Splenda---Will this stuff give me cancer? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-24-2004, 01:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi all,

Splenda is all the rage with people trying to lose weight. I've read the package, it says "Tastes like sugar, because it's made from sugar", it has no nutrasweet or saccharine. The only ingredients are dextrose, maltodextrin, and sucralose.

When saccharine came out, eveyone thought it was the miracle sweetener. Then we found out it caused cancer. When Nutrasweet came out, everyone thought that was a miracle, too. But it causes serious brain problems, is addictive, and can cause liver damage. (but they still keep it on the market)

Is Splenda the same beast in a different package? Are there any scientists on this board that can put my mind at ease? I don't plan on using it all that often, but if I know it's safe, I may sprinkle a little on my Grape Nuts from time to time.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-24-2004, 01:25 PM

Why do you prefer Splenda over other sweeteners?

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 08-24-2004, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

do a search on the forums -- there have been a few threads about the dangers of artificial sweeteners, splenda included. made me stop using the stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-25-2004, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

i don't know but....i figure the only way i'm giving it up is when they pry it from my cold dead fingers! i love splenda!
#5 Old 02-07-2005, 12:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I just heard that Coca Cola will sell a Splenda version of Diet Coke. Would this be better than the original aspartame version (which they will continue to sell)?
#6 Old 02-07-2005, 01:37 PM

I've read some bad stuff about Splenda.

bad stuff

more bad stuff
#7 Old 02-07-2005, 02:44 PM
Beginner

Please recommend some good sweeteners. I can't use Splenda anymore after reading that.
#8 Old 02-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I never use srtificial sweeteners coz I just have no idea.
#9 Old 02-07-2005, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't give those evil *******s any of my money...

A Splenda Way to Die!

In a time when obesity has seen a dramatic increase, diabetes is plaguing more and more children, and doctors are warning people to cut down on their sugars, sugar giant Tate and Lyle, with the aid of McNeil Specialty Products (a division of Johnson and Johnson) came up with a sweetener 600 times more potent than real sugar! Now where do you think you go to test safe a product as important Sucralose (also called Splenda in the US) Huntingdon Life Sciences, of course.

Huntingdon played a big role in the testing that took place to bring this garbage product to the market. An estimated 12,800 animals died in the process according to a published report in a recent scientific journal.

Some of the more gruesome details revealed:

32 beagle dogs were locked in metal cages for 52 weeks. They were given Sucralose mixed in with their normal feed, and blood and urine samples were collected. At the end of the study they were killed by means of exsanguiation - they had their throats slit open and bled to death. They were then cut open and their organs - by now drained of blood so easier to dissect - were examined to test the product's toxicity levels.

Four beagle puppies (or as HLS calls them punching bags) were starved before being force-fed the super-sweet sugar powder. HLS employees then took blood samples from the jugulars of the infant dogs.

An unspecified number of marmoset monkeys either died from the poisoning or were killed at the termination of the research at HLS.

The report states that 12 of these monkeys, which were babies under 10 months old were force-fed Sucralose for seven weeks. Two of the primates died on the seventh day from brain defects, another primate was mysteriously killed after four weeks, and the remainder all were murdered at the completion of the seventh week. Some of the recorded observations from this study noted in appetence, body weight loss, unwillingness to use hind leg, hopping, involuntary grip reflexes, salivation and subdued mood.

Huntingdon also used rabbits to study the effects of the product. These little animals were given 1200 times the expected daily intake and not surprisingly most died from the trauma. Many of the other rabbits suffered from convulsions, weight loss, and various intestinal disorders.

Huntingdon also tested the product on pregnant rabbits, mice, and rats killing both the mothers and the fetuses.

All in all, just another customer-sponsored project at HLS. All this pain and death for the sake of bringing to the market a sweetener that can make your ice-cream or jam 600 times sweeter. This sort of testing really should give you pause to think, and possibly send off a thank you note to HLS for all the important contributions they are making to the world.

http://www.shacamerica.net/splenda/splenda.htm

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#10 Old 02-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Beginner

Ok, really, give me some good sweeteners to use. I'm not using Splenda anymore...I tried stevia in a bottle, but I found it somewhat bitter in coffee.
#11 Old 02-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy View Post

I just heard that Coca Cola will sell a Splenda version of Diet Coke.

Ack! I am a diet coke addict, but splenda seriously upsets my stomach. If they switchover, I guess I'll be forced to quit.
#12 Old 02-07-2005, 05:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Splenda gives me really bad abdominal cramps. I don't know whats in it, but I'll tell ya, it took a few times doubled over in pain before I made the connection. Anything that hurts that bad can't be good.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#13 Old 02-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

I wouldn't give those evil *******s any of my money...

A Splenda Way to Die!

In a time when obesity has seen a dramatic increase, diabetes is plaguing more and more children, and doctors are warning people to cut down on their sugars, sugar giant Tate and Lyle, with the aid of McNeil Specialty Products (a division of Johnson and Johnson) came up with a sweetener 600 times more potent than real sugar! Now where do you think you go to test safe a product as important Sucralose (also called Splenda in the US) Huntingdon Life Sciences, of course.

Huntingdon played a big role in the testing that took place to bring this garbage product to the market. An estimated 12,800 animals died in the process according to a published report in a recent scientific journal.

