VeggieBoards banner

Protein Concerns

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  Cissy 
#1 ·
Yes, I know this is a horrible question, and that protein should be easy to get in a vegan diet. Should being the key word there. I've been googling this for ages, without much luck.

Okay, here's the problem: I recently discovered that I was wheat intolerant; this took away meat analogues as a convenient source of protein. (I've heard about California Burgers, but they aren't available anywhere remotely nearby). Now I'm having a bit of a pickle trying to get protein. Eating more than a few servings of beans a day makes my stomach hurt (
) So, at the moment, my main sources of protein are soy milk, lentils, and vegetables. I'm not great with tofu, plus it's too warm to cook right now. I know for a fact I'm not getting enough protein.

So, the question: Are there any convenient, lower calorie, wheat free, vegan protein-rich foods? I've considered going back to eating eggs, but the thought of doing that grosses me out, knowing what eggs are.

(PS - No broccoli. I love the stuff, but it hurts my stomach
And tempeh isn't available here either - the closest place I've seen it is 45 minutes away)

See less See more
#4 ·
I make protein shakes from a brown rice powder- I think the brand is MLO. It's vegan and gluten free. I think it has 15gms of protein/2 TBSP. They carry it at veganessentials.com, but if you have a supplement shop by you, they mihgt be able to order it- it's pretty cheap too.

#6 ·
Nuts... I hadn't really thought about those. Nuts tend to scare me a bit, for eating disordered reasons - while I am doing well in recovery, I still have my quirks. I eat PB once in awhile. Plus I'm not a nut fan, really. And while I've heard of Amaranth, I've never seen it. :/

Punkmommy - I hadn't thought of protein powder... hmm, I'll have to look around
I'm a big fan of smoothies.

#10 ·
Some of the larger bagels tend to be high in protein...the Thomas' plain ones I have are around 11 grams. Anything wheat in the ingredient list is out, right? No wheat gluten or unbleached enriched wheat flour? I'm guessing you can't tolerate these, so you wouldn't want to buy the Thomas' brand, but I'm sure others without those ingredients are similar in protein.

#13 ·
Damn, I was going to suggest quinoa, but smedley said it first.

Quinoa is awesome, has a versatile taste, and cooks quickly. It, I do believe, is a complete protein or super close to it. It is packed with nutrients and comes with its own little germ tail that curls out as you cook it, so it looks kind of funky, which in my mind is always a plus.

Did you used to like scrambled eggs? You can make scrambled tofu that tastes almost exactly like scrambled eggs- I think way better, I put tumeric, garlic, onions, ground red pepper and stuff like that in it- and definetly doesn't taste like tofu. I don't know if you've tried that or not.

#14 ·
Doesn't anyone here eat beans?
I make a burger mix with brown rice and black beans that packs a pretty good protein punch. Lentils are a good source as well.

At our local HFS, there is a big 'ol gluten free section of analogs, but I've no idea what quality/how expensive they are.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissy View Post

Okay, here's the problem: I recently discovered that I was wheat intolerant; this took away meat analogues as a convenient source of protein. (I've heard about California Burgers, but they aren't available anywhere remotely nearby).

..snip..

(PS - No broccoli. I love the stuff, but it hurts my stomach
And tempeh isn't available here either - the closest place I've seen it is 45 minutes away)
You're in Michigan, right? I can get California burgers at Kroger in Ann Arbor, and tempeh at Meijer.. at least, the Flint, Ann Arbor, and Lansing-area ones. But as for BFE Michigan (central, north, upper penninsula) I don't know what your luck will be. There's always chic peas, too. Channa masala (Indian chic pea stew with tomatoes, tons of spices, onions, chic peas.. one of my favorites) and chic pea salads are an option with chic peas / garbanzo beans.

Good luck.

#18 ·
Dr. Schmeeb - Yeah, the closest Meijer is definitely 40ish minutes away
And Ann Arbor is three hours away, but I might see if I can get some when we help Hunter go back to college (Ypsilanti).

IamJen - I can't eat more than a few servings of beans a day, or else I'm in pain

Anyway, thanks for all the ideas everyone, I have plenty of information now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.