teen age tooth decay - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 43Likes

#1 Old 05-02-2015, 08:42 AM
Banned

teen age tooth decay

Hi im 16 and been vegetarian {fish once or twice a year free range eggs in the summer and some cheese }
all my life and health but i have some tooth caveties now i dont like the idea of haveing them drilled and filled and googling ‘‘tooth decay and vegetarian‘‘ gets loads of results from ex vegans saying if you eat veg you teeth will fail out in a week dose any boady have a protocol for repairing existing cavities

any help would be great

regards sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Well, I can assure you that a vegetarian diet won't cause your teeth to fall out. I've never had a cavity and I've been vegetarian for over 20 years. I think that dental health is largely about luck and genetics. I suggest you see a dentist.
#3 Old 05-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Go to a dentist, and stop looking for medical advice online.
LedBoots, varun and erilol like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

ABSOLUTELY NO connection between vegetarianism and anything tooth related, the internet is filled with such garbage that whatever you google you will find 3-4 people agreeing to that statement.

Lets look at this scientifically.. items such as sugar (specially in forms like colas, caramel, ice cream, doughnuts etc) are devastating to teeth condition. Coffee/tea loaded with sugar not only makes the teeth dull/yellow but also eat away its enamel. Processed foods also harm the gums by altering blood chemistry. The primary reasons for healthy gums will always remain good essential diet (as natural as possible) maintenance, brushing 2 times a day, using mouthwash and floss will certainly keep the teeth healthy for a long time. It also wont hurt to rinse the mouth after every meal (as it dilutes and neutralizes tooth enamel eating acids). It might be expensive but if one cleans out his/her teeth at the dentist's once every year (polishing and plaque treatment) then there is no chance of decay/cavity whatever be the diet.

A diet rich in calcium is important, since you are vegetarian I don't think you have that problem either since you can drink milk/eat cheese. Vegans who don't take care of their teeth will not have healthy teeth, as would just about anybody. The correlation between a well balanced vegan diet and tooth decay is about as believable as flying unicorns.
David3 and no whey jose like this.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#5 Old 05-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Banned

re

im not worried about my vegetarian diet causing tooth decay. it was probably the fact that i only started flossing a week ago, but i cant see why every part of the human body can heal except the teeth. so when i googl for a cure i have to go thru pages and pages of ex vegys lecturing on why to eat meat. im more wondering whether any one has ever cured a cavity.
#6 Old 05-02-2015, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to cure cavities. You're going to need to see a dentist.
varun and David3 like this.
#7 Old 05-02-2015, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanE View Post
im more wondering whether any one has ever cured a cavity.
Healing only happens where regeneration is possible, the best example of this is liver. People have drunk to the extent of nearly eroding the liver but if they stop at the right time it can regenerate itself to almost good as new. A fingernail can regenerate too but not teeth, hence its impossible to heal a cavity.. it can only become worse until its filled & treated.
no whey jose likes this.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#8 Old 05-02-2015, 02:05 PM
Banned

who says regeneration is not possible, I grew them as a child why can't i grow them now. teeth are not dead lumps of calcium they have blood vessels nerves ex.
i know every one would just go to the dentist, and i did get one out and two filled. but theirs more and i don't like chewing with plastic or mercury.
#9 Old 05-02-2015, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
who says regeneration is not possible, I grew them as a child why can't i grow them now. teeth are not dead lumps of calcium they have blood vessels nerves ex.
i know every one would just go to the dentist, and i did get one out and two filled. but theirs more and i don't like chewing with plastic or mercury.
This post on Reddit has a simplified explanation: http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/c...hy_cant_teeth/

Essentially, teeth aren't made of the kinds of cells that can heal. Your teeth can and do heal to a certain extent, but a large portion of each tooth is fundamentally unable to do so. It's physically impossible.

If you already suffer from visible cavities, you can either seek treatment or live with the increasing pain and discomfort. I know that dental work is no fun, but I really think the alternative is a lot worse.
#10 Old 05-02-2015, 07:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I have not had a single cavity or problem with my teeth in the four years I have been strict vegan. I had LOADS of problems when I was a teenager many years ago, but most of them were related to genetics more than bad hygeine. When I gave up soda pop in 2008, cavities became a thing of the past. I do get regular checkups every six months and keep sugar intake way down with the exception of natural fruit (generally 2 to 4 servings per day of those).

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#11 Old 05-03-2015, 04:39 AM
Banned

when i'm on buses people in front of me do be practically gargling with sodas the whole way and they don't have dentures i haven't drank a soda in years its not fair
this is one of the sites Ive been looking at http://www.curetoothdecay.com
#12 Old 05-03-2015, 05:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
when i'm on buses people in front of me do be practically gargling with sodas the whole way and they don't have dentures i haven't drank a soda in years its not fair
this is one of the sites Ive been looking at http://www.curetoothdecay.com
I just had a look at that link and just wow. So ridiculously untrue and lacking in science. Whole grains, nuts/seeds, and beans of course are picked on for their phytic acid. Cod liver oil is heavily promoted. And HUGE amount of acids in dairy and meat are ignored. Stinks of politics and money making. I researched this author a bit more and was led to a site where he sells all kinds of "natural" supplements. I can find very little information if any about where he went to school, what degrees he has, how he obtained his credentials etc. Anyone can put a few letters beside their name and promote their cause on the internet. I want to see double blind studies before you tell me whole grains, beans, and nuts/seeds are so bad for you. I have never seen a single case of anyone who eats a healthy diet based on nuts/seeds, fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and beans who does not eat junk food have issues with their teeth based on diet alone.

You can't believe everything you read on the internet.

