Unable to eat from anxiety! need a vegan meal replacement - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By knowledge is power

#1 Old 08-04-2016, 01:55 PM

Exclamation Unable to eat from anxiety! need a vegan meal replacement

I have always had anxiety problems(i'm also not pregnant), but for the past few weeks my anxiety has been really bad. I feel sick anytime i eat, I've barely been eating anything which makes me feel dizzy. I don't seem to have a problem with liquids. Can anybody tell me some sort of meal replacement drink i could have so i can stop feeling so weak. preferably something with not too much flavour in it. thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-04-2016, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
Oh sweetheart, that is HORRIBLE. I lived for a year like that about a decade ago now (woah, time flies?!).
The frustrating part is (as I'm sure you're finding) not eating makes the anxiety worse because your brain doesn't get the nourishment it needs and all those calming chemicals that come from good food.

I don't know about meal replacement liquids but I do know the power of a good stew or blended lentil and potato meal-soup. I also started, for the first time in my life, watching TV (any kind of chilled out happy series) whilst eating and that really helped with distraction. EVERY single time, once something was in my stomach I started to feel better and often by the end of the meal I was even hungry. Then you get on a roll with that and remember it the next time and just have to actually force in those first few bits.

I will also say that despite the solid year of 24/7 nauseous anxiety (including whilst 'sleeping'), I was not ONCE sick after or during eating even though I feared I would be.

Is that any use?
#3 Old 08-04-2016, 03:27 PM
Veggie Regular

My anxiety is sky high too and this week I can't keep anything down either. not sure if it's a virus or the anxiety itself. I have a major exam coming up. I had my teeth cleaned Monday and while they are perfectly healthy and fine, the exam hurt more than usual and my sinuses and teeth hurt like crazy. Never in my life had a dental exam that painful before. I had a different cleaning tech than I usually do. Never again will I schedule with her lol. It was like being in one of those torture films.

At any rate (sips on cashew milk and eats little bites of cornmeal mush), some vegan meal replacement drinks (not cheap though) are these:

https://www.amazon.com/Orgain-Vegan-.../dp/B00JTX7SHC

(I tried this one...ordered it by the case through Amazon.com for "snacks" or on the go when long distance cycling/hiking). I find it to be fairly bland. It is low in sugar, not incredibly tasty but not too bad. It is similar to Ensure if you ever had those, but maybe less sweet.

https://www.soylent.com/

I haven't tried this one at all.

Smoothies are always an option. If you don't want a sweet smoothie, blend some tofu and banana and a little squirt of lemon juice. Or try some carrot juice. I see in previous posts you have a vitamix? Green smoothies with a little fruit and seeds can really pack a nutritional punch, but might be harder on the tummy. I did ok yesterday blending a mango and banana and some cashew milk for a meal. I added some Vega protein powder with it. I had to sip it slow though.

I would definitely give your doctor a call. It's not good to have anxiety that is so bad it causes you not to be able to eat. I should also heed my own advice....

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-04-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beets&Beats View Post
Oh sweetheart, that is HORRIBLE. I lived for a year like that about a decade ago now (woah, time flies?!).
The frustrating part is (as I'm sure you're finding) not eating makes the anxiety worse because your brain doesn't get the nourishment it needs and all those calming chemicals that come from good food.

I don't know about meal replacement liquids but I do know the power of a good stew or blended lentil and potato meal-soup. I also started, for the first time in my life, watching TV (any kind of chilled out happy series) whilst eating and that really helped with distraction. EVERY single time, once something was in my stomach I started to feel better and often by the end of the meal I was even hungry. Then you get on a roll with that and remember it the next time and just have to actually force in those first few bits.

I will also say that despite the solid year of 24/7 nauseous anxiety (including whilst 'sleeping'), I was not ONCE sick after or during eating even though I feared I would be.

