• 2 Post By 420Surfer
  • 1 Post By karenlovessnow
  • 2 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By AnneMaria
  • 1 Post By Rhys
  • 1 Post By Blue Gingham

#1 Old 11-29-2015, 04:41 AM

depression

Hello, not really sure where to post this thread, i suppose here is ok?

I have mentioned a little on another thread about my mental health. I have BPD and anxiety.

The past 3 days it has been VERY bad, im struggling a lot. I got some ****ty news, a big funding bid ive worked on for over a year has been rejected (im an artist) and i feel like im a failure and not good enough. Im sad to say i self harmed as well.

I feel constantly sick, i cant eat, i want to just get drunk and forget.

last week i was excited to begin my vegetarian journey, i have a shop delivery arriving tomorrow and recipies etc although now i want to just hide away in depression.

I guess i wonder if anyone can relate or give any advice? sorry to be so melancholy. x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-29-2015, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Hi alexis,

I'm really sad to hear you are having such a hard time! Rejection is always difficult to swallow, and I can understand your pain. Is there any way to appeal the decision? Or is it final? Regardless, please know that their decision was not personal and it doesn't mean you aren't good enough or gifted at what you do. It just means it wasn't what they were looking for or interested in. Some of the greatest writers and other artists in the world have been rejected many times. Some were not even "discovered" or appreciated until long after they died. It's just that their work wasn't popular at the time. It is not a reflection on you. You are so not a failure at all! My guess is that other opportunities will present themselves. Please don't give up!

It is totally ok to feel your feelings too. I know it can be hard to do. Mental and emotional pain can be worse than physical sometimes. It's good that you are reaching out for help and not dealing with it all on your own. You don't have to be perfect. HUGS You are brave for having tried. As time goes on, the impact of the rejection, and the pain you feel, will begin to lessen. Please just don't let it take you under! You have much to offer the world! Just take your time and allow yourself to be down, and slowly regroup. The confidence will come back. It just takes time.

I'm off to work but I will be thinking about you today. I hope you can get some rest and be kind to yourself.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 11-29-2015, 08:19 AM
Beginner

Gotta work through it. i use exercise to my advantage. and i like turmeric....

The Swans "I gained an addiction to drink and depression"

Dog, guts and guns..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-29-2015, 09:07 AM

thanks. I run an organisation, its pretty big i suppose even though only two years old. its a lot of pressure and i feel i let everyone down

I cant just quit it, but im not sure i can do this. i dont know

The Swans song is pretty gorgeous. thanks for sharing.
#5 Old 11-29-2015, 09:56 AM
Vegan since 1991

Just remember that, during this time of depression, it's extremely important that you continue to eat enough, and to take your medication. It's easy to neglect these things when one is depressed, but doing so will just make things worse. Have you made an appointment with your therapist?
karenlovessnow likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#6 Old 11-29-2015, 10:37 AM

Everyone is going to have their ebbs & flows with life.

Being Vegan, Raw, working out like a freak 6 days a week, surfing & edible 420 cured me of some serious PTSD issues. If it helped me through some REAL tough times where others I served with have made the ultimate decision for a temporary problem.

Drinking at any stage let alone this stage is definitely not the right answer. Look for the most natural cure and run with it till it proves otherwise.

Yesterday is gone, forget it; tomorrow isn't here, don't worry about it; today is here use it!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 11-29-2015, 11:29 AM

Yes I don't eat, I forget my meds. I know I make things worse. I just can't seem to get out of bed let alone cook/exercise/think about work.

I've got appointment on Wednesday with therapist yeah.
#8 Old 11-29-2015, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry I have nothing additional to offer...just hugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alexis88 likes this.
#9 Old 11-29-2015, 01:39 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis88 View Post
Yes I don't eat, I forget my meds. I know I make things worse. I just can't seem to get out of bed let alone cook/exercise/think about work.

I've got appointment on Wednesday with therapist yeah.
How about just eating a couple handfuls of nuts (plenty of calories, no cooking needed) and going outside? Sitting out in the sunshine and fresh air might inspire you to take a walk, or (better yet) to ride your bicycle.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 11-29-2015 at 01:44 PM.
#10 Old 11-29-2015, 02:21 PM

So sorry to hear that you're going through a tough period! For what it's worth, I think it's really cool and admirable that you're an artist running your own organisation! What kind of organisation is it?
I know several people with BPD and/or anxiety, and they are nowhere near as far in life or as accomplished as you are. You should be really proud of yourself! Things like that don't happen automatically, and for you to have come so far despite everything means you're very talented. You're not a failure.

