Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Maim56
  • 1 Post By David3
  • 2 Post By runnerveggie

#1 Old 04-25-2015, 06:29 AM

2 month vegetarian-still suffering acne

Hello fellow vegan/vegetarian!

Before I start, I just want to say thank you for taking the time to read my post! Any advice would be appreciated!

So It has been 2 months since becoming vegetarian and although i had suffered from acne previously, it has gotten much worse after my diet/lifestyle change. I not only have spots on my face but suddenly also have spots all over my scalp and suffer from dry scalp. I never used to have this problem before on my scalp and I haven't changed any products that I use.

I do not eat dairy as I am lactose intolerant and also cannot eat gluten because I am gluten intolerant. Most of my diet consists of fruit,vegetables and qionua and white rice. I hardly ever have processed foods.

I literally do not understand what it is and am so so frustrated because I do not know what I am doing wrong. From next week I have decided to take a multivitamin and see whether that helps or not.

I am trying to get a blood test done but after 4 appointments they can't seem to get blood out of me so I am waiting for another appointment(I've always had bad veins)

Has anyone else suffered from this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-25-2015, 06:37 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I wish I was there, I love drawing blood from difficult-veined people (used to work neonatal ICU, you should see THOSE tiny veins.)

Anyway, what are you eating as far as fats are concerned? Skin and hair need fats.
#3 Old 04-25-2015, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I wish I was there, I love drawing blood from difficult-veined people (used to work neonatal ICU, you should see THOSE tiny veins.)

Anyway, what are you eating as far as fats are concerned? Skin and hair need fats.
haha i wish you were here as well then! last time i went they put the needle in the veins on the top of my hands, the side and my arms and they still cannot get enough blood!

I switch between olive/coconut oil for stir fry or on salads :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-25-2015, 06:51 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maim56 View Post
haha i wish you were here as well then! last time i went they put the needle in the veins on the top of my hands, the side and my arms and they still cannot get enough blood!

I switch between olive/coconut oil for stir fry or on salads :/
I hope they are able to diagnose your problem. Before your blood draw next time, try to get hydrated nicely by making sure you drink enough fluids beforehand. If they are labs you have to fast for, drink extra the day or two beforehand. Terrible to get jabbed and jabbed like that.
#5 Old 04-25-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I hope they are able to diagnose your problem. Before your blood draw next time, try to get hydrated nicely by making sure you drink enough fluids beforehand. If they are labs you have to fast for, drink extra the day or two beforehand. Terrible to get jabbed and jabbed like that.

Thank you for your reply and for understanding!! <3
LedBoots likes this.
#6 Old 04-25-2015, 07:24 AM
Vegan since 1991

Hi Maim 56,

Acne can be caused by stress also. Making the transition to a vegetarian diet can be stressful for some, especially if they were previously eating a meat-centered diet, or if their spouse / children are having trouble understanding this transition. How are you doing in this regard?

Coconut oil is delicious, but it is very high in saturated fat: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...9/1?print=true . Although certain magazines and websites claim that saturated fat is not harmful, reputable health and medical organizations (such as the American Heart Association) nevertheless warn people to minimize their consumption of saturated fat: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Gettin...10_Article.jsp
#7 Old 04-25-2015, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Hi Maim 56,

Acne can be caused by stress also. Making the transition to a vegetarian diet can be stressful for some, especially if they were previously eating a meat-centered diet, or if their spouse / children are having trouble understanding this transition. How are you doing in this regard?

Coconut oil is delicious, but it is very high in saturated fat: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...9/1?print=true . Although certain magazines and websites claim that saturated fat is not harmful, reputable health and medical organizations (such as the American Heart Association) nevertheless warn people to minimize their consumption of saturated fat: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Gettin...10_Article.jsp

Hi David3!

