Coconut oil anyone use it? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

#1 Old 08-24-2015, 07:33 PM

Smile Coconut oil anyone use it?

Is anyone using or have used coconut oil?
For some reason I have just discovered this marvelous thing!
I got some today in a jar from the grocery store.
And I used about 1/2 teaspoon to fry up some tofu and veggies with coconut oil in the pan. I was quite surprised at how well it lasted in the pan. I'm going to use this everyday in my cooking but in small amount because it has 130 cal. to 1 teaspoon. And I only need a little bit.
I'm interested in anyone else's experiences and ideas with coconut oil. Apparently it fights off a lot of diseases.

also can use it as a moisturizer on skin.
CARLAGENTRY likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-24-2015, 08:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Lorina
I use coconut oil for tons of things including cooking, moisturising, I use it as a deep conditioner for my hair, it's a main ingredient in the deodorant I make for myself (not sure if the ph is good or not but I like it so far - been using it for about 3 weeks: corn starch, bicarbonate of soda, and coconut oil and some essential oils like tea tree or whatever you like), and I give a little bit to my non-human family...

It's the MCTs that interested me. It's also good because it had a high heat tolerance if that makes any sense (it doesn't burn easily) and yeah is really really versatile. Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
#3 Old 08-24-2015, 08:38 PM
Vegan since 1991

Coconut oil is delicious, but I'm inclined to be skeptical of any miraculous health claims made about coconut oil, or any other oil.

If you look at the nutrition data for coconut oil ( http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/508/2 ), you can see that it has almost no vitamins or minerals (except for a super tiny amount of vitamin E and vitamin K).

It seems like it would be better to just eat coconut. Coconut contains manganese, iron, and copper: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/3106/2 . Be careful, because it's very high in saturated fat (and coconut oil is almost 100% saturated fat).
Beautiful Joe likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-24-2015, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

yup. we use it all the time. use the cold pressed clear coconut oil( U.S. probably only has those) it's delicious and smells great!
#5 Old 08-24-2015, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

I've had great success using it in desserts and sometimes in cooking but I mostly use it for my hair and skin. It's great for moisturizing and reducing flyaway's on bad hair days.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#6 Old 08-25-2015, 12:04 AM
Veggie Regular

It's definitely tasty if you want the flavour of coconut, but full of saturated fat. I've really only just started using it and I'm still unclear as to whether it's really an essential ingredient in baking or raw treats, as typically I think it probably could just as easily be substituted with another oil lower in saturated fats.

I'm not at all convinced by the curative claims, or whatever. I tend to think these super-food fads are pretty much just marketing to people who get pulled in by the latest 'thing'.

It's a really nice facial moisturiser though (especially when used in conjunction with a hot damp facial cloth) and great for giving shine to dull dry hair. I've been using it for this for ages, but I usually by the cheaper stuff from the chemist specifically for cosmetic use rather than the expensive organic stuff.
David3 and Lorina like this.
#7 Old 08-25-2015, 02:13 AM
Veggie Regular

I use it on rare occasion for baking or cooking, but generally don't use oil on a daily basis. It seems to be a common ingredient in vegan friendly plant based soaps and so on. I too am skeptical of all the claims people make about the wonders of coconut oil.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 08-25-2015, 04:33 AM
Beginner

My wife introduced me to the stuff, she uses it for cooking, her hair, and skin just like all you guys.

I do occasionally use it on hands and arms when they are dry, and when my hair gets a bit long I use it as a gel, but usually just have a pretty much shaved head , lol. It's nice stuff though! Turns very liquidy in not so hot temperatures but kind of solid when cool.
#9 Old 08-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator

I use it for baking sometimes. My favorite cookies are chocolate chip subbing coconut oil for the margarine!
I use it daily on my skin, and hair--after a shower while still damp.
I just made deoderent for the second time around. I know what you mean about getting the PH right. Last year I followed a recipe which had the baking soda and cornstarch 50/50. Way too irritating! I re-melted it, added more oil and starch. this year I used twice as much starch as soda-- now it's really mud-like. I guess one third soda to two thirds starch. I mix essential oils in the coconut oil first, smells so good!
Lorina likes this.
#10 Old 08-25-2015, 09:46 PM

I think coconut oil is wonderful for certain purposes! I use it as an all-natural make-up remover (it's amazing for removing eye make-up!) and moisturiser, though when used alone, I find it isn't absorbed so readily into my skin. But I like to make my own shower creams and lotions and often use coconut oil in them along with other oils, honey and the like I have a very sensitive skin prone to dryness and irritation if I use harsh cosmetics.