Do you have someone in your life who you can talk to about how you feel? I know that serious mental illnesses are not something you can just cure by talking, but it helps. I really hope you're able to reach out to a good friend or a family member if you haven't already. I sometimes get down, too, and when I do, I isolate myself thinking nobody will want to keep me company because I'm just a big mess of negativity, and they won't like it, but that's now how it works. People want to be there for you, and they want to help. I mean just look at this thread - a bunch of random strangers on the internet take time to write messages of comfort and support!

Try to take things a bit at a time - there are tons of things you can do to feel better (eat healthy food, take a walk outside, talk to a friend, read a good book, watch a cool movie, maintain a healthy circadian rhythm, and so on), but most of them will probably seem too overwhelming to you, especially if you feel like you have to do them all at the same time. Try to pick something that seems doable. Taking a shower, for example. Or ordering (semi) healthy take-out food.

It might also be an idea to call a friend or a family member and have them help out a bit around the house. I'm sure any good friend/family member would be happy to give you a hand with cooking or cleaning, and it's a good way to get some of the things done which you don't have the energy to do on your own, while at the same time having company.

I hope you feel better! Remember how awesome you are
Naturebound and alexis88 like this.
#11 Old 11-29-2015, 03:08 PM

thank you so much, i actually feel a little teary reading these posts.

Its a mental health and arts organisation. www.brokengreywires.com (ironic that im so weak mentally myself yet think i can help others )

I feel i have let other people down too. and i dont even know if this is what i want to do anymore, im not sure i am good enough to run it. I do everything on my own with no pay check. But i dont have time to make my own work ! Im so confused.

David, yes i will ty to go out on my bike tomorrow. Its gale force winds and raining lately, but i hope its a bit nicer tomorrow.

I had ordered a shopping delivery which arrives at mid day tomorrow, i wish i could cancel it because lots of veggies/salad/fruit and im not sure i can eat or cook, but i can not afford for these things to go off. I felt so well last week and couldnt wait to try out new recipes.

Yes AnneMaria, i understand the feeling of not wanting to talk to people about my feelings. I do think im being a burden when im like this, and that when im asked, do you feel any better, i cant say 'no' over & over, so i just isolate myself, because i tend to just feel worse & guilty.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and messages, it does mean a lot to me xx
#12 Old 11-29-2015, 06:08 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Hey there, something that worked for me was large doses of vitamin D. I had never been depressed in my life (also started having panic attacks everyday), so when I came down with it last year, it was shocking and I didn't understand why, in fact I normalized a lot of the pain and sickness I was feeling. Turns out after a blood test, my vitmain D was extremely low, and it made sense because I had stayed inside a lot. It may make sense in your case too if you are staying inside feeling miserable, not getting any sun. and then it just becomes a circular cycle of depression. I was put on anti depressants but i didn't feel they were really getting to the big issue as my body was telling me this was more of a "phsyical" depression than mental, and the doctors coudl not understand what I meant when I was telling them that. I was only told to take a general multivitamin to up my vitamin D, but after being tired of feeling the way I did, I started looking for other cures, and found someone who had mentioned vitamin D therapy curing them of depression and their panic attacks. So I tried it, and it did wonders.

I took 10,000 IU vitamin D +300mg magnesium a day for 3 months. Within the 1st month I already felt tons better. It was a miracle. There are no reported studies of 10,000 IU vitamin D a day and below causing toxicity or negative health effects for extended periods of time. In fact, if you look at many of the reviews on amazon for vitamin D, you will find so many people touting it's bettering effect on mood, depression, and energy. I highly recommend it in addition of taking a vitamin K2 supplement (300mg) every 3 days to go along with the vitamin D.

I had stopped taking the vitamin D and only sometimes took small doses after the three months were over, and now with the winter creeping up, I can definitely feel that I need to get back on the higher doses again because I've started becoming moody and somewhat depressed. In fact, and I even heard this from my health professor, what is often called "seasonal affective disorder" is often caused by lowered vitamin D levels in the winter months where people are staying warm inside more and there is less daylight. Vitamin D is literally used in many of the processes in our bodies that make us feel content. Thankfully I know what will likely help me this time.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy

Last edited by 4everaspirit; 11-29-2015 at 06:15 PM.
#13 Old 11-30-2015, 04:02 AM

Thanks 4everaspirit, i will look at some supplements. I know its not lack of vitamin D though, ive been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder for 7 years now, and its a chemical imbalance. But everything can help, so i will see how much it is. Thanks for the suggestion.