Thank you for taking the time to reply! I wouldn't say I am stressed as before I went vegetarian I was eating 90% vege and 10% meat(mostly chicken)

Coconut oil I normally have every 2 to 3 weeks so I wouldn't say i have it in excess. But I think I will cut it out from next week and see how my skin reacts
#8 Old 04-25-2015, 07:58 AM
Vegan since 1991

Hi Maim 56,

Eating a little coconut oil every 2 or 3 weeks is a very low level of consumption - it shouldn't hurt you.

As LedBoots said, it's good to eat a certain amount of fat (preferably from whole foods). Most vegan food guides recommend that we eat a small amount of nuts and seeds on a daily basis (especially walnuts, ground flax seeds, chia seeds, or hemp seeds). I eat a palmful (not a handful) of nuts every day.

Mercy For Animals has a very nicely-written vegan nutrition guide: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/vsg.pdf . The nutrition section of the guide begins on page 7. I like this particular vegan guide because it doesn't include any slaughterhouse photos, and it's beautifully designed and informative.
LedBoots likes this.

Last edited by David3; 04-25-2015 at 08:01 AM.
#9 Old 04-25-2015, 10:01 AM

Ahh thank you! I do consume chia seeds quite often throughout the week but I think I will start having at-least a palmful of walnuts every day and see whether that helps! Thank you for the link, incredibly helpful!
#10 Old 04-25-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
Hi Maim 56,

Eating a little coconut oil every 2 or 3 weeks is a very low level of consumption - it shouldn't hurt you.

As LedBoots said, it's good to eat a certain amount of fat (preferably from whole foods). Most vegan food guides recommend that we eat a small amount of nuts and seeds on a daily basis (especially walnuts, ground flax seeds, chia seeds, or hemp seeds). I eat a palmful (not a handful) of nuts every day.

Mercy For Animals has a very nicely-written vegan nutrition guide: http://www.mercyforanimals.org/vsg.pdf . The nutrition section of the guide begins on page 7. I like this particular vegan guide because it doesn't include any slaughterhouse photos, and it's beautifully designed and informative.
Ahh thank you! I do consume chia seeds quite often throughout the week but I think I will start having at-least a palmful of walnuts every day and see whether that helps! Thank you for the link, incredibly helpful
#11 Old 04-25-2015, 04:15 PM

Cool Lemons!!!

HEY! I think I know what you can do I have struggled with ache, and have been vegan for a year. Absolutely nothing helped! I was so confused, until recently I started juicing, fresh juicing! lemon carrot spinach apple ect. I found it helped when I have one or two lemons every day in a blender drink or in plain water ! just keep hydrated and have lemons! they are the ultimate detox

Last edited by juniperpratt; 04-25-2015 at 04:43 PM.
#12 Old 04-25-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperpratt View Post
HEY! I think I know what you can do I have struggled with ache, and have been vegan for a year. Absolutely nothing helped! I was so confused, until recently I started juicing, fresh juicing! lemon carrot spinach apple ect. I found when I have one or two lemons every day in a blender drink or in plain water! just keep hydrated and have lemons! they are the ultimate detox
Hello!! Thank you so much for the reply! I will start trying that from tomorrow! At this rate I am willing to try anything!
#13 Old 04-25-2015, 04:27 PM

This is a bit icky, but since most of my spots are whiteheads could that mean I am getting too much oil? :/ I cleanse my skin two times a day with the vitamin E cleanser from body shop and I exfoliate at least twice a week.
#14 Old 04-25-2015, 04:33 PM

Also sauna and steam rooms! If you have a rec centre in your area just go twice a week! its super good for cleansing your pores and that seems to be your problem if your getting white heads! sometimes exfoliation is too hard on the skin, and it just ends up coming back! I would do that a little less(but incorporate it still) and steam a little more please if you try this lemon detox/steam routine let me know how it goes!

Last edited by juniperpratt; 04-25-2015 at 04:39 PM.
#15 Old 04-25-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperpratt View Post
Also sauna and steam rooms! If you have a rec centre in your area just go twice a week! its super good for cleansing your pores and that seems to be your problem if your getting white heads!

