Need to Gain Weight - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Beginner

I don't know if this is the place to post my question here, but I will try. I am 21 years old and only weigh 88lbs, which I know is severely underweight. I am not anorexic though. My weight loss had been due to IBS, but I have that under control with Zoe Foods Flax & Soy bars w/5g fiber. It worked wonders and now I am ready to gain weight.

Also, I have Osteopenia, nearly osteoporosis (tears). I'd appreciate any calcium enriched recipes you could direct me towards. And if I don't take a multi-vitamin, is there a way to get all my nutrients in a day without having to consume a lot?

I don't like to cook, so I was wondering if you know how I can healthily and easily consume 1800+ calories a day? I like to drink smoothies, so if I can get nutrition that way, let me know. I haven't been making smoothies though, since I just got the smoothie maker not too long ago and only made a Strawberry smoothie, which was delicious. Also, will Soy Ice Cream put on the weight if I were to make it myself with soy milk?

How much weight can one gain in a month safely? I need to gain 20lbs+ by December, is that possible? I read the weight gain powders aren't safe b/c of the 'casein' ingredient which does something to calcium if you have osteopenia, though I don't know.

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-05-2004, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm... I would try adding high quality fats & nuts to your diet. Peanut butter (yum), walnuts, almonds, things that don't fill you up but have lots of calories.
#3 Old 08-05-2004, 07:20 PM

Add healthy fats to everything. Don't be afraid to indulge in stuff like soy ice cream. Try liquid nutrition- it's not vegan, but Ensure Plus a few times a day can pack on the pounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-06-2004, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rincaro View Post

Hmmm... I would try adding high quality fats & nuts to your diet. Peanut butter (yum), walnuts, almonds, things that don't fill you up but have lots of calories.

rincaro has the idea. Also, avocados.

Green leafy veggies are THE BEST source of calcium. You can eat cooked ones or raw greens with nuts, raisins and avocado on them. For smoothies, I often have raw almonds or cashews soaking in the fridge to add to smoothies. They lend a creamy texture as well as some protein and fat.

I can't remember whether you are vegan or not If you are not, a veggie lasagne with cheese, or anything with cheese, is loaded with fat. I would stick with the other stuff anyway so you don't get heart disease along with your weight gain.

I am trying to lose weight and can't help thinking of all of the yummies I would eat if it were the other way around. Pesto pasta, ice cream, bean and cheese nachos... Mostly dairy.

Sunny
#5 Old 08-06-2004, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissancesun View Post

rincaro has the idea. Also, avocados.

Yes - Avocados, put them on a sandwich, in a salad, make guacamole!
#6 Old 08-10-2004, 05:37 PM
Beginner

Thank you everyone for the replies. I've decided to add lots more smoothies, peanut butter, bread, etc. Of course I'll eat snacks too and I'm not a vegetarian or vegan or meat eater, just a moderationalist and healthist. , I made up those words. Well, not much a healthist, but at least I'm looking for other options. I used to think ew, soy milk will taste awful, but I never drank dairy, so after the nutritionalist mentioned it, I picked up some and it tasted great. Now, I'm hooked. And to think, if I hadn't tried it.
#7 Old 08-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

You guys know I'm a cookie monster...

Health Valley's Wheat Free Oatmeal Cookies and Organica's Iced Shortbread cookies are fortified with calcium. So are Teddy Grahams.

Anyway, almond butter is high in calcium. A good calcium breakfast: Almond butter on a bagel and a glass of calcium fortified OJ.
#8 Old 08-10-2004, 09:12 PM
Beginner

CharityAJO,

Are those cookies you mentioned found in Kroger? As that is where I will be going this week or next. I'm going to be picking up some calorie rich, but healthy foods.

I'll post back later after I gain some pounds. Hope it works, which I'm sure it will.
#9 Old 08-10-2004, 09:47 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm in the same boat. check out the beef up thread by the way.

one thing i want to add, try to make sure you get enough of your extra calories from proteins and fats, don't just add extra carbs, that's what i started out doing and it didn't help me any, just gave me stomach aches and the little fat i did gain is all around my tummy (common for people who eat too much carbs without burning them off i think)

so now i've started to add proteins to everything i possibly can in any way i can. it'll help you gain faster, and if you go for a lot of the fortified meat alternatives they tend to have a fair bit of calcium also.

a calcium tip: if you take calcium supplements pair them with magnesium (you can get calcium and magnesium in one caplet much easier) and be sure to take one at night, since we lose the most calcium overnight. you have to spread them out through the day though if they say to take 2 per day take one at breakfast one at supper sort of thing.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#10 Old 08-10-2004, 10:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Soy_nut!