I also know that healthy eating/more exercise/meditation can improve my mood, but when im feeling like this its very hard to do anything. Then i hate myself more for not trying to get better, its a rubbish cycle!

My food delivery arrived, my cupboards and fridge are now filled with healthy, colours. and no meat for the first time ever. Maybe i can cook something. I usually enjoy cooking.

Thanks again x
#14 Old 11-30-2015, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I also know that healthy eating/more exercise/meditation can improve my mood, but when im feeling like this its very hard to do anything. Then i hate myself more for not trying to get better, its a rubbish cycle!
It is indeed a horrible cycle, and so very, very difficult to escape from.

I try to focus on doing something, anything, even if it's not what I *should* be doing, and then concentrate on applauding that I did something, that that in itself is an accomplishment, rather than beating myself up over not getting done what I "should" have done. Concentrating on doing things like making and eating a peanut butter sandwich, taking a shower, etc., and seeing them for the accomplishments they are....

You're not alone. Hugs.
#15 Old 11-30-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful Joe View Post
It is indeed a horrible cycle, and so very, very difficult to escape from.

I try to focus on doing something, anything, even if it's not what I *should* be doing, and then concentrate on applauding that I did something, that that in itself is an accomplishment, rather than beating myself up over not getting done what I "should" have done. Concentrating on doing things like making and eating a peanut butter sandwich, taking a shower, etc., and seeing them for the accomplishments they are....

You're not alone. Hugs.
Thank you yes through the work i do on my organisation, i see how many people struggle with these things. I need to try and remember that! another cycle is convincing myself im the only one feeling this, im the only one who is struggling and everyone is so happy and on the right path and living life the correct way. of course there is no correct way but i still think they are all doing fantastic.

Today i have managed to distract myself a little, and i have cooked falafels, plus i have a ratatouille type dish in the slow cooker. Ive even tidied up a bit and walked to the shop for some nice smelly candles.

Even so im beating myself up, "how can you be 'ok' when you failed with the funding bid, you worked so hard and of course you werent good enough" I do actually hear voices, as hallucinations is part of BPD. Its like a man is in my room telling me these things.

I will try to ignore though and read or something.

Hope everyone is well x
#16 Old 12-01-2015, 01:49 PM

Quote:
thank you so much, i actually feel a little teary reading these posts.

Its a mental health and arts organisation. www.brokengreywires.com (ironic that im so weak mentally myself yet think i can help others )

I feel i have let other people down too. and i dont even know if this is what i want to do anymore, im not sure i am good enough to run it. I do everything on my own with no pay check. But i dont have time to make my own work ! Im so confused.
That sounds like a really great idea for an organisation! I actually work for an organisation which does something similar - we create and organise reading groups where people meet to read works of literature and talk about them, and some of those groups are for people with mental diagnoses. A lot of those people have felt that the reading groups are helping them a lot. We've also had good experiences with reading groups for people with dementia. Our organisation is a sister organisation to The Reader Organisation in the UK, and they've done a substantial amount of research in literary reading and mental health. If you're interested, you can check out their research here: http://www.thereader.org.uk/what-we-.../research.aspx

I completely understand how frustrating it must be to work so hard and not even get paid for it. It's a very stressful situation to have so much responsibility and so little security. I hope you have some good people in the organisation who can support you so that you don't have to do everything on your own. I'm sure they look up to you and admire all the work you do!

Quote:
Yes AnneMaria, i understand the feeling of not wanting to talk to people about my feelings. I do think im being a burden when im like this, and that when im asked, do you feel any better, i cant say 'no' over & over, so i just isolate myself, because i tend to just feel worse & guilty.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and messages, it does mean a lot to me xx
I get why it must feel like you're constantly being a buzzkill by always having to say 'no, I'm not fine'. But other people just don't see it that way. Nobody will get annoyed at you for being 'not fine' all the time. It's so important that you keep telling people how you feel and that you need their support - even if you feel like you're repeating yourself. Don't feel guilty! There's nothing helpful or productive about that. It's not good for you, and it doesn't do any good for other people, either. No one wants you to feel guilty. Like I said, I really hope you have a couple of people in your life whom you can reach out to so that they can help you and support you. They wouldn't be annoyed; they'd be glad to help, I'm absolutely sure of it.

Take care!
#17 Old 12-02-2015, 03:39 PM

Thank you so much I will look up the link you sent as well.

