questions about using a food diary - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-01-2004, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

So, Ive been doing this vegetarian/vegan thing for about a month, and I SUCK at it. So I decided to make a food diary. I made a document that has a grid, one column for each day, and a row for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. Then at the bottom I am going to tally up all my servings from the food groups in "Becoming Vegan"'s food pyramid. so thats... grains, veggies, fruits, calcium stuff, and beans/protein stuff.

So I have a question about some of the stuff I eat on a regular basis... Im not sure what category to put them in. I know they are most likely not healthy stuff, but Im working my way up to choosing all healthy stuff, for now I am just trying to choose non-animal foods... so help me categorize these things please :

pickles

salsa (mild)

corn chips

cherrios

pop corn with melted earthbound spread

And if you have any advice... I have a hard time filling the beans/protein cat. because beans make my tummy very unhappy. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-01-2004, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I would put pickles and salsa in veggies. Corn chips, cheerios and popcorn sound like they should go in grains, but the spread should probably be placed with fats.

Honestly, I've found the whole "food group" notion to be problematic, simply because almost everything I eat is a combination of items. I just use fitday.com to calculate total nutrient intake, which is ultimately the important part. (Incidentially, the food groups were designed to "simplify" determining nutrient intake because officials thought Americans weren't able to understand the concept of vitamins, minerals, and macronutrients.)

Oh, and Odwalla has protein food bars that make getting enough easy.

Terra
#3 Old 07-01-2004, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

i would definitely put pickles into some sort of junk category (though they would fit in the vegetable portion of the food pyramid). i don't think they have much nutritional value. salsa could be in the vegetable category because i think it tends to have at least a little vitamin a. corn chips, cheerios, and popcorn would all be classified as grains in the food pyramid, but the only one of those i would count as a grain would be cheerios. i'd stick corn chips and popcorn in a junk category.

the point of food groups is to get all the different types of nutrients generally found in each group by eating some of each. if you process a food to the extent that it loses much of those nutrients, i don't think it's realistic to consider it a part of that basic food group anymore. you're not getting the same things from a pickle as you would from a cucumber.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I did something very similar, also using Becoming Vegan's food pyramid. But instead of writing down what I ate (I'm kinda lazy), I made a checklist. I wanted to make sure I got enough servings of fruits, veggies, etc., so I checked them off after I ate them. I didn't worry about tracking junk food, or anything that didn't fit my list. As long as I ate enough of the good foods (whole grains, leafy greens, etc.), I didn't have room for much else!

I'll have to check & see how many servings I had of beans/protein. I don't think it was very many, and I think at least one of mine was always nuts.
#5 Old 07-03-2004, 05:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you tried using a digestive aid like beano for the beans? Also, I find that rinsing my canned beans really really well makes a difference in how well I digest them. Sometimes they take a while to get used to, too, if you haven't eaten them much in the past.
#6 Old 07-03-2004, 07:37 AM
Banned

Eat whole wheat tortillas, pita, and bread for protein and also brown rice and whole wheat pasta.
#7 Old 07-03-2004, 07:41 AM
Banned

Also, if beans are upsetting your stomach, try to eat nuts and nut butters for protein. I always put walnuts in my oatmeal and then there's many recipes that contain different types of nuts for lunch and dinner entrees.

Also, give it time. Sometimes your body needs to adjust to the new foods you are eating.
#8 Old 07-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

i tried to register at fitday.com but the name bizarro is already taken, LOL! thanks for the link. thats very useful!

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#9 Old 07-04-2004, 05:23 PM

Wow. Those coloumns would intimidate me. maybe you should just keep it simple, like vb style. But a notebook and write each day:

B

L

D

S

i dont know. forget it. im *****y.

~Glamboy
#10 Old 07-06-2004, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

You're welcome Let me know if you have any more problems with it; I've run into a couple of weird quirks over the past year that I semi-successfully troubleshot.

Terra
#11 Old 07-06-2004, 09:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGoat View Post

Have you tried using a digestive aid like beano for the beans? Also, I find that rinsing my canned beans really really well makes a difference in how well I digest them. Sometimes they take a while to get used to, too, if you haven't eaten them much in the past.

bean-o contains gelatin (at least, the last time i checked, it did).

udo erasmus (of "udo's oils") makes a completely vegan enzyme mixture that is supposed to help with the digestion of beans and legumes.
#12 Old 07-06-2004, 12:37 PM
Veggie Regular

thanks for the info kreeli!

OP~sometimes poor digestion is caused by a magnesium deficiency. you probably need to take a calcium supplement with magnesium and vit D2 in addition to a daily multiple/mineral.

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#13 Old 07-06-2004, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular

That's why I said "like Beano"...but I realize it wasn't clear.

Every HFS seems to have some sort of vegan beano.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page