could i be allergic to tofutti cream cheese? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-29-2004, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

A week and a half or two weeks ago I found Tofutti cream cheese at the grocery store. I bought it and have eaten half the tub.

Incidentally a week or a week and a half ago or so I started getting an itchy rash on my hands- little white bumps that turn red after I scratch them. It started on one hand, and has now spread to the other. I thought it was a heat rash, but the spreading makes me think maybe it's an allergy instead. Tofutti is the only "different" thing about my life that I can think of.

Is there anything in Tofutti that i might be allergic to? I am discontinuing eating it for now to see if the rash goes away. I will not get allergy tests as I am a medical-phobe; I am just wondering if anyone knows if there are allergens in Tofutti that might be causing this.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-29-2004, 09:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Soy, which is in tofu, is a common allergen. Do you eat other products with soy in them?
#3 Old 06-29-2004, 09:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm... I just read the ingredient list. Nothing seemed strange to me. Do you normally eat stuff that has soy protein isolates in it? Some people don't like those things and say they can cause reactions? I'm pretty sure you eat other soy stuff, so I don't think it's that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-29-2004, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Some. I have never broken out like this after eating a soy dog or soy milk (I consume soymilk nearly daily)
#5 Old 06-29-2004, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Hm, then it probably isn't the soy. I guess I wouldn't rule it out, though.
#6 Old 06-29-2004, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok. Let's see. There are various versions of soy. And maltodextrin is a form of sugar. A bunch of gums, locust bean, guar & carageenan which are very common binding agents. There are mono & veggie diglycerides which are in tons of things.

The only suspect ingredients are the non-dairy lactic acid and the potassium sorbate. Who knows what the nondairy stuff is from. But the potassium sorbate, while a common preservative, has scary warnings about it online. Here's a basic safety page about PS.
#7 Old 06-29-2004, 09:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I am trying to think of different things I started eating or wearing around the same time.... argh.
#8 Old 06-29-2004, 09:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rincaro View Post

Ok. Let's see. There are various versions of soy. And maltodextrin is a form of sugar. A bunch of gums, locust bean, guar & carageenan which are very common binding agents. There are mono & veggie diglycerides which are in tons of things.

The only suspect ingredients are the non-dairy lactic acid and the potassium sorbate. Who knows what the nondairy stuff is from. But the potassium sorbate, while a common preservative, has scary warnings about it online. Here's a basic safety page about PS.

And that stuff is all in tofutti?
#9 Old 06-29-2004, 09:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Yep. I have a tub of it right in front of me. Actually the part I like the least is the hydrogenated soy bean oil. I'm trying to eliminate those from my family's diet.
#10 Old 06-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Well I will refrain from it for a bit and see what happens. I hope I am not allergic to it because I was really excited to have an alternative to cream cheese.
#11 Old 06-29-2004, 10:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Me too. I've tried some mock cream cheese recipes and they always suck.
#12 Old 06-29-2004, 10:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Does tofutti use genetically modified soybeans? There is a much higher incidence of soy sensitivities to GM soybeans, and even people who are fine with organic/non-GM soy can get reactions to it.
#13 Old 06-29-2004, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Is tofutti cream cheese good?
#14 Old 06-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

yes very good, except for it might have given me this darn rash!
#15 Old 06-29-2004, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular

it is delicious. but i think i did read that they use gmo soybeans.
#16 Old 06-29-2004, 11:40 AM
Rie
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Yep. I have a tub of it right in front of me. Actually the part I like the least is the hydrogenated soy bean oil. I'm trying to eliminate those from my family's diet.

My whole foods stocks tofutti without hydrogenated oil. I think they're fazing out the kind you have?
#17 Old 06-29-2004, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The only suspect ingredients are the non-dairy lactic acid and the potassium sorbate. Who knows what the nondairy stuff is from.

i think (?) that non-dairy lactic acid is usually derived from beets-- that is at least what i have seen on a lot of vegan products.
#18 Old 06-29-2004, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Meatless, I had the same problem with soy products; not long after I'd eaten something soy-based, I'd get these weird little bumps (and they itched like CRAZY!) that started off looking like blisters but turned into red dots. The rash spread quickly, too; at its worst, I had clusters of bumps along fingers on both hands, spots on top of my hands, on my lips and and a big patch of 'em on my left arm. It completely freaked me out because I hadn't come in contact with anything new, and yet the rash wouldn't stop spreading. One doctor didn't know what it was, but ended up giving me a couple of steroid injections over a short period of time; another doctor couldn't figure it out, either, but scared the crap out of me by saying it could be a potentially disabling skin problem and sending me on my way.