Is that any use?
thanks for comment i can usually manage to eat a few small things a day, but it's getting so much harder. I think i'll try to eat some soups, i was even thinking maybe a smoothie a day could keep me going for a bit. Also if you don't mind me asking, how did you get rid of your anxiety nausea? it seems like nothing i do gets rid of my anxiety.
#5 Old 08-04-2016, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
My anxiety is sky high too and this week I can't keep anything down either. not sure if it's a virus or the anxiety itself. I have a major exam coming up. I had my teeth cleaned Monday and while they are perfectly healthy and fine, the exam hurt more than usual and my sinuses and teeth hurt like crazy. Never in my life had a dental exam that painful before. I had a different cleaning tech than I usually do. Never again will I schedule with her lol. It was like being in one of those torture films.

At any rate (sips on cashew milk and eats little bites of cornmeal mush), some vegan meal replacement drinks (not cheap though) are these:

(I tried this one...ordered it by the case through Amazon.com for "snacks" or on the go when long distance cycling/hiking). I find it to be fairly bland. It is low in sugar, not incredibly tasty but not too bad. It is similar to Ensure if you ever had those, but maybe less sweet.

Smoothies are always an option. If you don't want a sweet smoothie, blend some tofu and banana and a little squirt of lemon juice. Or try some carrot juice. I see in previous posts you have a vitamix? Green smoothies with a little fruit and seeds can really pack a nutritional punch, but might be harder on the tummy. I did ok yesterday blending a mango and banana and some cashew milk for a meal. I added some Vega protein powder with it. I had to sip it slow though.

I would definitely give your doctor a call. It's not good to have anxiety that is so bad it causes you not to be able to eat. I should also heed my own advice....

school just makes everything worse, doesn't it? I recently started going to night school, and since i didn't have the greatest time in high school I've been extremely anxious. It always amazes me how stupid things that make me anxious can make me this physically sick. thanks so much for the links (ordering the second i finish typing this) i'll give the smoothies a try too. i probably should, it's been a lifelong problem though so i don't really know what else he could do. Thanks so much for your advice, i'll make sure to give them a try and best of luck to you with your anxiety (and test)
#6 Old 08-04-2016, 07:17 PM
Veteran vegan

My depression and anxiety have become severe again since I am unemployed. I don't eat until after midday most days. I need activity and company but my anxiety is social. I can't win.
Gotta force the food down. I'm not nauseated, but I have been there in the past. I don't want to get to that point again.
#7 Old 08-05-2016, 02:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledge is power View Post
My depression and anxiety have become severe again since I am unemployed. I don't eat until after midday most days. I need activity and company but my anxiety is social. I can't win.
Gotta force the food down. I'm not nauseated, but I have been there in the past. I don't want to get to that point again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledge is power View Post
Do you have help with finances? I really don't know anything about your situation, but I can imagine the frustration of being unemployed as I have been there in the past. I have a social anxiety related disorder and I remember the agony of resumes and interviews too, on top of wondering how to pay bills and what to do with my life. To keep my anxiety to a manageable level, I would keep active, try to get out of the house each day and be productive in some way. Even if it wasn't looking for work. I would visit people, or volunteer somewhere, or go to a support group. I have been through a LOT of mental health services over the years. Mental health support groups were and are invaluable. You'd be surprised at how many free ones are out there too. Face to face human interaction is so important. If I withdrew from the world too much, the anxiety and depression would become worse, to the point of being unmanageable. I was hospitalized inpatient on mental health units numerous times throughout my teens and twenties due to my depression and anxiety, especially when I would isolate too long. Some were voluntary, some were forced.

I know when I don't feel well, or my anxiety is high, making scratch meals just isn't a priority. Keep quick and simple ingredients around...instant oats, couscous, pastas, canned beans, frozen mixed vegetables, tomato sauce, bread for plain toast. Dry toast with applesauce on top is great for when you just can't stomach much. You need the strength physically to deal with the mental stuff too.

I hope your situation improves! And here I am at 4am in the morning wide awake with my own anxiety. I'm so glad it's Friday!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 08-05-2016, 02:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Maybe we could have a virtual mental health support group somewhere on Veggieboards.
karenlovessnow and LedBoots like this.