I also sometimes like to use it in smoothies sometimes, for example with berries the creamy coconut taste is divine. I also like that it's rather stable and doesn't oxidise easily so better for cooking than many unsaturated oils, from what I have understood. My food philosophy is based on wholesome, natural and nutritious foods and I prefer not to fret about single nutrients in food — the common consensus varies from time to time anyway, at one time everyone's horrified about fats, then carbs and round we go. Of course there's a lot of value in science like that and it's all very interesting, but I think it's more about the quality like how the food was grown, processed and how fresh it is as well as the context. I have understood, for example, that in some traditional diets of indigenous peoples with very high saturated fat intake, like in places where coconut oil makes up a large proportion of total calories, heart disease and obesity are uncommon. Naturally, there needs to be a balance but anyway I don't eat much saturated fat so I wouldn't be worried about some in coconut oil.

As for nutrients, there's more to food than minerals and vitamins (though they're very important as well). The phytochemicals and other compounds play a big role as well, though they're not mentioned in official recommendations or deemed essential. Apparently lauric acid in coconut oil is one of its main so-called active ingredients.

Anyway, that's just my philosophy but I think coconut oil is a tasty addition to a wholesome diet (though as a wholefood-fan, I mostly use coconut flakes and such) and especially great in skin care it's nice to hear other people's ideas
#11 Old 09-04-2015, 06:56 AM
Banned

Coconut oil is no doubt one of the most healthiest oils available.
Yea coconut oil is healthy for a wide variety of things

Hair Care:
Coconut oil is one of the best natural nutrition for hair. It helps in healthy growth of hair providing them a shiny complexion.

Skin Care:
Coconut oil is excellent massage oil for the skin as well. It acts as an effective moisturizer on all types of skins including dry skin.

Weight Loss
Coconut oil is very useful in reducing weight. It contains short and medium-chain fatty acids that help in taking off excessive weight
Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid, which is known for being anti-viral, antibacterial and anti-fungal. Coconut oil is also being used by thyroid sufferers to increase body metabolism, and to lose weight. Virgin coconut oil is also used for making natural soaps and other health products, as it is one of the healthiest things one can put on their skin.

At one time coconut oil received negative press in the US because of its high level of saturated fat. However, modern research has shown that not all saturated fats are alike and that the fatty acids in coconut oil, the medium chain triglycerides, do not raise serum cholesterol or contribute to heart disease, but are in fact very healthy. Also, some negative studies done on coconut oil in the past was done on hydrogenated coconut oil, which has been altered from its original form. Other studies have clearly shown that traditional Asian cultures that eat significant amounts of coconut in their diet do not suffer from modern diseases seen in western cultures that promote a low-fat diet.

Much research on the nutritional and medicinal benefits on coconut oil has surfaced in recent years. Much of that research has been done by Dr. Mary Enig. Dr. Enig has classified coconuts as a "functional food," which provides health benefits over and beyond the basic nutrients. She has specifically identified lauric acid as a key ingredient in coconut products:

"Approximately 50% of the fatty acids in coconut fat are lauric acid. Lauric acid is a medium chain fatty acid, which has the additional beneficial function of being formed into monolaurin in the human or animal body. Monolaurin is the anti-viral, antibacterial, and antiprotozoal monoglyceride used by the human or animal to destroy lipid coated viruses such as HIV, herpes, cytomegalovirus, influenza, various pathogenic bacteria including listeria monocytogenes and heliobacter pylori, and protozoa such as giardia lamblia. Some studies have also shown some antimicrobial effects of the free lauric acid."

As a "functional food," coconut oil is now being recognized by the medical community as a powerful tool against immune diseases. Several studies have been done on its effectiveness, and much research is currently being done on the incredible nutritional value of pure coconut oil. Please go to coconutoil.com to read about these studies. Hopefully, these health benefits of coconut oil will be helpful for you.
TGreene likes this.
#12 Old 09-04-2015, 04:07 PM
Cat Wannabe

Coconut oil is amazing! I use it everyday, and for everything. One of my favorite ways I use coconut oil is as a skin moisturizer. My legs and arms would always get red and irritated when I would use a regular lotion, but that doesn't happen with coconut oil. Not to mention coconut oil is natural, and I don't need to worry about what awful things I'm putting into my body.

