Drinking problem - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By ocrob37
  • 2 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By ocrob37

#1 Old 05-14-2016, 03:50 PM

Question Drinking problem

Well I know how it sound, but it's not that problem you think about I don't drink too much.
It is not long since I don't eat meat and animal products and I've realized that alcohol affects my body in a different way now. It's all alright during the evening, I'don't feel any extra sensations but the next morning i'am like a zombie even after 5 beers or a couple of shots.
Is it the way you had it too? Does it mean that I have to be more careful now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-14-2016, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I can tell you that being vegetarian, drinking hits me very hard. I would suggest always eating before drinking. I don't get hung over in the normal way. I just wake up feeling drunk. In my opinion and only from my experience I would say drinking as a vegetarian or vegan really hits hard. I am realizing that drinking does not fit with in our lifestyle. I am working on decreasing my drinking and hope to stop soon. It is something I am very aware of and it is a very hard thing to work on. I am completely self aware of my drinking and it is something I am working on. I have come to the conclusion that I will need to stop completely. It is a lot easier said than done. It is very easy or at least good that someone recognizes things that need to change. The next step is to actually do it and that is not easy. I have a very good friend that stopped drinking twenty years ago and I have seen the most positive things happen to his life. This may not be the same thing but I would suggest it is slightly close to becoming vegetarian when you know what you are doing is hurting the environment and other things including health and humanity. I realize I digressed and did not address your exact concern but am aware of how bad alcohol can be. Sorry for the derailment, but see the similarities between people that know they should stop eating meat and people that know they should not drink. Both are pretty bad, but I would argue that not eating meat actually contributes to society and not drinking contributes to ones health as long as they are not drinking in a way that also hurts society. I wish I did not love beer so much, but the same could be said for someone that loves eating meat. Just my thoughts and thought I would tie the two together only to make the point that both are bad and for some people eliminating alcohol would be a good thing as well. For those that drink moderately and love their two glasses of wine I am not talking to you. lol
#3 Old 05-14-2016, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Um, being vegan isn't a reason to stop drinking. We have many here who drink alcohol---and why http://www.barnivore.com/ exists.

What you're probably finding is that your diet now has less fat I would guess? Fewer calories?

Vegan doesn't imply healthier choices. You can eat seitan wings, french fries, battered pickles....
Ad Elie and Thalassa4 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-14-2016, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I truly hope my response did not say to stop drinking. I hope I was clear when I mentioned the two glasses of wine or maybe more. lol I always wonder if my posts get taken out of context and do get a little defensive. i was only talking about myself. Please enjoy and please do not think I was talking about you. I just had a few great beers and had some very good conversations. Life is good and please enjoy your weekend.
karenlovessnow likes this.
#5 Old 05-15-2016, 01:18 PM
Beginner

The hangovers do seem to be worse since being vegan.

I eat very healthy through the week, constantly hydrated then it can only take a few beers on Saturday night to make me feel awful the following day.
#6 Old 05-15-2016, 08:26 PM
Veggie Recycler

I think there's a possibility you aren't eating enough fat or calories to absorb the alcohol, which is sometimes common in new vegans, at least the calories part.

There's a reason why conventional bars sell deep fried snacks, or had bowls of high fat nuts back in the day.

I would suggest that if you choose to drink more than 2-3 drinks, that you be certain that you eat first, and when you do drink on weekend or whenever you are drinking more heavily, that you opt for veggie burgers and french fries, pizza with vegan cheese, battered zucchini or mushrooms, dishes with avacado or guacamole, or a nice vegan lunch "meat" sandwich with Just Mayo...things that are calorie dense and fatty. If you are doing low fat vegan or are only eating raw vegetables, or very light food with drinking more than the doctor recommended amount (which is 2-3 drinks, in the United States). You know how pain killers say to be careful if you consume three or more alcoholic beverages a day? You should also follow that for choosing what to eat.
#7 Old 05-18-2016, 08:07 AM

I have noticed that since becoming a vegetarian myself now when I drink even a glass of wine it hits me hard and I feel like I have done nothing but drink the night before. I remember when I could drink 1 - 2 glasses of wine and I would feel fine the next day but now I feel light headed, dry mouthed and really out of it which is never a nice feeling.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page