Flat Feet: Help Needed - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I've had flat feet all my life, but only within the last couple of years have I actually had any discomfort. I have used expensive orthotics, cheap store brand orthotics, really comfy shoes, etc. However, after walking in NY for an afternoon or even just taking a walk around the block, my feet, ankles and shins are sore. It's sooooo frustrating. I'm hesitant to seek out more professional help, because it seems like most doctors will suggest either the orthotics or surgery, which has not been proven to be all that helpful.

Does anyone else have weak arches/flat feet? Is there any way to actually strengthen my arches??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-20-2004, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I was born with slender, and very arched feet. My sis has flat feet, and her sneakers make it worse..
#3 Old 07-20-2004, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Arched feet, eh? You probably look awesome in heels. If I wear heels (which I rarely do), my feet and back start to hurt after 10 minutes! So, why does your sister think that her sneakers make her feet feel worse? Are they good sneakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I have pretty flat feet, but they don't cause me any problems. I wear New Balance 856s which are supposed to be good for flat feet (I also love the 854s).
#5 Old 07-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky73 View Post

Arched feet, eh? You probably look awesome in heels.

Yeah, they are..
#6 Old 07-20-2004, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnicula View Post

I have pretty flat feet, but they don't cause me any problems. I wear New Balance 856s which are supposed to be good for flat feet (I also love the 854s).

I'll have to check those out, I am due for a new pair of sneakers. So, your feet don't bother you even when you're wearing other shoes? Hmmm, maybe I'm just getting old, I didn't use to have this problem.
#7 Old 07-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I have super flat feet.

A suggestion if you're going to buy sneakers: Go to a running store, even if you're not a runner. They'll check your gait and tell you what type of shoes you need. It can make a difference.
#8 Old 07-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadstool View Post

I have super flat feet.

A suggestion if you're going to buy sneakers: Go to a running store, even if you're not a runner. They'll check your gait and tell you what type of shoes you need. It can make a difference.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I just went to the New Balance website and they have you fill out about 10 questions regarding your feet, etc. They will email me a sneaker recommendation, but I'll still probably go to a store to try them on just to be on the safe side.
#9 Old 07-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

You don't even have to go to a running store, although I'm sure they'd be helpful. If you go to a good shoe store where you can get personal help, they should be able to recommend the right shoe. You can do a search on New Balance's website for stores in your area.
#10 Old 07-20-2004, 03:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I second going to a running store. The associates that work at them are much more knowledgeable than those that work at regular sporting stores.

I bought my 856s at The Running Room.
#11 Old 07-20-2004, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

My feet are pretty flat. So if you wear heels, do your feet cramp up toward the end of the day or after you take the heels off?
#12 Old 07-20-2004, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy13 View Post

My feet are pretty flat. So if you wear heels, do your feet cramp up toward the end of the day or after you take the heels off?

Both!
#13 Old 07-20-2004, 03:34 PM
Veggie Regular

That sucks. It happens during workouts, too.
#14 Old 07-20-2004, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

What really sucks is not having someone to rub my feet at the end of the day.
#15 Old 07-20-2004, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

It also happens while I'm driving. I've just started to wear lower or no heel shoes most of the time, and heels maybe once a week. This seems to help, but I've got some cute boots I like to wear, dammit! I read once that being cold affects cramping, too. It seems that if I get into bed and my feet are cold, they'll cramp. So I'll just wear socks to bed, though probably not again until November or so.
#16 Old 07-20-2004, 03:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

What really sucks is not having someone to rub my feet at the end of the day.

What you need is a foot bath/massager!
#17 Old 07-22-2004, 12:54 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbunnicula View Post

What you need is a foot bath/massager!

Sounds like a good idea to me!

I have had flat feet for a long time. My balance was quite affected. I lost my balance often. Last fall, after a recommendation from a doctor, I bought cheap arches to go inside my shoes. What a difference! My balance is much better.

I suggest that you choose your shoes wisely.
#18 Old 07-25-2004, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

there are ways to work your arches and build strength in your feet. a flat foot is a foot that is too flexable, a high arched foot is one that is too rigid (not flexable enough). There are ways to work with/treat these problems, but they take time, practice, and a lot of patience.

First things first, working out your feet properly. Now, start with a good pair of wooden soled clogs. If you buy a brand like bastad, which is quality, then it will hold your foot in the right position and "work out the foot" just as if you were lifting weights or something with it. Walk for twenty minutes in these shoes each day, and then go bare foot for a while. Yes, it does tire the foot out, like any other exercise.

