deficiencies? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By runnerveggie

#1 Old 07-13-2015, 01:54 PM

deficiencies?

can anyone educate me more on any deficiencies a vegetarian or vegan may have if not fully educated about it and how to avoid them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-13-2015, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

The only one you're going to get for sure is B12 as vegan, and probably not enough as vegetarian or omni.

Personally I tend to be a little light on K and calcium because I don't eat as many dark leafy greens as I should. Of course I had the same problem as an omni as well(infact I was not meeting my needs of many things). I haven't noticed vegans having problems any more than vegetarians or omnis.

I think a lot of it is that nobody thinks about an omni diet. It's only when you change it you start to wonder.

If you want to check out different foods for yourself, check out www.cronometer.com

edit-------------
Oh one thing to watch for that is not a deficiency but is still important is maintaining a good omega3:6 ratio. 1:4 is the ratio is that has been decided to be good for reasons I have no idea about, if there are reasons at all.....pretty much though from what I understand a 1:1 ratio would be better but they probably say 1:4 to make it seem obtainable much like the food guide.

Anyways vegans more often have bad ratios, vegetarians are the next worst, and omnis are the least bad.

Last edited by odizzido; 07-13-2015 at 04:06 PM.
#3 Old 07-13-2015, 04:34 PM
Veggie Regular

The best places to read about these topics are these websites from vegan registered dietitians: www.veganhealth.org and www.theveganrd.com. B12 supplementation is definitely a requirement. Other nutrients to pay attention to are iron (especially for women who menstruate), calcium, vitamin D and iodine (if you don't use iodized salt). Protein is often a concern, but it is easy to get enough as long as you eat legumes or soy foods.
Wolfie likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-13-2015, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Get enough of the amino acid lysine and you should be getting enough protein. The Vegan RD site should discuss it.
#5 Old 07-13-2015, 09:53 PM
Vegan since 1991

Kaiser Permanente (one of the largest health insurance companies in the United States) recommends plant-based vegan diets for the treatment of obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and hypertension. Kaiser Permanente has published a vegan nutrition guide - it explains the nutrients that vegans should focus on: http://www.kphealthyme.com/Healthy-E...ased-Diet.aspx

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#6 Old 07-14-2015, 06:08 AM

Here's a summary from the American dietetic association

http://www.eatrightpro.org/~/media/e...ariandiet.ashx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page