#9 Old 08-05-2016, 09:02 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Maybe we could have a virtual mental health support group somewhere on Veggieboards.
Im totally down with that idea
#10 Old 08-05-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I'm definitely on board with that
#11 Old 08-05-2016, 07:01 PM
Veteran vegan

Quote:
Do you have help with finances? I really don't know anything about your situation, but I can imagine the frustration of being unemployed as I have been there in the past. I have a social anxiety related disorder and I remember the agony of resumes and interviews too, on top of wondering how to pay bills and what to do with my life. To keep my anxiety to a manageable level, I would keep active, try to get out of the house each day and be productive in some way. Even if it wasn't looking for work. I would visit people, or volunteer somewhere, or go to a support group. I have been through a LOT of mental health services over the years. Mental health support groups were and are invaluable. You'd be surprised at how many free ones are out there too. Face to face human interaction is so important. If I withdrew from the world too much, the anxiety and depression would become worse, to the point of being unmanageable. I was hospitalized inpatient on mental health units numerous times throughout my teens and twenties due to my depression and anxiety, especially when I would isolate too long. Some were voluntary, some were forced.

I know when I don't feel well, or my anxiety is high, making scratch meals just isn't a priority. Keep quick and simple ingredients around...instant oats, couscous, pastas, canned beans, frozen mixed vegetables, tomato sauce, bread for plain toast. Dry toast with applesauce on top is great for when you just can't stomach much. You need the strength physically to deal with the mental stuff too.

I hope your situation improves! And here I am at 4am in the morning wide awake with my own anxiety. I'm so glad it's Friday!
I'm on the dole, and it's enough for bills food etc.
I should rejoin a social anxiety group on meetup. I do volunteering sometimes, but it's hard to make myself go. Once I'm there I'm fine.
Naturebound likes this.
#12 Old 08-07-2016, 04:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Wondering how everyone is doing?

I have been able to eat a bit more now, though my stomach is still just slightly nauseated and my anxiety level still high. I've been doing number 2 a bit more than usual. This morning I just had a bowl of cooked wild rice and chopped apple and cinnamon, and I can feel my tummy rumbling already lol, but I did at least enjoy the meal. I am facing down some hard tasks at work today (it's my day off but I am so overwhelmingly behind because some of this work is over my head and I have little help figuring it out so it's taking me longer to do).

At least I don't have to talk to anyone, attend meetings, that sort of thing.

Do you guys find it hard to sleep? No matter how exhausted you are? I sometimes really try to rest, lay down for a bit because my body screams for rest, but it is futile as my mind won't stop and the guilt of not doing anything is horrendous. At night I can take valerien root and it helps me at least get a deeper sleep. But I still get up way too early.

If you like cream of wheat or cornmeal mush, those are very easy on the stomach, sort of bland, and easy to get down.

#13 Old 08-07-2016, 07:26 AM
Veggie Regular

You've gotten some good replies. I would also suggest putting a few teaspoon of virgin coconut oil, or walnut oil in your drinks (or what food you do eat-- it is great in rice). Fats are a very calorie dense, choice if you are not getting enough calories.

I have always been plagued by anxiety. In more recent years though, first I lost my house, then I watched a friend die of cancer, then I went to graduate school, now I am at the point where I must job hunt. I have been helped through it by Prozac! A small dose. It helps with anxiety. Believe me I did not want to get into the prescription drugs at all, but after taking them for awhile (there was a breaking in period) I can deal with my life much better.

Last edited by Gita; 08-07-2016 at 07:32 AM.
#14 Old 08-08-2016, 08:23 PM
cinnamon bun

Quote:

Orgain is a good one. It keeps me full for hours. Have you/anybody else tried MRM veggie protein powder or veggie meal replacement? I've heard good things

#15 Old 08-09-2016, 02:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Location: Melbourne, Australia. A haven of a country! But my heart is where my earliest years were spent in California and Canada as well...
Nooooooo!!!!

I wrote about 3 pages in reply and it hasn't sent?!?!? GARRRRR....
I'll try again tomorrow.

Oh, that's such a bummer . I now have to cook dinner...

Offering much solidarity though .
#16 Old 08-09-2016, 03:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh that's truly a disappointing reply. I wrote so much about everything that's worked for me and might work for you, as well as thoughts on how you sound like you're feeling. Argh. Oh my . But yes, must cook. And I hope everyone's having a good day today? I'm FAMISHED. And whilst I no longer struggle to eat, I rarely get hungry! Ha. Strange. As in...STARVING despite eating a lot already. I like it!
#17 Old 08-09-2016, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok so... not writing the torrent of personal and learned info I originally responded with as running quite late but in boring dotpoint form...