Last edited by Jessiecat; 09-05-2015 at 06:48 AM.
#13 Old 09-04-2015, 04:32 PM
Chaotic Vegetarian

I don't use coconut oil. Coco milk, seldom, in desserts.
I use olive oil for occasional skin care and most of my cooking. It's a matter of using the oils that are produced less than 1000 km away from where I live.
Beautiful Joe likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bon appétit !
#14 Old 09-04-2015, 05:46 PM
No flesh since 99'

I'm allergic to coconut, so thats a no-go for me. I've heard many people hail it as a 'miracle' product. Keep in mind all good things in moderation though. Even if it is good for you, I wouldn't let it overtake your diet and use it in virtually everything you eat. Many "healthy" products get taken to excess and yield not so healthy results.
#15 Old 09-04-2015, 10:11 PM

coconut oil and how it helps my health

I have been using coconut oil for about 2 weeks now daily I take about a teaspoon by cooking with it. Just last night I notice the souls of my feet were no longer callous and my hands have moisture on them especially around the knuckles where they use to be dry.
It is amazing stuff!! Only wish I found this out years ago!
karenlovessnow likes this.
#16 Old 11-01-2015, 10:29 AM

I use coconut oil for cooking, for my hair as a mask (weekly), and daily for oil pulling.
#17 Old 11-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora Williams View Post
Coconut oil is no doubt one of the most healthiest oils available.
Yea coconut oil is healthy for a wide variety of things

Much research on the nutritional and medicinal benefits on coconut oil has surfaced in recent years. Much of that research has been done by Dr. Mary Enig. Dr. Enig has classified coconuts as a "functional food," which provides health benefits over and beyond the basic nutrients. She has specifically identified lauric acid as a key ingredient in coconut products:

"Approximately 50% of the fatty acids in coconut fat are lauric acid. Lauric acid is a medium chain fatty acid, which has the additional beneficial function of being formed into monolaurin in the human or animal body. Monolaurin is the anti-viral, antibacterial, and antiprotozoal monoglyceride used by the human or animal to destroy lipid coated viruses such as HIV, herpes, cytomegalovirus, influenza, various pathogenic bacteria including listeria monocytogenes and heliobacter pylori, and protozoa such as giardia lamblia. Some studies have also shown some antimicrobial effects of the free lauric acid."

As a "functional food," coconut oil is now being recognized by the medical community as a powerful tool against immune diseases. Several studies have been done on its effectiveness, and much research is currently being done on the incredible nutritional value of pure coconut oil. Please go to coconutoil.com to read about these studies. Hopefully, these health benefits of coconut oil will be helpful for you.

Why are you quoting Dr. Mary Enig? She is a representative of the Weston A. Price Foundation, an organization that actively opposes vegan diets.

http://www.westonaprice.org/about-th...getarian-tour/

http://www.westonaprice.org/health-t...-dr-mary-enig/

Also, why are you posting a claim which suggests that coconut oil is effective for fighting HIV? You'd better be damn careful about making such a claim, unless you can present links to evidence from peer-reviewed studies.

Finally, your "coconutoil.com" link makes it clear that this whole post is an advertisement. Spam is not permitted on VeggieBoards, and I have reported this.
Beautiful Joe and Thalassa4 like this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 11-01-2015 at 11:26 AM.
#18 Old 11-01-2015, 12:03 PM

I use it in small amounts for cooking (saturated fat is more stable than unsaturated fat because it doesn't have double bonds which can break off and oxidize especially at high temperatures). I also have used it as a moisturizer/ lip balm.

Recently I started oil pulling with it, and immediately my mouth felt cleaner and my breath has been fresher. This is probably because coconut oil has anti-microbial properties.

While I think coconut oil has its uses, I think a lot of the benefits of coconut oil get overblown or are complete bull****. We are talking about one of the most calorically dense foods on the planet with no fiber, little to no phytochemicals or micronutrients. About 90% of the fats in coconut oil are saturated, which raises LDL (bad cholesterol) levels in addition to raising HDL (good cholesterol). So it is important to eat it in smaller amounts (if at all).
Thalassa4 and Fruitemma like this.
#19 Old 11-01-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganfitnessjunkie View Post
Recently I started oil pulling with it, and immediately my mouth felt cleaner and my breath has been fresher. This is probably because coconut oil has anti-microbial properties.
It's also because oil particles adhere to bacteria/toxins from the saliva. And by pulling, swishing, and sucking the oil in the mouth, we absorb these toxins from saliva.
veganfitnessjunkie likes this.