I had therapy today, it was pretty rough going, i have never cried in therapy (and ive had about 15 therapists in 8 years, so thats alot of sessions!) i was pretty close to crying today. I just feel helpless and lost.

He has suggested i have a two week break from my company though, to reasses the situation and my own health. He has suggested i create a morning routine, up and out of bed, breakfast, a short walk/bike ride, shower...then relax in the day. I have lots of reading i want to do, and films to watch, so i could use these two weeks to get back to researching. i havent had the time for the past year or so.

Im quite terrified of this, because i know i will feel guilty, plus whenever i go into my own work, i become paralysed with fear that im on the wrong track, or that im not good enough, im a failure...im not sure how to move past these thought processes.

But i need to fall in love with art again, i need to get inspiration and excitement back. I have become terrified to just live, frozen in crippling self doubt.

I see the doctor tomorrow, for a medication check up, so i can discuss recent things, i will probably have to increase my anti depressants and begin taking anti psychotics again

Thanks for all your advice and love xx

Last edited by alexis88; 12-02-2015 at 03:49 PM.
#18 Old 12-03-2015, 04:47 AM

Been to the doctors, got more medication, plus Iron tablets and Vitamin D tablets. Ive got a pill box as well to remember to take them all each morning.

Im also being referred for a CT scan on my back as im having trouble with it again. Bit nervous about that.

I got an email this morning, it began like this...

"I am writing from the Personal Social Services Research Unit (PSSRU) at the London School of Economics and Political Science with regards to an invitation to speak."

I feel a bit sick, because:

1) Right away the voices i hear start up telling me its a trap, they are taking the piss etc

2) I feel im a fraud and they will find out if i do it and freeze up or not have the intelligence to 'join in' with discussions.

3) I know for a fact i dont have the confidence to do it, so a pretty good opportunity just gone, due to my mental health issues.

anyway, thanks for letting me use this thread as a bit of a therapy session haha x
#19 Old 12-05-2015, 02:40 PM

I think your doctor's plan sounds very sensible. and even though it would probably be very exciting to do the speech, maybe it would be best to take it easy for the time and decline for now. Is there anyone else in your organisation who could do the speech instead of you? If not, don't worry about it. There's nothing wrong with declining, and there will be other invitations in the future The most important thing is for you to get well.
#20 Old 12-05-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneMaria View Post
I think your doctor's plan sounds very sensible. and even though it would probably be very exciting to do the speech, maybe it would be best to take it easy for the time and decline for now. Is there anyone else in your organisation who could do the speech instead of you? If not, don't worry about it. There's nothing wrong with declining, and there will be other invitations in the future The most important thing is for you to get well.
its literally just me in the organisation! im CEO, director, web designer, logo maker, dogs body, tea lady...you name it! x
#21 Old 12-14-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
its literally just me in the organisation! im CEO, director, web designer, logo maker, dogs body, tea lady...you name it! x
Wow. That sounds tough! I can't even imagine how you do it. But what about some of the people in the steering committee (http://www.brokengreywires.com/#!ste...mmittee/c6xy)? Or do you have some friends or acquaintances you could pull into the project? Not just for now, I mean, but in general, so that you have someone who can help you out keep the organisation afloat?

I hope you're doing better. Are you getting through the holiday season okay? I hope you have some time and energy to get into the Christmas mood.
#22 Old 12-14-2015, 01:52 PM
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch

A path to wellness can look different for different people. I think it's a bit irresponsible to recommend something like tumeric to someone with a serious mental health diagnosis or to expect someone to "just go for a run" and the like when someone is going through a severe depressive episode and can barely get out of bed or cook for themselves. That's just my opinion.

I'd highly recommend trying to find a therapist who works well for you (looks like you might have one currently), doing the best you can taking your medications (this is extremely important because you will be more able to effectively use coping skills while you're on the right medications - if needed) and try to make use of the coping skills you've learned. I know quite a few that work for me and could share: such as starting with small goals. You could try some and see what works for you or what doesn't work. Definitely speak with your therapist about learning new coping skills or reinforcing those you've learned previously. Also, please contact a crisis hotline in your area (if one exists) or use a crisis chat online where folks are trained to help with these issues if you feel you're in a lot of trouble. But I know there are people here willing to be supportive as well. I just don't think we'd be able to take the place of trained professionals.