Anyway, I ended up tossing my soy products. It sucked mightily, but in the end it was the only way I was able to go rash-free.

I hope things clear up for you, soon. Keep us posted.
#19 Old 06-29-2004, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

That doesn't sound very pleasant entresol.

Fortunately I have thought of one other new product that came into my life around the right time to cause this. A new kind of soap. One of my co-workers gave me a fancy bar of olive oil soap from Greece, which I started using about a week and a half ago. I am starting to suspect that may be the culprit. Since I have never had problems with soy before, I am inclined to think it may just be this soap!
#20 Old 06-29-2004, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I really hope it's the soap, Meatless, and not what you've been eating. Good luck!
#21 Old 06-30-2004, 07:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Me too.... I have 1.5 containers of Tofutti in my fridge and I wanna eat it!
#22 Old 06-30-2004, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular

one thing i was surprised to learn a while back was that you can develop allergies/food intolerances/sensitivities to things that you've been using your whole life, just out of the blue. so even if you'd been eating soy with no problems for years and years, you could still get sick from it suddenly. from what i understand those kinds of allergies/sensitivities spring up when your immune system is feeling overwhelmed, often by unrelated stuff, but sometimes because you've been consuming too much of whatever it is that's made you sick.

it does sound to me, though, like it's a "surface" allergy, meatless. if you've been having other symptoms like runny nose, mood swings, headaches, flushed skin, digestive upset, then i'd think that it had something to do with your diet. i'm not an expert, though! that's just my uneducated opinion. i hope it is just that soap you tried...are you normally sensitive to fragrances, etc?
#23 Old 06-30-2004, 07:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

it does sound to me, though, like it's a "surface" allergy, meatless. if you've been having other symptoms like runny nose, mood swings, headaches, flushed skin, digestive upset, then i'd think that it had something to do with your diet. i'm not an expert, though! that's just my uneducated opinion. i hope it is just that soap you tried...are you normally sensitive to fragrances, etc?

It's certainly possible that it's the soap, but I get rashes as a result of many of my food allergies. It doesn't matter whether or not the allergen has been actually applied to the skin.
#24 Old 06-30-2004, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I will get a rash all over me if I change to a non hypoallergenic detergent, something scented and so forth. But! I can use Gain. odd. "regular" deodorant will also cause a rash also.

Has any of these changed for you?
#25 Old 06-30-2004, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckThatWasn't View Post

It's certainly possible that it's the soap, but I get rashes as a result of many of my food allergies. It doesn't matter whether or not the allergen has been actually applied to the skin.

oh, okay. is it just rash, then? or do you also get other symptoms along with it?
#26 Old 06-30-2004, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreeli View Post

oh, okay. is it just rash, then? or do you also get other symptoms along with it?

It depends on the food. Most of them just cause moderate to severe itching that lasts for two or three days. But with nuts, peanuts, or seafood, I risk asphyxiating, so I don't think there's any rash in that case. I guess that there may be other symptoms, but I'm not really aware of them. Basically, it's entirely possible to have a completely "surface" reaction to food.

Meatless--are you still drinking soymilk daily? I wonder whether Kreeli is right, and you've just recently developed a soy allergy.
#27 Old 06-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah I've found whole foods in my area to carry the non hydrogenated versions which I like less then the other versions unfortunetly.

I'm allergic to a lot of what I eat, but I don't have to much choice since rice products are more expensive etc.

Something my doctor told me, ( and she integrates eastern philosphies into her western practice, god I love the woman ) is that you can phase out for a week or two the things you might be allergic to, and slowly add them into your diet individually to see the cause of reaction...
#28 Old 06-30-2004, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiccanveg View Post

Something my doctor told me, ( and she integrates eastern philosphies into her western practice, god I love the woman ) is that you can phase out for a week or two the things you might be allergic to, and slowly add them into your diet individually to see the cause of reaction...

Doing that makes things much, much worse for me. It's like I've lost whatever tolerance I'd built up. I've stopped eating everything I'm allergic to as a result. What are you finding in rice products that is so expensive? Certainly, rice cheese/butter/ice cream can be pricey, but those aren't important parts of a person's diet. Rice itself is very cheap.

ETA: Have you found rice cheese/butter without casein or soy?
#29 Old 06-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah it's just a rash for me. I have discontinued using the soap. No other symptoms. I am guessing it might take a few days to clear up?
#30 Old 06-30-2004, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatless View Post

Yeah it's just a rash for me. I have discontinued using the soap. No other symptoms. I am guessing it might take a few days to clear up?

takes 3 to 5 days on me, according to what was in it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page