-I hope everyone's doing ok!

-Naturebound, I hope your virus is easing up! I can't find the post now but there was something in there about your sleeping patterns and I really resonated with it because they were mine until this year! I was sure they were 'just me' or maybe 'anxiety' but when my estrogen levels rose for various reasons my ability to fall asleep but also to stay asleep and sleep in changed and never disappeared again. What are your hormone levels like, I wonder? Also, a friend has just had huge success with cutting free glutamate down in her diet (she's vegan and things like soy are very high in it, she tells me...) particularly at night. Her RLS is gone but also her mind is able 'to slow down'. Might be worth Googling?
Of course it could just be that you're one of those smart and overthinking sorts whose brain is just on superchurn because it is. I find writing down all the thoughts in my head at night and promising I'll come back to them the next day quite effective.

-K.i.P , how are you today?
Super super abridged... I was always anxious and a highly strung kid but my anxiety and inability to eat came overnight (literally. I remember the first day it happened like it was yesterday) and stopped the same way. One day it was just gone. I'm still not totally sure what resolved it (so a little part of me will always worry it will reappear, except that I don't think it will) but I think it was a combination of things. I was told I had Coeliac disease so my diet changed dramatically and it stopped about 6 months after that. I'm wary to say it was actually because of that though because if I go down that path then all kinds of things that happened to happen after that doctor's appointment could be attributed to it when it might've been completely unrelated! It could be worth checking out if anything biological is happening, though. I had a lot of deficiencies because I hadn't been absorbing well and lots of minerals and vitamins help keep us calm. I also had low hormones as mentioned above so things like the anxiety being worse right before my (really irregular) period when estrogen was at its lowest but just generally always being around stopped when I resumed normal hormone levels. I had nightsweats and stuff too and that's all signals of that.
I'm a psychologist so I did a lot of mindfulness and what not but in honesty, I don't think it was that and it felt very very physical.
Yet I also know because of this training that it always does! So I'm not totally sure, to this day, what exactly happened.
It was extreme though. And about a month after it started I also started having panic attacks when I left the house, for fear I'd throw up or something. It was bizarre. And horrible. And then it stopped. And I'm SURE it will for you. Either because you get to the bottom of it or because you don't and it just does. But alas you have to stay alive throughout so the best method does seem to be distraction, liquid foods and doing what you can, eh?
#18 Old 08-09-2016, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beets&Beats View Post
Ok so... not writing the torrent of personal and learned info I originally responded with as running quite late but in boring dotpoint form...

-I hope everyone's doing ok!

-Naturebound, I hope your virus is easing up! I can't find the post now but there was something in there about your sleeping patterns and I really resonated with it because they were mine until this year! I was sure they were 'just me' or maybe 'anxiety' but when my estrogen levels rose for various reasons my ability to fall asleep but also to stay asleep and sleep in changed and never disappeared again. What are your hormone levels like, I wonder? Also, a friend has just had huge success with cutting free glutamate down in her diet (she's vegan and things like soy are very high in it, she tells me...) particularly at night. Her RLS is gone but also her mind is able 'to slow down'. Might be worth Googling?
Of course it could just be that you're one of those smart and overthinking sorts whose brain is just on superchurn because it is. I find writing down all the thoughts in my head at night and promising I'll come back to them the next day quite effective.
Hi Beets&Beats,

