Here's a good article about whether or not dairy is "healthy" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 04-18-2015, 07:43 PM

Lightbulb Here's a good article about whether or not dairy is "healthy"

I asked myself a question today about whether or not dairy is good for our health and researched the topic for a while. I stumbled upon this article from USNEWS which i will provide the link to that seems honest and unbiased.
http://health.usnews.com/health-news...healthy-or-not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-19-2015, 04:59 AM
Veggie Regular

The article leaves out a lot of information (though I understand it is an article, not a book lol). As far as environment, the article fails to mention that cattle require an immense amount of land space, food, and water. With water shortages around the world and so many people suffering from hunger, this is an expensive and inefficient way for people to obtain a product...dairy...to meet their nutritional needs. More crops are used to feed cattle worldwide than humans, and entire areas of great rainforests in Brazil have had to be decimated for cattle farming. Small local farms are not so humane either. My husband's parents live across the road from a small dairy farm and I have heard plenty of times the cries of mother cows when it's time to take away the calves. There is no mistaking that cry. Any time animals are exploited as a food source, it can never be "humane". If someone kept me as a slave and cut off my hair to use for their own purpose each time it grew out and kept me from family and bonding and so on, but allowed me to have shelter and food there, it would still be exploitation and inhumane.

On the health angle, the article also does not mention that dairy has been tested for and sometimes contains traces of antibiotics and hormones used to treat cattle to make them produce more milk.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/2006.../11-dairy.html
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancerc...growth-hormone

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page