I suggest that you get your nutrition from the highest-calorie, nutrient-dense foods there are. Avoid foods with few calories. You don't want to fill up on foods that will not stay with you! With IBS, you know that the fat/fiber balance in your diet is important. I am glad you are eating more good fiber.

Here's what I believe will help:

Adding extra-virgin coconut oil daily. Up to 4 T taken in foods or shakes. It tastes GREAT in soy0ice cream shakes and raw fruit smoothies too!

Juicing, if you can to get fresh minerals, antioxidants and enzymes without the bulk of fiber (which is GREAT and wholesome, but when trying to gain weight and since you have IBS, this fiber could set off cramping and spasms when taken in excess! Also, it fills you up. So beet and carrot or apple are GREAT juices to drink IF you can juice fresh. Only a few ounces, up to 16 diluted in water daily is needed.

If juicing is not an option-and even if it is- adding a "green drink" daily will build your blood, improve cellular function, and balance you out in general. It will supply you with a good supply of wht your diet may lack. Dr Schulze's "Superfood" is my favorite, because it is affordable and tastes good! Also, it is a whole foods supplement; nothing from it is unnatural...it's full of plants, sea veggies, citrus peels and is amazing! I can give you a recipe or other options for a green drink if you like.

Think of your body as a digestion-machine. You are a food eater. You can fuel yourself every few hours. 6 mini-meals will help you get enough calories, because you are likely to never feel "too full" which happens when people try to gain weight. Eating frequently also helps to regulate your digestion, which should impact your IBS in a positive way.

MORE GOOD CALORIES, less heated and refined oils and more nutrient dense foods.

Eat higher calorie foods. Here is a good example of a daily plan:

2 Whole Grain Waffles (covered in Earth Balance Margarine, Almond Butter and Maple Syrup) and fortified Soy milk with Veggie "sausage", if you eat these types of foods.

Naturally on a day like this, with a breakfast like that, I'd suggest lots of veggies, roasted veggies like butternut squash slices, eggplant, red onions, sweet potatoes, and red potatoes with olive oil and herbs, quinoa pilaf with chopped nuts and dried fruit and sesame oil and balsamic vinegar, a baby greens salad with mandarin orange sections, carmelized walnuts, ****ake mushrooms and a citrus zest viniagrete and EFA oils.

OH! This is getting long. I don't want to take up too much space!

Send me a message if you'd like more info. I like helping.

Be Well!

The Kitchen Witch

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#11 Old 08-10-2004, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

WOW You can't say "****AKE MUSHROOMS" here! HA! I did not know that...

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#12 Old 08-11-2004, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicVegan View Post

WOW You can't say "****AKE MUSHROOMS" here! HA! I did not know that...

lol...i found that hilarious too, but you can if you spell it right SHIITAKE!! i can't believe they star out *bad* words that are part of other words though...can't be sneaky around here.
#13 Old 08-11-2004, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soy_nut View Post

CharityAJO,

Are those cookies you mentioned found in Kroger? As that is where I will be going this week or next. I'm going to be picking up some calorie rich, but healthy foods.

I'll post back later after I gain some pounds. Hope it works, which I'm sure it will.

We don't have a Kroger near here, so I don't know! I work in a HFS, that's where I get em.
#14 Old 08-11-2004, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Actually, LadyFaile... When I tried adding extra protein it did me no good. I needed the extra carbs to gain lean weight. (Complex carbs that is... Sugars do tend to put it on my tummy). I think every body is different.
#15 Old 08-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh but I'm sure Teddy Grahams are at Kroger. They're everywhere. Sorry for posting three times in a row. I should get my thoughts in order.
#16 Old 08-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Beginner

I know you mentioned the "green drink", but I don't have it and was wondering if Juice Plus+ would work? As someone sends this to me. I think the site is www.juiceplus.com, but it says you have to drink it with 8 oz. of water and I don't have any bottled water in the house at all. The tap water tastes like chlorine and I'm afraid to drink it, but I suppose I could. It says you have to drink the water in order for it to turn into juice, but why wouldn't a different beverage work????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page