• 2 Post By jmb
  • 1 Post By TerriNC
  • 2 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By Naturebound
  • 1 Post By TerriNC

#1 Old 07-07-2015, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Interesting and Amazing Stuff About Stretching/ Yoga

About a month after I began my plant-based journey, my joints that had been inflamed and painful for years began to feel much better, and I decided to start trying to do some yoga to help stretch them out more. It didn’t take long to realize how much benefit I was getting from it. Within a few weeks my flexibility and strength had improved tremendously.
Even though I wasn’t aware of the exact science behind it until recently, I understood that when I practiced, I felt my muscles and tendons were breaking out of a sheath or some kind of restriction they had been in—like when a snake goes through the inch-by-inch process of loosening and shedding its old restraining skin. I was not aware that this is connective tissue throughout our bodies called fascia.
Fascia becomes binding and restrictive without regular stretching like yoga. Have you ever watched a new baby continuously stretch out their legs and arms and noticed how good it seems to feel to them? That’s what they’re doing as they are growing–breaking loose the fascia and freeing their muscles and tendons. Without it, we adults, through stress, trauma, and chronic tension, get locked into permanent posture patterns that over time can debilitate our bodies.
I put a 3 minute video up on my blog that shows fascia in the body magnified 25X. It's truly amazing!

http://blog.eatplant-based.com/scien...n-the-tissues/
LedBoots and Naturebound like this.

EatPlant-Based.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Oryzatarian

Stretching is great
Twice I was misdiagnosed with osteoarthritis when all I needed was appropriate stretching.
Nearly all my running injuries and most lifting injuries came from getting slack on my stretching.
Its a good thing.

I havent tried yoga yet, although standing on one foot and touching my ear with my tongue does sound fun
#3 Old 07-07-2015, 05:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Back in my dancing days when I studied ballet/modern dance three hours five days a week and six hours on Saturdays, I would come to the studio 45 minutes early just to stretch out my limbs and loosen my body for class. I still stretch every single day and incorporate some yoga in there too.
LedBoots and TerriNC like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-07-2015, 08:54 PM
jmb

I can agree with yoga being great. As a 37 yr old male in tech ... balance, agility and flexibility weren't my thing. However yoga, even once per week at two hours, did wonders for the joints and balance. These things helped make backpacking safer, faster and more enjoyable. Not to mention it's very relaxing on many levels and also serves as a time set aside to be quiet and reflect.
LedBoots and TerriNC like this.
#5 Old 07-08-2015, 04:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
Stretching is great

I havent tried yoga yet, although standing on one foot and touching my ear with my tongue does sound fun

Auxin, you just made me spew my coffee! Thanks for the morning laugh!

EatPlant-Based.com
#6 Old 07-08-2015, 05:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
Back in my dancing days when I studied ballet/modern dance three hours five days a week and six hours on Saturdays, I would come to the studio 45 minutes early just to stretch out my limbs and loosen my body for class. I still stretch every single day and incorporate some yoga in there too.

NatureBound, Whoa! That's hardcore practice! Now I'm trying to picture you as a ballerina.

EatPlant-Based.com
#7 Old 07-08-2015, 05:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb View Post
I can agree with yoga being great. As a 37 yr old male in tech ... balance, agility and flexibility weren't my thing. However yoga, even once per week at two hours, did wonders for the joints and balance. These things helped make backpacking safer, faster and more enjoyable. Not to mention it's very relaxing on many levels and also serves as a time set aside to be quiet and reflect.

jmb, I'm trying very hard to get my husband onboard with stretching. He wants to, but just finds it hard to make himself do it. His hamstrings are so tight!

If I go for a few days without stretching, I can definitely feel it. Before switching to this WOE and yoga, I used to have restless leg syndrome that kept me up many nights. It was so frustrating! Now, I no longer deal with that. I'm sure stretching out my hamstrings (and everything else) has a lot to do with it.
LedBoots likes this.

EatPlant-Based.com
#8 Old 07-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I'm a 57 year old female who practices yoga daily. I also do generic stretches before I get out of bed in the morning. I have osteoarthritis, as my parents and siblings do as well, and my symptoms are far better since becoming regular with my yoga.

Also since stopping dairy about 10 years ago, especially my finger arthritis drastically improved for some reason.

Men need to stretch! With their bigger bones and muscles, the connective tissue gets tight tight tight! Ask a 40 year old man to touch his toes...
TerriNC and jmb like this.
#9 Old 07-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriNC View Post
NatureBound, Whoa! That's hardcore practice! Now I'm trying to picture you as a ballerina.
One of these days I am going to have to get someone at the gym to take photos of me doing arabesques, leg extensions, grand plies, and of course the splits. :0 For now, the pics below will have to do. I sometimes play around and dance between weight sets in the weight area lol. I do lots of stretching between sets too, and balances. I haven't taken a ballet class in twenty years but I still identify as a dancer and still love doing ballet moves. I studied with Columbus City ballet school in the late 1980s, early 90s, and then majored in dance my first year in college at Ohio State University. I started very late for ballet though, age 13, and was told in a not so nice way that I didn't have the right body type or enough turnout for ballet. However, I was steered toward Martha Graham modern technique and had way too long of legs for all those squats and her down to earth style. Sighs...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31915 marquette vacation photos 015.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	10649   Click image for larger version

Name:	August 8 09 at Grand Marais Elaine in Ballet Pose.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	10657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yoga at Grand Marais June 2011.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	10665  
TerriNC likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 07-12-2015, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
One of these days I am going to have to get someone at the gym to take photos of me doing arabesques, leg extensions, grand plies, and of course the splits. :0 For now, the pics below will have to do. I sometimes play around and dance between weight sets in the weight area lol. I do lots of stretching between sets too, and balances. I haven't taken a ballet class in twenty years but I still identify as a dancer and still love doing ballet moves. I studied with Columbus City ballet school in the late 1980s, early 90s, and then majored in dance my first year in college at Ohio State University. I started very late for ballet though, age 13, and was told in a not so nice way that I didn't have the right body type or enough turnout for ballet. However, I was steered toward Martha Graham modern technique and had way too long of legs for all those squats and her down to earth style. Sighs...
WOW! You GO GIRL!
Naturebound likes this.

EatPlant-Based.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page