Fitness trackers and nutrition trackers - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By odizzido
  • 1 Post By odizzido
  • 1 Post By Eternal Sunshine

#1 Old 07-20-2015, 11:06 PM

Fitness trackers and nutrition trackers

My partner and I are on a mission to get fit by January. I feel like I'm constantly trying to get in better shape, but I lose motivation too quickly. Since I'm the healthier of the two of us, I feel like my partner is looking to me to get us started. I've always been a bit of a numbers person, and I've started thinking that having a fitness tracker would motivate me to get up and get going. My manager and best friend both use them and have given me rave reviews, though my manager has warned me against Jawbones. I'm looking for something with fairly detailed data, preferably with a heart rate monitor and a great sleep tracker. Right now I'm waffling between the Fitbit Charge HR, the Basis Peak, and the Misfit Shine (no HR, but a much better price point, and water resistant!) I was wondering if anyone has used any of these (or another tracker) and has some input. I feel like it's a silly thing to spend money on, but if it works to motivate me I'm willing to try it.

I'm also looking for a good nutrition tracker that's fairly comprehensive but not too complicated. It could be an app, a website, or even a book and a journal. I eat well for the most part (though I do need to cut out some junk) but I have a very slight iron deficiency. I've been a vegetarian for nearly twenty years with no issues, so I really want to look thoroughly at what I'm eating to see if I can't figure out what's going on. Does anyone have a resource they could recommend?

Last edited by Eternal Sunshine; 07-20-2015 at 11:09 PM. Reason: I'm posting from mobile and meant to put this in the "Physical Fitness" board. Is there a way to move it? Mods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-20-2015, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

www.cronometer.com is the best nutrition tracker I've seen.

As to iron, try getting some cumin into your diet. It's extremely high in iron. I got around 400% of my daily iron today....assuming I don't eat anything else before bed.

As to the fitness stuff I cannot help you there. Most I do is use strava for biking.
#3 Old 07-20-2015, 11:50 PM

I didn't know that about cumin! That makes no sense, though, because I put cumin on just about everything. I've been making a lot of Indian food lately, and cumin tends to be the star of the show. I've been trying to add spirulina powder to my smoothies, but it's a bit intense for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-21-2015, 01:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
I didn't know that about cumin! That makes no sense, though, because I put cumin on just about everything. I've been making a lot of Indian food lately, and cumin tends to be the star of the show. I've been trying to add spirulina powder to my smoothies, but it's a bit intense for me.
You will want to get vitamin C with iron, it significantly increases absorption.
no whey jose likes this.
#5 Old 07-21-2015, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
You will want to get vitamin C with iron, it significantly increases absorption.
Ooh, I'll bet a tomato-based curry with cumin would do the trick. Or would the heat destroy much of the vitamin C?
#6 Old 07-21-2015, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
I know, and I do. I make an effort to eat roughly double the recommended iron (since it's all non-heme and may not all be absorbed) and always pair foods high in iron with foods high in vitamin C. From y research, I'm doing everything right, which us why I want to keep closer track. Something has to be going wrong. For a while I thought maybe it was that I started drinking coffee. since caffeine can ale iron harder to absorb, but I stopped drinking it for a month with no noticeable difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Ooh, I'll bet a tomato-based curry with cumin would do the trick. Or would the heat destroy much of the vitamin C?
Cooking tomatoes does lower their vitamin C content, but it increases other nutritional properties. Regardless, tomato-based curries are the best. If nothing else, I just drink some lemon water with it for an extra boost.
no whey jose likes this.
#7 Old 07-21-2015, 05:58 AM

I use myfitnesspal.com and sync the data with Fitbit. The Fitbit data updates my MFP calorie goal so that I get to eat more as I am more active (so that my caloric deficit stays the same). That motivates me to not be lazy. I have tried chronometer too and it breaks down the data a bit better, but the database seems a little less comprehensive to me. The online community associated with MFP please has been helpful to me.

If you are doing to track your calories, I recommend that you get an inexpensive and user friendly digital scale that measures in grams and use it for all solid foods (liquids you can measure with cups). Especially at first, to identify areas where you might be estimating wrong. It is easy to sabotage yourself with just guesstimating portions, since people tend to underestimate how much they are eating, sometimes dramatically so. So you might have some portion distortion to identify and fix. If you are off in your portions of spinach, doesn't matter that much....but peanut butter, nuts, avocado, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc. are calorie dense and even a little error can make a difference. I always measure those in grams.
#8 Old 07-21-2015, 02:14 PM
Veggie Regular

hmmm yeah I don't know anything more than what I've said about iron sorry. All I can say is that personally I get around 300-400% of my iron a day and I never really worry about vitamin C(I do munch a lot of tomatoes and oranges and such though). My iron is pretty high. Perhaps you don't absorb is as easily as I do, or perhaps you're of a gender which requires more and if I were a woman I would be deficient as well.

I would be interested to hear exactly how much you get of both iron and vitamin C and when.....perhaps there is a significant difference between us there? If you post info and there is I will let you know.
#9 Old 07-21-2015, 04:22 PM
No flesh since 99'

I use cronometer to track nutrition and my daily activities (to make sure I'm eating enough and getting adequate nutrition). If you notice your chronically lacking something, you can always google foods rich in those vitamins and add more (which is what I have). I did buy one of those fancy "fitness trackers" a while back, but I used it a few times and found it to be more trouble than it's worth. I just keep track of my fitness goals on a print-out calendar now, and that works much better than me. I add 5 more of each of my exercises (for example, I was doing 30 sit-ups, I would add 5 and do 35) + 5 more minutes on the exercise bike after every 3 "cycles" of my exercise routine (every 9 exercise "on" days). I walk 2-3 miles a day (have for years). I work out 3 days in a row, 1 day off (still walk on off days, walk every day actually). It's been slow, but steady progress for me, who never had a "formal" workout routine and found trying too much too soon just left me with excessively sore muscles and inability to workout (or do much of anything else) for several days in a row after too-intense workouts. Slow, steady progress, IMO, is the way to go! That way you work up to making time, being physically able and don't loose motivation.

"The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page