Thank you juniperpratt! Unfortunately, I don't have the time at the moment to go but I will try and do some home steaming therapy :P and yes I will definitely try this and let you know!
#16 Old 04-26-2015, 05:58 AM
Veggie Regular

My guess is the acne is unrelated to diet, as most dietary connections have been disproven (chocolate, fried foods). Here is a nice article on over the counter acne products: https://www.aad.org/stories-and-news...medicine-shelf

A warning that benzoyl peroxide will bleach your towels, sheets and clothes. Aside from trying an over the counter product, be sure to be gentle with your skin. Too much scrubbing or picking can make acne and acne scars worse. Are you seeing a dermatologist? A blood test wouldn't be necessary for acne on its own, but maybe you have something else going on medically.
danakscully64 and LedBoots like this.
#17 Old 04-26-2015, 09:14 AM

Some vegetarians lack zinc which can be the cause of ance. But the diet is not supposed to clear up your skin anyways, so I wouldn't rely on vegetarianism too much. Find a good dermatologist
#18 Old 04-26-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerveggie View Post
My guess is the acne is unrelated to diet, as most dietary connections have been disproven (chocolate, fried foods). Here is a nice article on over the counter acne products: https://www.aad.org/stories-and-news...medicine-shelf

A warning that benzoyl peroxide will bleach your towels, sheets and clothes. Aside from trying an over the counter product, be sure to be gentle with your skin. Too much scrubbing or picking can make acne and acne scars worse. Are you seeing a dermatologist? A blood test wouldn't be necessary for acne on its own, but maybe you have something else going on medically.
No at the moment I am not seeing a dermatologist as they always put me on medication and I don't want to be put on accutane. Have't there been a number of studies also proving that diet does have an effect on your skin? I mean take the China study for example!
Thank you for the reply!
#19 Old 04-26-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwithnocrown View Post
Some vegetarians lack zinc which can be the cause of ance. But the diet is not supposed to clear up your skin anyways, so I wouldn't rely on vegetarianism too much. Find a good dermatologist

I have been to the 'best' dermatologist in my area He put me on accutane which helped but after i went off it the acne came back but slowly. However, as soon as i became vegetarian, my skin exploded with acne
#20 Old 05-01-2015, 05:08 AM
Veggie Regular

How is your fat intake? Try to stop using oils and high -fat vegan foods except for nuts that you shelled yourself, avocado, and maybe a little bit of fresh coconut meat now and then. Olives instead of olive oil. Basically no processed or rancid fats.

Also stop eating the processed fake vegan meats and cheeses if you are using them. Use intact, recognizable beans instead.

That might help. It should take 2 weeks to see if it works.

Also it might be something you put on your face: makeup, sunscreen, moisturizer, or hair conditioner.
#21 Old 05-01-2015, 05:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you changed anything in your skin care routine? It could be as simple as that.

About fat, don't reduce your intake too much. The human body NEEDS dietary fat (including saturated fat) to function - it's just that most people eat more than they need.

Could it be that you have started eating more sugar since going vegetarian? I find that when I eat too much sugar (and other high GI foods, such as white bread) I get pimples. So watch out for that!

Best of luck
#22 Old 05-01-2015, 07:09 AM

Hello, do you by any chance live in an area near a lot of open space (lots of grass or trees)? If so, allergies could possibly be the cause of your acne. I lived directly in front of a large hill when I lived in California, and had acne the entire time. My face was constantly oily and breaking out, and I had no idea why. First I tried upping my water intake, then went vegan (from being vegetarian), then cut out everything from my diet that had the word "sugar" on the package, then I ate only fruit and vegetables...then finally went to the dermatologist and was put on Retin-A Micro and Spironolactone. Unfortunately, none of those things worked. One day I decided to take anti-histamines because my ears and legs were itching constantly, and I figured it might be allergies. To my surprise, my acne went away! Since that day, I've moved to Germany and live in a semi-large city (not much greenery around here) and my acne is still gone, even though I never take pills (for anything) anymore.
#23 Old 05-01-2015, 10:15 AM

That's very interesting kleines, this could help many people.