After you go bare foot, switch to a more comfortable, resin based clog, such as danskos. these will also hold your foot in the right position, but it's similar to being bare foot.

The next section here is about yoga and your feet. There are many yoga poses that can help you "build" your feet, and it's important to focus on the feet when you're doing them. If you go to Yoga Journal online (yogajournal.com), there is an article about feet by tias little (i believe that's his name) that gives a great discription of anatomy, how to work the feet, etc in basic standing poses. Find that alignment and work it every day. Also wander around barefoot often, and mindfully, noticing how the foot moves and what you can do to make adjustments when standing or walking.

Now, these are just to strengthen the foot and make things work. I know that this process works because in five years i've had countless yoga students with flat feet who now have beautiful arches (particularly in class and in yoga poses). Granted, they're lower than regular arches because of the bone structure, but they are there nonetheless. Similarly, my husband has had "untreatable flat feet" his whole life (his mother swore he would never have an arch) and today he has a discernable arch. He went to the foot doctor who was shocked to see the changes in his feet.

Now, when he runs or does any physical activity, he does use his orthotics. Because he is a runner, he buys special orthotic running shoes that prevent overpronation. he prefers nikes' air stasis which is available for men and women. new balance also has a shoe for this, which he says is also very good. when out and not exercising, where your comfy clogs as often as possible, and wooden clogs if you'd like. Then, when you have your discernable arch and you have a handle for how to walk, move into other shoes that you find cute or comfortable (including heels).

A word to the wise, to buy high quality shoes that are going to help you with this, you're going to lay out some cash. Consider it preventative medicine. flat feet can lead to a number of ankle, knee, hip, and spinal problems because of the way that one walks (which is improperly). So, put the money into prevention. Similarly, i do not think that bastad or dansko offer leather-free versions of their shoes. To date, i have been unable to find any vegan clogs that have the quality in the soles that these two brands have. Again, i would consider this a health-related consession. since there are no other viable alternatives, it is acceptable to buy these specific shoes for your own health and well being. also, the shoes last pretty much forever and can be refibrished for a very low cost. this is a great way to have quality shoes for a long time. (i have some pairs that are over 7 years old, two years old before i even went veg).

I hope this helps. it does take a lot of time and practice.

Be well and happy!
#19 Old 07-25-2004, 10:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I find the curve of feet shexy. dead shexy.
#20 Old 07-25-2004, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerbaboon View Post

Yeah, they are..

nice pic, rawr!
#21 Old 07-25-2004, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I've had flat feet all my life, but only within the last couple of years have I actually had any discomfort. I have used expensive orthotics, cheap store brand orthotics, really comfy shoes, etc. However, after walking in NY for an afternoon or even just taking a walk around the block, my feet, ankles and shins are sore. It's sooooo frustrating. I'm hesitant to seek out more professional help, because it seems like most doctors will suggest either the orthotics or surgery, which has not been proven to be all that helpful.

Does anyone else have weak arches/flat feet? Is there any way to actually strengthen my arches??

My mom has super flat feet as well. She wears sneakers that she can put her inserts in (she also has a bone spur on one of her feet, to add to the problems). Also, Birkenstocks seem to treat her feet well. And she never goes barefoot or wears slippers. Around the house, she wears those arched Adidas flip flops.

I got my Daddy's super arched feet. I think feet are ugly in general, but they don't hurt
#22 Old 11-22-2005, 10:32 AM
Banned

hi formerbaboon and sky!!, do u have high arched feet? do u have any pic? like peter parker i think that is sexy in a woman, sky how flat is your feet?
#23 Old 11-22-2005, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Umm...I think we have some foot fetishists here...

Anyway, back to the issue at hand. My feet are not quite flat, but I do have very low arches. I only wear shoes with good arches. I wear NB running shoes, Birkenstocks (which I think are unattractive, but they're comfy), Chaco sandles, and I have a pair of Vegan Earth shoes coming in the mail. I never wear flat shoes or heels (well, I wear heels at weddings, but that happens maybe once a year). I know some people just can't live without their heels, but I just have to think of my grandmother's hammer toes resulting from a lifetime of heels, not to mention the pain I'm in everytime I wear heels, to dissuade me from buying any. I know a lot of women love wearing high heels, but I can't help but see them as a form of oppression.

A good exercise to do is to put your foot on a tennis ball and roll your arch over it for a while.
#24 Old 11-23-2005, 08:10 AM
Banned

if you do the exercise with the tennis ball your arch maybe high? or better?
#25 Old 11-23-2005, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page