Some examples of small goals: This morning, I was having trouble getting out of bed due to my pain disorder so I had to start with putting the bed covers to the side, then sticking an arm and a leg off the side of the bed, then sitting on the floor for a bit, then finally standing up. Can't take a bath or a shower? Try just rinsing your face or brushing your teeth. Can't fold all of the laundry? Try just folding one shirt for now. These are the sorts of small goals and small victories I'm referring to when severely depressed. They can add up.

I'm bipolar, I also have borderline personality disorder, agoraphobia with panic disorder, chronic pain as well as other issues. It's taken me quite a long time to find a good combination of meds and to learn more effective coping skills from a type of therapy that works for me (dialectical behavioral therapy seems to be working for me). What works for you may differ. I certainly hope you find what works over time as well and I hope you can put everything you learn into practice. It will most certainly be a constant struggle. Stress can be a significant trigger for depression. I'm so sorry that you've been dealing with these issues.

Edit: I don't frequent VB as often as I used to but feel free to PM me and I'll definitely respond when I can.
karenlovessnow likes this.

I can't abandon the person I used to be, so I carry her.
#23 Old 12-14-2015, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneMaria View Post
Wow. That sounds tough! I can't even imagine how you do it. But what about some of the people in the steering committee (http://www.brokengreywires.com/#!ste...mmittee/c6xy)? Or do you have some friends or acquaintances you could pull into the project? Not just for now, I mean, but in general, so that you have someone who can help you out keep the organisation afloat?

I hope you're doing better. Are you getting through the holiday season okay? I hope you have some time and energy to get into the Christmas mood.
Hey, the steering commitee is more to help with funding bids, and getting galleries on board etc. They are very busy, successful etc and they are unable to take on major tasks. I do have some friends who help out, but its being unable to pay for consistent support, like an assistant.

Ive not worked on this for a couple of weeks...ive been doing my own personal work, which im excited about. Its difficult with the chronic self doubt/anxiety/paranoia but im trying.

Im kind of looking forward to christmas as ill go see my parents for a couple of days. Its always calming to have fairy lights up as well! x

Rhys thank you, will respond to your PM shortly x
#24 Old 12-17-2015, 02:37 PM

I feel so morbidly obese its stopping me from working on my mental health. I hate myself so much, i feel like i will never get better.
#25 Old 12-18-2015, 12:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I feel so morbidly obese its stopping me from working on my mental health. I hate myself so much, i feel like i will never get better.

I'm sorry you are struggling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#26 Old 12-18-2015, 04:08 AM

Thanks Karen <3

I dont get it, ive eaten pretty well these past two weeks...and ive done moderate exercise as im on my feet and lifting/working in my studio all day, walking to the bus etc

But ive put on almost 4 pounds in 2 weeks....how?! I feel like ill never lose this weight.
#27 Old 12-18-2015, 08:56 AM
Beginner

If you've recently added activity after being pretty sedentary, your muscles could be retaining water. Make sure you're drinking enough, and if you like you could squeeze some lemon in your water to act as a natural diuretic.

Also here's a hug. [[[alexis]]] Remember you are beautiful and worthy.
LedBoots likes this.
#28 Old 12-18-2015, 09:32 AM

Thanks so much

I do drink a lot of water, will add lemon too. I have done more exercise than usual yes, not masses but more. I should go to the gym but i cant afford too right now.

I did think that just eating better would help x
#29 Old 12-31-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Hello, not really sure where to post this thread, i suppose here is ok?

I have mentioned a little on another thread about my mental health. I have BPD and anxiety.

The past 3 days it has been VERY bad, im struggling a lot. I got some ****ty news, a big funding bid ive worked on for over a year has been rejected (im an artist) and i feel like im a failure and not good enough. Im sad to say i self harmed as well.

I feel constantly sick, i cant eat, i want to just get drunk and forget.

last week i was excited to begin my vegetarian journey, i have a shop delivery arriving tomorrow and recipies etc although now i want to just hide away in depression.

I guess i wonder if anyone can relate or give any advice? sorry to be so melancholy. x
Your mind is the biggest problem you have. So the solution is very simple whatever your mind is telling you to do, do the opposite, your mind is telling you to hideaway, go out running intensely 40 minutes at least, keep running until your mind stops making excuses why you shouldn't be doing this. That will cure you for today. You'll feel much better, but your mind will be back tomorrow, so you need to do it again and again and again, to push yourself through your emotional, psychological and physical limitations is the answer to all mental health issues, when the mind stops making excuses, then you know you healed yourself a little, it will not be easy, and because it's difficult you'll develop substance, dignity, and self respect over a period of time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page