overwhelmed...depression/anxiety. first step? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-15-2004, 03:35 PM
Beginner

i rarely post but i could use some advice on this one...

i have a bit of drama going on in my family. it is nothing *serious* but enough to bug me (long story, but im not getting along with my younger brother and his wife who also happens to be the devil- in cincinnati of all paces, who knew? anyway, i think about it almost constantly. i feel like i have a 20 pound weight on my chest constantly and i just cannot relax. on top of this, i am still dealing with the loss of my grandpa who passed away two months ago. im (almost weekly) having huge sobbing breakdowns when i think about him or even when i think about my grandma and the loss she has sufferered. im also in the mode of planning a wedding for next year, which while exciting- dont get me wrong, i love it! is also very stressful due to the many decisions that need to be made and the finances involved and my limited budget! so it is not as if it is just one thing that is getting ot me that i can deal with...its the combination of all the above things.

every little thing seems to irritate the hell out of me, as if i am having the worst PMS every day of the month! the most petty thing can send me into tears which is not a norm for me. and because of it all im having trouble sleeping. my mind is going a million miles a minute, keeping me awake and when i do get to sleep it is a very restless sleep :/ im sure the lack of sleep is not helping my patience.

i am aware of my feelings/emotions and realize that my reactions to stressors arent quite right. and yes, if youre wondering, depression is not uncommon in my family (nothing major, but its in the family history for sure).

so my question is where do i go from here? what is the first step? i have talked to my fiance about it and a close friend. but they have no experience with this. i am close to my mother but would like to keep her out of the loop as she is just as upset with all the family drama and is dealing with the death of her father... i dont want her worrying about me right now.

how do i know if this is serious enough to contact a professional? and if i should, then who? my family doctor?

im so confused. thanks for any feedback-

allison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-15-2004, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

First, do everything to take care of yourself: eat well, drink water, exercise, talk to your friends and family, take time for hobbies you enjoy, relaxation/meditation.

Sometimes it's nice to talk to someone outside the situation for advise or a different perspective. I'd consider talking to a counsellor. It may only take a few sessions to get things sorted out. Your family doctor is a good place to get referral or contact your local community centre. Good luck and keep us updated.
#3 Old 07-15-2004, 04:02 PM

What said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-15-2004, 04:13 PM

I too agree with Auroralily. You're on overload, and you need to take care of yourself, including talking to a professional.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page