Three questions: Manganese, iodine, and fat intake? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-08-2016, 04:41 PM

Three questions: Manganese, iodine, and fat intake?

I've been entering what I eat daily into cronometer.com. I tend to not eat enough, maybe 1700-1800 calories, but today I bumped it up to 2741 and it said I was getting enough of all the nutrients I need. Woo! I plan on eating well like this every single day. I have a few questions though...

First question: According to cronometer, today I had 11 mg of manganese, which is apparently 685% of my daily recommendation. Is too much manganese consumption something to be concerned about?

Second question: Cronometer says absolutely nothing about iodine. Do I need to worry about getting enough? Some websites I've read suggest that vegans supplement, while most other places do not appear to mention iodine at all.

Third question: Cronometer also says that fat makes up 37% of the total amount of calories I ate today. The rest being 10% protein and 53% carbohydrates. Should I be eating less fat and more carbs? Or am I just worrying too much?

Sorry about all the questions! Thanks guys.

P.S. I'm nearly 16 years old, 5'5'' (possibly 5'6'' now?), about 124 pounds last time I weighed myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-08-2016, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Manganese toxicity from food sources is apparently unheard of. I also noticed this with my diet but after looking into it I don't worry at all.

I personally am eating a very small amount(less than a gram per day) of kombu right now for iodine. Depending on how much salt you eat and if it's iodized you may not need to worry. Iodine also varies significantly in foods and it depends on the soil so it's going to be very regional. I know this isn't much help and I feel the same way.......which is why I am munching the kombu.

As to answering your third question it seems to be a very personal thing. Some people seem to do great on high fat, other people high carb. Too much protein is potentially an issue, and same with fat really if you're getting trans and saturated fats. I personally don't worry about it so much, though I do try to meet my essential amino acids.
#3 Old 05-08-2016, 06:52 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember Ruby View Post
I've been entering what I eat daily into cronometer.com. I tend to not eat enough, maybe 1700-1800 calories, but today I bumped it up to 2741 and it said I was getting enough of all the nutrients I need. Woo! I plan on eating well like this every single day. I have a few questions though...

First question: According to cronometer, today I had 11 mg of manganese, which is apparently 685% of my daily recommendation. Is too much manganese consumption something to be concerned about?

Second question: Cronometer says absolutely nothing about iodine. Do I need to worry about getting enough? Some websites I've read suggest that vegans supplement, while most other places do not appear to mention iodine at all.

Third question: Cronometer also says that fat makes up 37% of the total amount of calories I ate today. The rest being 10% protein and 53% carbohydrates. Should I be eating less fat and more carbs? Or am I just worrying too much?

Sorry about all the questions! Thanks guys.

P.S. I'm nearly 16 years old, 5'5'' (possibly 5'6'' now?), about 124 pounds last time I weighed myself.

According to this reference, published by the U.S. National Institutes of Health, the tolerable upper limit of manganese intake is 9 mg per day for teenagers. However, this upper limit was calculated from sparse data: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK222332/

The Mayo Clinic states that no side effects or toxic effects have been reported from manganese: http://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supp...s/drg-20070154

The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (the world's largest association of Registered Dietitians) has published this webpage regarding iodine. It recommends sea vegetables as a natural vegetable source of iodine. Iodized salt is another source: http://www.eatright.org/resource/foo...rtant-nutrient

Veganhealth.org (a nutrition website authored by a vegan Registered Dietitian) includes a webpage about iodine: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/iodine

The World Health Organization recommends a safe / adequate protein intake of 0.38 grams per pound of lean body weight. Kaiser Permanenete (one of the largest health insurance companies in the United States) makes almost the exact same recommendation: https://share.kaiserpermanente.org/w...et-booklet.pdf . For a 124-pound person, this would be at least 47 grams of protein per day.

The American Heart Association recommends that people obtain 25% to 35% of their calories from healthy fat sources: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Condit...28_Article.jsp

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 05-08-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-10-2016, 04:38 PM

Thanks for your replies!

That's a relief. Honestly it sounds like a similar case to a lot of other nutrients. Toxicity isn't generally an issue unless supplements are taken.

I think kombu sounds like a healthier source of iodine than iodised salt. After all, excessive salt intake isn't a particularly good idea. Salt is never really iodised here in the UK, so I wouldn't really consume it unless I make a conscious effort to add it to things. Even half a teaspoon is quite a bit. Do you know where I can get kombu? Also, do I buy it dried, and do you just sprinkle a tiny amount on a sandwich or something for your daily intake?

Oh, and how much kombu is a gram? Quarter of a teaspoon? A pinch?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page