Is there such a thing as too many nuts? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tiger Lilly
  • 1 Post By Naturebound

#1 Old 02-26-2015, 02:04 PM

Is there such a thing as too many nuts?

hi guys
I posted about this on another forum but thought it should belong here so I'll repeat it and I'll try to be brief!
I've just become vegan. I've been anorexic for 15 years and am currently severely underweight. I personally don't think veganism and anorexia are related (at least not for me - one thing is a mental health problem, the other thing is a very deeply thought out lifestyle conclusion based on my ethical beliefs)

Anyway - I do and always have eaten a LOT of nuts. All varieties, unsalted, natural whole nuts. Peanut butter, almond butter. with everything, all the time. LOTS - I'm talking about 100g a day. Is there any health reason why not? Do nuts have anything dangerous in them? I know there's a lot of fat (but I need to gain weight desperately). Can I just eat them and eat them without worrying or do I need to be cautious? OK, it is costing me a lot of money but I think I'm actually addicted.....gosh maybe they ARE addictive?!?!

Thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2015, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima View Post
hi guys
I posted about this on another forum but thought it should belong here so I'll repeat it and I'll try to be brief!
I've just become vegan. I've been anorexic for 15 years and am currently severely underweight. I personally don't think veganism and anorexia are related (at least not for me - one thing is a mental health problem, the other thing is a very deeply thought out lifestyle conclusion based on my ethical beliefs)

Anyway - I do and always have eaten a LOT of nuts. All varieties, unsalted, natural whole nuts. Peanut butter, almond butter. with everything, all the time. LOTS - I'm talking about 100g a day. Is there any health reason why not? Do nuts have anything dangerous in them? I know there's a lot of fat (but I need to gain weight desperately). Can I just eat them and eat them without worrying or do I need to be cautious? OK, it is costing me a lot of money but I think I'm actually addicted.....gosh maybe they ARE addictive?!?!

Thank you!!!
Ha, well sometimes I think I'm addicted to nuts!

The main problem I have with nuts, is that if I have too many....my body.... well, let's just say there's a few trips to the bathroom. :P

I want to recommend you look at increasing your carb intake, but I actually don't know whether that's a healthy way of going about gaining weight. It's something I did when I was competing athletically, but I'm not sure if it was a healthy way to do it.

I know we have a few members who have a much better knowledge of eating disorders, so they'll be able to give much more detailed advice that might actually be helpful!
#3 Old 02-26-2015, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi Lima!

I don't think eating too many nuts themselves is as much of a concern as eating too many nuts causing your diet to be very unbalanced. By this I mean, if you are spending all your calories on nuts, then you might be missing key nutrients such as vitamin C, glucose needed to fuel your cells, fiber, calcium etc. Nuts can be pretty satiating and may not leave much room for other foods to try. Also, most nuts with a few exceptions (such as walnuts) are much higher in omega 6 fatty acids than omega 3 and can tip the ratio in an unhealthy way. Here are some articles about it:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12442909

http://www.vegsource.com/sarah-taylo...cid-ratio.html

I think nuts can be very healthy and great to snack on! Just as long as you are getting a variety of other foods too.
Tiger Lilly likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-06-2015, 09:21 PM
Vegan since 1991

Some nuts are high in saturated fat - you can check the nutrition label on that.

Some nuts have added salt - better to eat unsalted nuts.

Aside from that, nuts are healthy!
#5 Old 03-07-2015, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Nuts are healthy. That's the good news. Most are rich in omega-6 fatty acids. You might have to add a source of omega-3 fatty acids like linseed oil or flax seeds.

If I'm not answering quickly enough - leave a note on Twitter for @Rheumatologe
#6 Old 03-07-2015, 08:58 AM

Excess of anything is bad, so is the case with nuts. For gaining weight, I would suggest you eat two bananas daily. Further, do Yog daily; in case you need assistance about it, you can browse through : http://www.divyayoga.com/miscellaneo...-training.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page