D and Flonase year round, but can get sick in the spring despite this.

ETA: I thought about buying one of those facial steamers, but never got around to it. The shower or a boiling pot of water probably works just as well.
#3 Old 09-22-2004, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy13 View Post

This past spring I avoided getting my usual sinus infection (caused by allergies) by taking some steps - using a neti pot usually once a day before bed, drinking lots of water/juice, taking Emergen-C once a day, and using a humidifier (one in bedroom (most important!) and one in living room). I also took an allergy supplement (I think it was Gaia Herb's Aller-Leaf, but I'm not sure), but I'm not sure how much of an effect it had. I also have air purifiers in the bedroom and living room. I must mention that I take Allegra-D and Flonase year round, but can get sick in the spring despite this.

ETA: I thought about buying one of those facial steamers, but never got around to it. The shower or a boiling pot of water probably works just as well.

Wow, that's alot! A few questions, what's a neti-pot? and What is Emergen-C? A suppliment?...I think I will try the steam/humidifier option. I actually wondered out loud to my mom the other day if a humidifier would help the allergies. Thanks for the ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-22-2004, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Neti Pots

Emergen-C

I used steam humidifiers, too. 'They' recommend the cool mist ones, but to me the steam ones are quieter and easier to clean and maintain. They're especially helpful when using A/C or heat because they generally de-humidify the air in your home. The one in the bedroom helped me not wake up with sandpaper throat.
#5 Old 09-22-2004, 10:16 AM

A couple times a week I put my pillows out on the front porch to get some fresh air and then I beat the crap out of them to poof them up. I also keep my headboard dust free. Both help me to not wake up all stuffy. I also wash/change all my bedding once a week and vaccum at least 3 to 4 times a week.
#6 Old 09-22-2004, 10:28 AM
Veggie Regular

I do the washing, too, but putting any bedding outside might not be a good idea if pollens are the trigger. Not allowing pets onto the bed helps, too. They get used to it.
#7 Old 09-22-2004, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, outside = bad. I use pillow casings. I had a mattress casing, too, but the mattress I bought three or so years ago was too big for it, and I haven't gotten around to a new one. I got a humidifier recently, a cool mist model that doesn't require filter replacements (from Hunter brand at Amazon), and it seems to help a little. I have the hardest time staying consistent with my Allegra. I keep forgetting about it until a meal and, of course, you're supposed to wait 2 hours after eating to take one (or eat an hour after taking one), so I end up missing it. I've also been using the Rhinocort spray, but I'm honestly not sure if that's as effective as Naserel. I hate the Naserel spray, though. It sends that crap so far up, I can taste it coming all the way down my throat and to the back of my mouth. Bleacch! I hate drugs.
#8 Old 09-22-2004, 08:08 PM

I've had some good luck with Nettle Leaf extract mixed into some water/beverage. Although, I've heard that some folks can actually have a reaction to the Nettle, causing MORE sneezing, instead of less.

Ditto to the suggestions of washing/bedcovers and humidifiers. Keeping the bedroom as a kind of "allergen-free" haven makes a big difference for me.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#9 Old 12-06-2008, 04:01 PM
Banned

I have been looking around for home remedies and I have found a few out there. One I can tell you is to drink green teas.They are known for helping with quite a few different types of allergies. They have antihistamines in them and also calm you down. I would also take a look at this link.

http://remediesforallergies.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page