Maim, are you taking vitamin B12? If not, I could almost guarantee you are low in that, it might help, and if it doesn't you still need to take it. You should take ~100mcg+ daily or ~1200mcg+ once a week. (You can't take too much).

I have rosacea and I was thinking switching to vegetarian made it worse, I wasn't sure why because I was only eating more beans and vegetables instead of meat (and eating very little dairy/eggs). It seems to have calmed down now a bit (been vegetarian for 4 months now). Maybe it just takes time for the body to adjust. Good luck with your skin, but know you are not alone!

Last edited by brydon10; 05-01-2015 at 10:22 AM.
#24 Old 05-01-2015, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwithnocrown View Post
Some vegetarians lack zinc
Just an FYI, one of the possible symptoms of it is white lines/spots on your nails. That's how I knew I was deficient lonnnng ago.

#25 Old 05-01-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
Just an FYI, one of the possible symptoms of it is white lines/spots on your nails. That's how I knew I was deficient lonnnng ago.
And the white spots went away? I have them, I've always had them.
#26 Old 05-02-2015, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brydon10 View Post
And the white spots went away? I have them, I've always had them.
Mine did, after they grew out. My zinc levels are normal now (as far as I know).

#27 Old 05-02-2015, 09:55 AM
Banned

i know every one says this when some one makes a health chose and then the opposite seems to happen but your body could be just detoxing
#28 Old 09-12-2015, 05:15 AM

Here are some effective home remedies that proved very useful for me.
The tricky part about acne is that the problem can
actually become worse if you overmedicate. That's
because acne medication can overdry the skin, causing
a boost in your skin's Sebum (oil) production. This
results in...you guessed it - more acne.

So what's the long term solution? Find gentler
solutions or even natural acne cures that won't
shock your body into more breakouts.

Here's what I recommend...

Glycerin based facewash:
Glycerin is gentler and will balance the
pH levels in your skin.

Antibacterial Soap:
For body acne, try using an antibacterial soap
to slowly dry out the skin. If your skin gets too dry,
switch to a moisterizing soap like Dove to
counterbalance the effect.

Don't Overwash:
Wash your face only 2 times a day max and gently
pat dry with a towel.

Moisterize:
Use a gentle face moisterizer if the glycerin based
face wash drys you out too much. I like using
Aveeno moisterizers personally.

Change Your Diet:
Eat almonds, fiber, drink lots of water and avoid
excess sugar intake. Food really does make a difference.
This is because the food you put into your body has a
direct effect on your Sebum (oil) production. By eating
the right foods, you'll minimize oily skin, thereby
preventing breakouts.

Egg Whites:
If acne medication isn't working or causing new breakouts,
try applying egg whites to the pimples at night before bed.
This natural remedy works by gently drying out the clogged
pores and clearing up the pimple.

Oatmeal Masks:
One of my favorite natural skin conditioners is wearing an
"oatmeal mask". The oatmeal with smooth your skin while
simultaneously absorb toxins and oils from your pores.
Try this for a few days straight. Wear the oatmeal mask
for 10 minutes, then wash off. You'll have a nice
glowing complexion right after.

Lemon Juice:
Lemon juice also dries up pimples and kills any bacteria
in the infection.The citric acid also balances your skin's
pH levels to prevent future breakouts.

Honey:
Yes, despite your initial beliefs, honey is FANTASTIC for
skin care. Actually, you may notice on many moisterizers
that honey is an ingredient. Much like the lemon solution
above, honey balances the skins pH levels. Test out this
sticky remedy by dabbing pimples with honey and leaving it
on for 5-10 minutes. You can apply full honey masks to your
face but I prefer the oatmeal masks instead. It's also my favorite one,
so If you're wondering how to get rid of acne, just try this honey mask.
They're less messy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page