Last edited by Friend; 11-01-2015 at 12:17 PM. Reason: grammar mistake
#20 Old 01-25-2016, 05:01 AM

I used to use cocnut oil for everything but recently I started reading some of Dr. Gregger's research and have decided that the health claims were a bit questionable. It's disapointing for me because I tought I had found a great substitute for cooking oil ( oilve oil is usless in high temperatures ) and even a great way to get EFA's. Sometimes it can be overhwelming when researching but you really have to look at the source of the research and who funds certain studies.
#21 Old 01-25-2016, 07:27 AM

I really like coconut oil and find that it makes my porridge (oatmeal) silky and creamy without needing milk- however within a week of eating it daily I get an oil slick on my forehead followed by acne...but then again, most dietary fat seems to show itself up sooner or later in my pores!

Coming from an asian heritage I can confirm that it is one of the best hair conditioners- microwave a little coconut oil until just warm, massage into scalp and hair, wrap head in a steaming hot towel, sit in front of TV for half an hour, and then go wash the oil out...result = lovely soft moisturised hair
#22 Old 01-29-2016, 01:11 PM

I think it is good for lubricating the joints
#23 Old 01-29-2016, 01:37 PM

Is coconut oil bad for you?

Coconut oil is great to use as a moisturizer on skin or makeup remover, but I wouldn't recommend eating it. This is an article from Nutritionfacts.org about it by Doctor Greger who is a vegan doctor. http://nutritionfacts.org/2013/07/30...-good-for-you/
#24 Old 01-29-2016, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator

I've been using it for skin and hair for years. I have used it in chocolate chip cookies which was very,very good!
I recently tried someones here suggestion to add to cooking rice. Two teaspoons to one cup rice and it was really tasty!
I try and use very little oil and don't want any more suggestions
LedBoots and Thalassa4 like this.
#25 Old 01-31-2016, 07:14 AM

It tastes wonderful,I used it to reduce my acne problem. It was really helpful.
#26 Old 02-03-2016, 08:00 AM

Hi ) now I live in India, and I use coconut oil all the time ) I use it for the skin all over the body and also for my hair ) it's perfectly helps if you have dry skin ) also you can add it to any dish and even make chocolate ! very useful oil!
LedBoots likes this.
#27 Old 02-03-2016, 08:45 AM
Out of the veg closet :)

Yep, coconut oil is very diverse and fabulous! It's one of the healthiest fats you can use, and I know it provides a lot of benefits over many other oils. Also, from doing some digging online I found that many people use it to "oil cleanse" their faces. I did this for about two weeks as an experiment (because I have been breaking out in both acne and dry patches on my face, ugh), and to my amazement it made my complexion look great, and even actually has been the only thing to actually have my nose completly free of blackheads! (Get ahold of me if you want to know more about the oil cleansing thing, although I think I'll start a thread about it~). Also, it's a fabulous natural way to help with dry skin, eczema and even psoriasis breakouts (the nutrients in it and another good one is olive oil help to aid in the healing process). I have been prone to skin problems like that since my twenties, and looked to alternative methods when prescriptions did little and the steroids they'd put me on made me miserable, ravenously hungry, and made me blow up like a balloon.

Hope this helps! Coconut oil is wonderful! I love it!
Thalassa4 likes this.

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left fighting for it.
#28 Old 02-03-2016, 08:50 AM
Out of the veg closet :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoroAdams View Post
It tastes wonderful,I used it to reduce my acne problem. It was really helpful.
Isn't it great for acne??? I was looking for natural methods to clear up my skin and get rid of blackheads and came across the oil cleansing method. At first the thought of "washing" my face with oil was unnerving and baffling, but when you get down to theh basics of why it works, it makes total sense! I found it is amazing in the sense that it helped even my skin, aiding in moisturizing the dry patches, but still not causing any oily buildup in the oil-prone spots (in fact it helps with oily skin).

I love that this product can be used for so much more than cooking. It justifies paying more for it than other cheaper oils.

No cause is lost if there is but one fool left fighting for it.
#29 Old 02-03-2016, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

oil really is the best remedy for getting rid of grease of all kinds. Even kitchen cleaning
I wish i knew about it in my twenties when i was still prone to acne and redness!
LedBoots and Thalassa4 like this.
#30 Old 02-12-2016, 10:12 PM
Veggie Recycler

I make toothpaste and deodorant with it now, and have been washing my face with it for a year. I sometimes use it instead of lotion or massage oil.

I only cook with it rarely. I hated frying tofu with it. It made the tofu taste like a greasy coconut, but that's just me. I think for cooking it's best when it has a more subtle flavor, tofu is too much of a chameleon, even when I marinaded it with other ingredients before frying. Never had this problem with olive oil, nor with vegan "butter."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page