5Likes
  • 1 Post By MadamSarcastra
  • 1 Post By Windigo
  • 1 Post By Shandong
  • 2 Post By Capstan

#1 Old 11-02-2015, 10:20 AM
the ever sleepy

Night Chills

Ever since roughly the second week going vegan, I've had a difficult time getting to sleep because of night chills. It doesn't matter if I pile my blankets or wear a sweater and pants to bed or not, from second I lay down til about an hour or two later, I'm lay there wide awake thinking about how cold I am. At first it was about how much energy I had. Now it's about how cold, and how it's ridiculous that I can have so many layers and still feel frigid to the bone.

I'm not sure what's causing this. Certainly, winter has been coming, and that can account for some of it. The thing is, the thermostat stays the same in my apartment, I do so purposely because in the morning and any accidental night wake ups, I'm quite warm, and if I turn the thermostat up (as I have with experimentation), I wake up basically too hot to go back to sleep.

Should I be trying to eat a hot meal before bed? Does anyone else experience this type of chilliness? Or am I being a crotchety old lady?

I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-02-2015, 10:41 AM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Send a message via Yahoo to MadamSarcastra
Would that we could trade.... I get too warm. LOL

I don't know if age is a factor, won't ask... or if you're prone to circulatory problems. I know my occasional night-sweat is due to menopause (nearly non-existent since going veggie)....

As far as a hot meal before bedtime, I say yes! Works for me! Even though it's not recommended to eat right before bedtime, I do every night... really the only thing that helps me sleep. But instead of anything really heavy, how about a cup of hot soup?? Better yet, hot spicy soup!

Stumbled upon a link, maybe it'll at least give ya some ideas.... http://ohmyveggies.com/50-vegetarian-soup-recipes/
(Just noticed you're vegan, not vegetarian.... but I'm sure there's still plenty to choose from. LOL)

Good luck, enjoy, stay warm!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ MadamSarcastra

Last edited by MadamSarcastra; 11-02-2015 at 10:49 AM.
#3 Old 11-02-2015, 10:52 AM
The prowling wolf

I'm cold too when I lie down in bed without the radiator on, so what I'll usually do is use a hot water bottle to heat my feet. There are special bottles out there that are made for this purpose, and as soon as my feet are warm the rest of my body will usually follow. Also drinking a mug of hot chocolate or tea before bed also helps when it's really cold.
Sadrielle likes this.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-02-2015, 10:59 AM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Or how about a cup of hot broth? Maybe add a dash of cayenne for extra "warmth".... LOL

I use this stuff all the time for making homemade soup, cooking couscous, dry beans, lentils, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~ MadamSarcastra

Last edited by MadamSarcastra; 11-02-2015 at 11:03 AM.
#5 Old 11-02-2015, 11:18 AM
the ever sleepy

Ahahaha! MadamSarcastra, I'll have to give Imagine's brand a try! It would be nice to have a broth ready made, and I bet it would make a lovely base for some southwestern flairs. I'm almost out of my vegetable based pho soup mix. I bought some chamomile two months ago when I was trying to give up night time hot coffee to help me sleep better, but I think I've only used one packet since because the herbally taste was made me sick to the stomach. I'll try incorporating that in, too.

Windigo, I've heard before that people sleep better when their feet are warm. I've never seen the water bottles, but it did give me an idea for an old fashioned electric blanket to keep on my lower legs. I'll have to add it to the shopping list.

#6 Old 11-02-2015, 11:31 AM
Veg-head since 10/14/14

Be careful with electric blankets.... especially if there's going to be liquid involved.... eek. LOL

I know those micro-fleece blankies are damn warm all on their own, no power needed. And get some fuzzy slipper-socks! A nice, warm bath or shower before bedtime could help. You might also try wearing a soft hat to bed to trap more body heat.

~ MadamSarcastra
#7 Old 11-02-2015, 12:25 PM

Do you sleep without socks? I am always cold when I sleep without socks, I think try the tips suggested in the threads and see if it works for you or put on some socks, hehe :-P
LedBoots likes this.
#8 Old 11-02-2015, 12:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't see any reason why this would be related to eating vegetarian. It's a good idea to see a doctor, as changes in your body temperature regulation can be a sign of various diseases, some of which could become severe.
#9 Old 11-02-2015, 01:37 PM
Impeach the gangster

You need a dog!
silva and MadamSarcastra like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#10 Old 11-02-2015, 02:34 PM
the ever sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerveggie View Post
I don't see any reason why this would be related to eating vegetarian. It's a good idea to see a doctor, as changes in your body temperature regulation can be a sign of various diseases, some of which could become severe.
Actually, I've been eating vegan. It was a fairly drastic dietary change for me. Don't worry, I'm not trying to accuse plant based eating for my issues; I think any extreme change to what a person consumes will have some interesting side effects. More likely, I'm not getting the same balance of minerals and nutrients that I was before. I should probably start taking a multi along with getting some warm thingies to sleep with.

And I /wish/ I could get a dog. The apartment I live in is cat only, and my cat is about as far anti-snuggler as a cat can get. I have odd pathetic moments where my fuzzy wuzzy decides to grace me by laying nearby, or (and this has happened exactly 10 times in the last three months) he chooses to lay next to my legs / feet in the bed, and I'm so terrified of moving and breaking the moment and irritating him to another part of the house!

#11 Old 11-03-2015, 12:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Night Chills

If you have a thick, heavy sock, you can fill it with dry beans or uncooked rice, pop it in the microwave for 60-90 seconds, and voila! A perfect little bundle of heat to put under the covers. I've made several and use them all winter to keep warm or soothe achy muscles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#12 Old 11-03-2015, 02:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been getting night sweats too and I KNOW mine are hormonal. I have been in surgical menopause for ten years (all my reproductive parts are gone) but I am on a hormone replacement patch as I can not function at all without it. When I am stressed (which I have been lately working extra long hours and learning new stuff at work) it throws everything off. I am also on thyroid meds and it is tricky to find a perfect balance between my thyroid meds/hormones and hormone replacement because both work against each other. If I am getting too much of one the other will not work as well. Stress throws it all off balance. Look for other subtle symptoms too. With hormonal imbalance I also lose more hair (chunks, not just strands), get flushes, feel more emotional and sensitive, my joints ache, I feel bouts of nausea.

Regular exercise does help me a bit in regulating hormones, and it helps me relieve stress. I also take hot baths before bed to help warm me, and keep layers of bed sheets on the bed so I have room to adjust to whether I am too hot or cold. I try to wear breathable night clothes. And I try to clear my mind and meditate a little, but most times that doesn't work too well lol.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#13 Old 11-03-2015, 04:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I have gone through the change for a few years now and I'm not really bothered by night sweats. I do get that "chilly" shaky feeling, on occasion and I often wonder if it has to do more with blood sugar than with being cold. But I'm not sure. Sometimes I will get up and have a small glass of chocolate soy milk and that seems to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#14 Old 11-03-2015, 05:02 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

For coldness. Sorry for rushed post lol,
1. Are you underweight? #1 cause
2. , Any thyroid issues? Other s/s of low thyroid? (Thinning hair, dry skin, weight gain)? Will type more later

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page