And those people drinking soda on the bus, they might not have dentures but it doesn't mean they are getting away with their habits. Not all health problems are visible to the naked eye.
no whey jose likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#13 Old 05-03-2015, 09:07 AM
Banned

a lot of that site is is nonsenses. however i do know seeds grains and nuts are met to be soaked to make them healthy
the reason i'm talking about this is every thing i thort was halthy seem not so health when you thingk about it primativ man didnt eat roald oats with sticky dried fruits in the morning then a slice of powderd grain fka bread with a cup of Coffey i have know idea what my own speises in ment to eat man kind has realy lost his way and the internet is a demonstration of that you can get two answers for every thing

but who do you think makes more money out of tooth decay that guy that owns curetooothdecay or dentists
#14 Old 05-03-2015, 09:51 AM
Vegan since 1991

Delta Dental cautions vegetarians and vegans to consume sufficient calcium and vitamin D: http://oralhealth.deltadental.com/Ad...on/22,Delta118 . Because you consume dairy products (which are rich in calcium, and fortified with vitamin D), you already comply with this recommendation. Just continue to pay attention to these nutrients.

If you don't want mercury-containing (amalgam) fillings, you can find a dentist that offers composite or ionomer fillings: http://oralhealth.deltadental.com/Search/22,21266

Please provide evidence, from a reputable source (not from a blog or "health guru" website), to show that nuts and seeds must be soaked in order to be healthy.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#15 Old 05-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

I think the idea that human beings are "meant" to eat anything is kind of silly. We've flourished because we can survive on a very varied diet. As for what's healthiest to eat, the most reliable sources agree that it's vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts, and legumes. There's not a lot of disagreement over that. The website you linked isn't reputable at all, so I wouldn't let it bother you.
Naturebound likes this.
#16 Old 05-03-2015, 10:49 AM
Banned

im of losing track of what is the porpos of this forum i was curios if any one had ever healed a cavity with a vegan slash vegetarian alternative to www.curetooth d but i guess no one has
regarding soaking nuts and seeds alll thru out history culturs have allwas fermented the japanes never eat un fermented soy, bread was fermented its only recently every thing has to be fast and come out of a packet
#17 Old 05-03-2015, 10:58 AM
Veggie Regular

The purpose of this forum is to help people transition to vegetarianism or veganism, and to be able to talk to other vegans/vegetarians since a lot of people don't know any personally.
People here will often give some advice regarding food, etc. But with an issue like this, you'll be a lot better off going to the dentist than take some wrong advice you read online and make it even worse for you and your teeth.
Naturebound and David3 like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#18 Old 05-03-2015, 11:03 AM
Vegan since 1991

Please see a dentist, before your cavities get worse. Don't wait any longer.
no whey jose likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
#19 Old 05-03-2015, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Just see a dentist, please.
David3 likes this.
#20 Old 05-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Banned

any vegans i know are interested health thats why i though the vegan health catigory would be the best place to ask this question
#21 Old 05-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Veggie Regular

There's a difference between being able to help others regarding what they are doing wrong with their diet (ex: lack of calories, where to get certain nutrients), and portraying the role of a dentist.
David3 and no whey jose like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#22 Old 05-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Banned

dentist have no cure they bung a hole with cement great when you need it but heath teeth thru nutrition makes more senses to me this guy talks about fat solubles and vit k2 that's where i though you could help
http://www.westonaprice.org/health-t...rows-children/
#23 Old 05-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Banned

doint get me wrong i just thought some one would have been though this before and have some advice
#24 Old 05-03-2015, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
dentist have no cure they bung a hole with cement great when you need it but heath teeth thru nutrition makes more senses to me this guy talks about fat solubles and vit k2 that's where i though you could help
Weston A Price is the same organization that advocates the regular consumption of meat and animal fats, so I don't see why a vegetarian would want to take advice from there.
no whey jose likes this.

#25 Old 05-03-2015, 12:20 PM
Banned

thats why i asked the question i thought i would get a response like price is wrong about the meat thing you can get all the nutrients you need on a vegan diet consisting of f f f i know i can get k2 from natto howerver discusting it may be
#26 Old 05-03-2015, 12:57 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:

seanE, your link is to the Weston A. Price Foundation, an organization that actively criticizes vegetarian diets: http://www.westonaprice.org/health-t...go-vegetarian/. Their anti-vegetarian stance is challenged by the American Diabetes Association and the American Heart Association (both of which praise vegetarian and vegan diets).

Regarding vitamin K2, it's only found naturally in animal sources: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=vitamin+k2+sources . However, your body creates its own vitamin K2 by converting vitamin K1 (which is found in plant foods): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin..._K2_in_animals
Naturebound and no whey jose like this.

_________

Last edited by David3; 05-03-2015 at 01:33 PM.
#27 Old 05-03-2015, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

You absolutely can get all your necessary nutrients from plant foods, but nutrition isn't going to fix your cavities. You need to see a dentist. That's not what you want to hear, but it's true. No one here is going to tell you that you can heal your cavities with acai powder and DHA supplements because that's untrue and we aren't selling anything.
jessandreia, David3 and Ladyjay like this.
#28 Old 05-03-2015, 01:33 PM
Banned

ok but your wrong dave google sticky roten soy beans thay have vit k 2
#29 Old 05-03-2015, 01:42 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
ok but your wrong dave google sticky roten soy beans thay have vit k 2

LOL, OK, but that doesn't sound very appetizing, and it's not necessary. Your body converts vitamin K1 (from plant sources) into vitamin K2.

Now come on, younger brother! Get off the computer and go see your dentist! Your teeth will thank you.

_________

#30 Old 05-03-2015, 02:07 PM
Banned

choose your poison plastic=estrogen=manboobs or mercury=insanity
thanks for your unsatisfactory reply's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page