Some of the more gruesome details revealed:

32 beagle dogs were locked in metal cages for 52 weeks. They were given Sucralose mixed in with their normal feed, and blood and urine samples were collected. At the end of the study they were killed by means of exsanguiation - they had their throats slit open and bled to death. They were then cut open and their organs - by now drained of blood so easier to dissect - were examined to test the product's toxicity levels.

Four beagle puppies (or as HLS calls them punching bags) were starved before being force-fed the super-sweet sugar powder. HLS employees then took blood samples from the jugulars of the infant dogs.

An unspecified number of marmoset monkeys either died from the poisoning or were killed at the termination of the research at HLS.

The report states that 12 of these monkeys, which were babies under 10 months old were force-fed Sucralose for seven weeks. Two of the primates died on the seventh day from brain defects, another primate was mysteriously killed after four weeks, and the remainder all were murdered at the completion of the seventh week. Some of the recorded observations from this study noted in appetence, body weight loss, unwillingness to use hind leg, hopping, involuntary grip reflexes, salivation and subdued mood.

Huntingdon also used rabbits to study the effects of the product. These little animals were given 1200 times the expected daily intake and not surprisingly most died from the trauma. Many of the other rabbits suffered from convulsions, weight loss, and various intestinal disorders.

Huntingdon also tested the product on pregnant rabbits, mice, and rats killing both the mothers and the fetuses.

All in all, just another customer-sponsored project at HLS. All this pain and death for the sake of bringing to the market a sweetener that can make your ice-cream or jam 600 times sweeter. This sort of testing really should give you pause to think, and possibly send off a thank you note to HLS for all the important contributions they are making to the world.

http://www.shacamerica.net/splenda/splenda.htm

Thanks Irizary. I hated splenda before but now I have even more reason to hate the crap.
#14 Old 02-07-2005, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, thanks for the article. I was actually considering buying Splenda too.. definitely not anymore. That's reason enough to stay away from them.
#15 Old 02-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Veggie Regular

im not sure if it will give you cancer, but i know its no good for you!
#16 Old 02-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

Ack! I am a diet coke addict, but splenda seriously upsets my stomach. If they switchover, I guess I'll be forced to quit.

You missed the part about them also selling the original.
#17 Old 02-08-2005, 06:40 AM
Veggie Regular

try stevia instead. it's from the leaves of a plant--it's officially an herb. you can use it as sugar, but not in the same amounts (you use less than you would use sugar). most HFS have stevia.

and btw, all artificial sweetners (including aspartame, etc) go through lab animal testing. I guess that would officially make diet coke "not vegan."
#18 Old 02-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

All artificial sweeteners are toxic, animal tested and I wouldn't feed them to my worst enemy (If I had an enemy )
#19 Old 02-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

i accidently put it in the other thread, but some people do well with stevia, but it is strong. So, in the other thread there was mention of 'strong aftertaste" that is bitter. this means that one has used too much stevia.

a lot of people prefer 'cut' stevia, which usually means it's mixed with some sort of fibre. most people who use this use 1/4 the amount of this as they would sugar. So, if the recipe calls for a cup of sugar, they'll use 1/4 cup of cut stevia (which is usually half stevia and half fiber). If you have 'pure' stevia, it may be as little as 1/8 or 1/16 depending upon your personal tastes for sweetness.

stevia is a natural herb. to the best of my knowledge, it has not be tested on animals. I do not know for certain though. Also, i do not know if it is safe for pregnant women. I know that splenda is not considered safe for pregnant women or women who want to become pregnant because they have no idea. there just haven't been a lot of studies about it. so, OBs in my area are recommending that pregnant women use sugar instead of splenda or other artificial sweetners.
#20 Old 02-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy View Post

All artificial sweeteners are toxic, animal tested and I wouldn't feed them to my worst enemy (If I had an enemy )

Kind of a strong statement! What do you mean about toxic though....I mean I've never heard of someone dying from Splenda lol. I started using artificial sweeteners a few years back, and have never had a problem with them.

Actually Stevia has been tested on animals: http://www.stevia.net/safety.htm
#21 Old 02-19-2005, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

So, basically every sweetener/sugar has animal bone char in it or has used animal testing. I liked splenda till I heard about it, may I never drink it again!
#22 Old 02-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalteacup View Post

So, basically every sweetener/sugar has animal bone char in it or has used animal testing. I liked splenda till I heard about it, may I never drink it again!

No, its quite easy to find sugar without bone char. Flordia crystals, turbinado sugar, and sucanant are bone char free. The bone char is used during the bleaching process so anything that hasn't been bleached has no bone char, also some white sugars are processed without bone char so you could contact the company and find out if they do or don't.
#23 Old 02-19-2005, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm assuming brown sugar isn't bleached?
#24 Old 02-19-2005, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

no, brown sugar is bleached, and then the molasses is added back in for texture and flavor, so it may or may not have been processed with bone char. The stuff that has never been bleached looks like regular sugar only the crystals are bigger and its kind of a dark tan.
#25 Old 02-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

Splenda gives me really bad abdominal cramps. I don't know whats in it, but I'll tell ya, it took a few times doubled over in pain before I made the connection. Anything that hurts that bad can't be good.

Add me to this list. I ate some cookies at a party I went to last Christmas that had Splenda in them. It upset my stomach really badly, and I had cramping as well. I definitely wouldn't eat it again, and I didn't think it tasted very good.
#26 Old 02-20-2005, 07:12 AM

Here's a good article about Splenda... http://www.mercola.com/2000/dec/3/su...e_dangers.htm#

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page