I am in surgical menopause going on 11 years now. I had a hysterectomy and lost both ovaries when I was 33 years old. I had not wanted to lose my ovaries (I was told by the surgeon he MIGHT take them if they were diseased...only one actually was but he took both of them anyway...I later read the op report of my surgery). It took three solid years of hell for me to even become functional again. I had to go from full time working to part time for the next 8 years. Surgical menopause is slam bam there you are no transition period. I went from a woman in her prime (albeit with endometriosis) to menopause overnight. I had no idea what that entailed until I entered it. At any rate, I went to so many different doctors, even naturopaths, trying to find my old self again, get my energy back, stop the horrid migraines I never had in my life til I lost my ovaries. I tried every hormone known to man...patches, pills, creams, troches, sublingual drops. I tried progesterone and female testosterone and different types of estrogens...estriol, estradiol, estrone. I tried all kinds of crazy diets too. I was put on an anticandida diet in 2006, which meant no grains, no sugar, no fruit, nothing with yeast obviously, very low carb, no gluten. Basically I was eating fresh not smoked or cured meat and nonstarchy vegetables, a few nuts and seeds were allowed if without skin. I never felt so horrible in my life, no energy to speak of, terrible digestion. It triggered the start of a long battle with anorexia nervosa, something I never saw coming. It wasn't until 2007 that I was put on the Vivelle Dot patch, and something about the way that patch delivers straight estradiol through the skin evenly over a few days really helped me feel human again. Gone were the migraines, the body aches and joint pain, the exhaustion, the mood swings, crying spells, countless hot flashes and night sweats. I am still on that patch at the highest dose 9 years later. If I even miss a day (forget to change my patch) I start to notice. I am sure my hormone levels are much lower than someone my age with ovaries. I have never slept the way I did before my hysterectomy, even with the patch. I fall asleep easily, but wake up in the night and can't get back to sleep. It has been my reality for years. However, when I went through my eating disorder and had gotten down to a scary low weight, I didn't absorb the patch much, but I had so little body fat I was numb to everything and I didn't notice hormone fluctuations as much. My breasts deflated to completely flat. It complicated everything because I loved feeling numb like that, and not experiencing the hormone hell. At that point I was so angry at myself for having the surgery that I wanted no hips, no fat, no breasts to remind me of the hell I endured. I wanted to be a little boy. I even chopped my hair pixie short from shoulder length. But over time and treatment, I had an awakening of desire to live again, and have slowly begun to accept my body. I am 22 lbs heavier now, stronger, and functioning better. But I still struggle with hormones. And lack of sleep. Valerien root helps me get a deeper sleep, something I don't get often, but it doesn't keep me from waking too early. I used to dream vividly, but it's been years since I have experienced such dreams. I still have no sexual desire at all, but that is complicated by a myriad of things too, not just hormones. Long answer short lol, yes my hormone levels are less than they should be. I can't handle more hrt than I am on though. What I am on now works for me. I have to also be very careful about eliminating foods from my diet. I am happily vegan and eat quite a variety and I would like to keep it that way. I am not a big soy eater, but I do enjoy it occasionally. I do have to watch it because I also have hypothyroidism (have had it for 27 years). Too much soy too often can drive up my TSH, but moderation is perfectly fine. I used to play around with gluten and soy free vegan, or all raw, or whole foods only. None of those made me feel any better. I don't have a gluten allergy, and cooked food is as energizing to me as any raw.

I will say I am a worrier by nature. I am a perfectionist, but I also carry around a ton of guilt, and sometimes I don't have a clue where it comes from. I have been that way for years, and yes have been through countless therapy since I was a small child. I was 10 when my sister was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia, and i have mentally ill parents so I am very familiar with the human psyche and all the strange ways we cope.

I guess I rambled on a long time there too lol. My anxiety is very high now because I am preparing for a certification exam in September. It still feels like it is over my head, but IDK. I felt that way about the certification I already earned two years ago but I passed it with flying colors (I also studied five years a day for five months for it; this one I can't get near that much time to study with working long hours). This one is really just an extra for me, not required, but I still fear failure like crazy. And someone else in my department at work is taking it the same day and I think about how horrified I would be to fail it and she passes. So awkward! Half of our department failed it the first time, half passed. It wouldn't be the end of the world and I have a free retake but I still worry. With that I should get back to studying!

#19 Old 08-10-2016, 03:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh wow! What a journey for you so far but it sounds like you're walking the right path, huh?

I have to run out the door but wanted to say I heard every word of that post and it made so much sense and I really feel for you and the tough stuff you've made it through. You're clearly a very strong person. Which also bodes well for your exam! But means you have high self-expectations, eh? So good luck with both the study and the keeping it in perspective (not the worst thing in the world if you fail, as you say!) beside self-care etc. and keep us informed how you go! Even just day to day if you can be bothered!
We're definitely all here for you .

Tags
anxiety

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page