Trouble Staying Awake - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-26-2004, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

For quite a while now, (i.e. over a year) I've had a problem staying up in the evening. Like, I'm usually asleep around 8:30PM or 8PM, sometimes even earlier. And I don't wake up really early anymore either, usually up around 7-7:30AM now. I'm going to talk to my doctor about this next time I go there. I never really thought about it much till now. My energy starts to plummet around 6PM, (And I do eat dinner) and by 8:30ish I'm barely keeping my eyes open.

I thought about what I get for vitamins, etc. and I'm pretty well rounded, my nutritionist had said I'm pretty good, minus Omega-3, which I've added now w/ flax seeds. (He actually recommended flax seed oil in a vinagerette dressing, but, I just instead have been grinding my own flax seeds) So, I'm less inclined to think it's a vitamin deficency. I'm fairly high carb, and adequate protein. (Not really high protein, but, just enough) One thought that crossed my mind was some sort of wheat reaction, but, I don't feel sick or anything after having wheat products... Of course, I'm not going to rule that out, but, anyone have any other ideas?

I'm going to start logging my waking and sleeping time, and will also add in any caffeine I have, since that could influence things. After a few days I'll post that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-26-2004, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Do log that, and kill the caffeine. Try to establish regular waking times to force your body into a sleep cycle. You'll probably find it difficult at first, though what isn't difficult about what you're already going through? Also, make sure you're exposed to sunlight as early as you can, as that should help jog your body to be more alert.

See if that helps!
#3 Old 08-26-2004, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

:/ Yea, killing the caffeine is going to be hard. I'm used to at least one Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee a day, then a cup or two of my regular home brew. I've been doing that to try and keep myself awake when I really need to get stuff done in the evening...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-26-2004, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

kill the caffeine slowly or you will feel really, really bad for a couple of days.
#5 Old 08-27-2004, 11:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Headaches and the like. I haven't been able to break it, and haven't found sufficient reason to at the moment, though I would eventually like to find a better habit. If I had a Jamba Juice downstairs instead, I'd probably do a 16 oz. smoothie with energy boost every morning instead. Regardless of all that sugar, it's probably a better option than a flavored latte with two shots of espresso every morning.
#6 Old 08-27-2004, 11:26 AM
Beginner

I remember when I was feeling very tired I started taking B-Complex and it helped significantly. Do you take this?
#7 Old 08-27-2004, 11:44 AM
Veggie Regular

It's also possible that your tiredness is not related to food. Before I went on anti-depressants over 5 years ago, I used to have a really hard time getting up in the morning and I went to bed really early every night.
#8 Old 08-27-2004, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm on a general multivitamin formulated for vegans, looking at it I'm getting more than adequare B-6 and B-12, so I have that covered. I've been on Paxil, and that didn't change my sleeping habits. I don't have a really hard time getting up in the morning, but staying up is really difficult. I've been logging EVERYTHING (When I wake up, any pains like headaches, what I eat, etc.), and am going to go out on my deck and read for a while after I post this, to try and get some sun. My energy level today has pretty much bombed after noon.
#9 Old 08-27-2004, 01:41 PM
Jes
Veggie Regular

I find that eating whole grain breads and pastas gives my energy level significant staying-power. Eating white rice rather than brown, for instance, sets me up to fall asleep & be tired.

Also, you may want to look at where the majority of your foods fall in terms of the Glycemic Index. Foods high on the GI will make your blood sugar peak and fall so quickly.

A friend of mine just went gluten free and says that it has helped him SO much in terms of energy and he's also having an easier time recovering from sports injuries, but he never once felt sick after eating wheat products.

I hope you start feeling better soon!
#10 Old 08-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm eating pretty much all whole grains already. So far, today, heres how it's gone, from what I've logged:

6:30AM - Woke up

8:00AM - Breakfast (Falafel)

Energy was up at a normal, good level for the morning.

12:00PM-4:00PM - Lunch* (TVP wrap, chocolate soymilk, salad)

And I've had a drop in energy in the afternoon.

*Lunch was split up into 1/2, then 1/4 and 1/4 portions, and spread throughout 4 hours to see if that'd help with energy.
#11 Old 08-27-2004, 05:01 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a cookie about a half an hour ago, and I'm about ready for a nap now... Hrm.
#12 Old 08-27-2004, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah - I'm very similar. My sleep habits are awful. I'm exhausted all the time, it seems. Keep us posted sweetie. I'd love to hear if something works for you.
#13 Old 08-28-2004, 04:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Just to wrap up yesterdays log:

7:00PM - Went to sleep...

7:10AM - Woke up.
#14 Old 08-28-2004, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Aaand, my log from today...

7:10AM - Woke up. (Yea, I posted this before)

8:00AM - Breakfast (Falafel burger w/ hummus, 1 1/2c. soymilk)

1:30PM - Lunch (Bocaburger on bun w/ nayonaise, large iced decaf coffee

4:30PM - Dinner (Two Bocaburgers to get my calories up there, on bun...)

7:30PM (Or whenever I finish writing this) - Went to sleep.

As usual, my attention span dropped later in the day. (Not in the OMG HYPER way, but in the mentally-out-of-it way) Does anyone have any other hypotheses? If I remember correctly to my last blood test, my iron level is borderline low (But on the acceptable range side of it) almost, and I'm taking a vitamin twice a day, and looking at it it's giving me 55.3% of my daily value, or 10mg. I nibbled on some veggies today that I didn't mention up there, if you wanna factor that in... I was bad on getting my fruits and veggies today.
#15 Old 08-28-2004, 04:25 PM

You're also recovering from an eating disorder. you haven't been kind to your body and now it's striking back.
#16 Old 08-28-2004, 10:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Sleep works like a bank. You may well be catching up, and your body may be healing itself. Beyond that, you're eating dinner very early. That may play a part. See if you can't put it off until at least 6pm, and see if you can hold off on going to bed until 9pm. That's actually close enough to "normal" for a number of people, I think.
#17 Old 08-29-2004, 09:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

You're also recovering from an eating disorder. you haven't been kind to your body and now it's striking back.

This thing is years old, actually, as long as I can remember. So, that may play into part of it, but I think there's some sort of other factor playing into it. I'm going to start experimenting with some things, and I'll post later how it goes.
#18 Old 08-29-2004, 09:53 AM
Beginner

Have you ever tried cutting out the refined flour products? I see you eat buns and wraps frequently. You could try whole grains (quinoa, amarath, barley, etc) instead for a couple weeks and see how you feel.

Could soy intolerance be an issue for you?
#19 Old 08-29-2004, 10:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I have always been rather bread-heavy, which made me think of the gluten intolerance. Soy intolerance, I'm not so sure of --- before I went veg*n, in 2001, I rarely, if ever had soy products and it was still there. But, I've always been bread-heavy. I did some research on gluten-free vegan diets, and decided to try that for a little while and see if that changes things. (I'm checking everything I eat to see if it contains gluten; There are several boards for gluten-free diets where people will post foods as gluten-containing or gluten-free, which they usually find out by e-mailing or calling/writing the company.)

For those concerned it might be ED-related, I assure you it isn't; I'm making extra-sure I'm getting enough nutritionally.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page