High-Calorie Foods - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-23-2004, 05:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Crap. I guess my doctor went over it with some other doctors and basically I'm being hospitalized if I lose a single ounce more, I can't go exercise... I feel trapped, because if I eat, my metabolism goes up, but theres no way I can fit enough in my body to keep a steady weight. What are some good, vegan high-calorie foods? And any idea how much I'd need to eat to not lose weight, but not gain weight either, with no exercise? They already said I shouldn't be going to the Tufts Veterinary program I had planned to go to at the end of July... That was what I was hoping would give me that little advantage in getting into Tufts. Apparently they think I'm about to have a heart attack, I have go to back to them tomorrow for more tests.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-23-2004, 05:38 PM
Veggie Regular

oil, any nut butters are very high calorie and GOOD fat. you CAN maintain your weight and not lose or gain with the proper amount of calories. avocados are also high calorie/fat. think pasta with lots of veggies and olive oil based sauce. or add olive oil to marinara. garlic bread with lots of earth balance or olive oil. make a smoothie with frozen fruit, soymilk and a couple of tablespoons of a nut butter!! all good and good for you!!
#3 Old 06-23-2004, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

i just read that for weight maintenance you need 15-16 calories per pound of body weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Click, eat nuts!

I am not done with my ED yet but I found that eating plenty nuts keeps me strong and ....well.... lean.
#5 Old 06-23-2004, 05:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Avocados! Yum yum yum! Guacamole and chips is yumtastic, so is just eating an avocado, or putting it in salad, or drizzling it with olive oil and a little balsamic vinegar.

Dark chocolate, perhaps? Granola.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 06-23-2004, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemouse View Post

Click, eat nuts!

I am not done with my ED yet but I found that eating plenty nuts keeps me strong and ....well.... lean.

YESSSS yes to both strong and lean!! there are so many nut butters out there that are purely decadent--you are cheating yourself if you have not had almond butter or cashew macadamia nut butter!!!
#7 Old 06-23-2004, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Like smedley says, nuts and oils. And clickie - Just so you don't get scared off - your stomach is not used to getting food in it. At first it'll be going "WTF IS GOING ON?!" but you will get used to it. And you are correct - as you eat, your metabolism WILL increase - it's like a fire. The more fuel you give it, the higher it burns.

And as Krista has said before - it's easier if you drink your calories - juices, soy milk, etc. And I know you like pastas, so, like smedley said, you could add your healthy fats too your sauces.
#8 Old 06-23-2004, 05:52 PM

Nuts, avocado, coconut, coconut milk, white rice, white bread, margarine, any oils, eggs, full fat milk.

I was near a heart attack and started having murmurs whereby my heart would stop beating for 1-2 sec at a time. You MUST eat. Push aside the ED and just EAT. Worry about the feelings of being fat later. Right now, EAT. You can do it and you WILL do it.
#9 Old 06-23-2004, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Make yourself a smoothie with full-fat silken tofu, a banana, berries, nut butter, and some coconut milk or fruit juice. Healthy and it can pack a calorie punch.
#10 Old 06-23-2004, 06:03 PM
Veggie Regular

kristadb--why arent you suggesting whole grain food as opposed to white flour foods?

sorry--off topic!!

also dark chocolate has lots of calories and fat and you can add it to quick breads, oatmeal and whatever else!!
#11 Old 06-23-2004, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

Nuts, avocado, coconut, coconut milk, white rice, white bread, margarine, any oils, eggs, full fat milk.

I was near a heart attack and started having murmurs whereby my heart would stop beating for 1-2 sec at a time. You MUST eat. Push aside the ED and just EAT. Worry about the feelings of being fat later. Right now, EAT. You can do it and you WILL do it.

Well, some of that stuff is out of the question, not vegan... But, yeah, I'm trying to. I want to lose weight, but I want to stay out of the hospital, so... I ate until I felt like I was going to explode, the most I've eaten in months, like 1300 calories today. The urge to restrict tomorrow and go out for a ride first thing in the morning is biiiig.
#12 Old 06-23-2004, 06:30 PM

white = more calories for less fibre

clickman, push that aside. eat. worry about the other stuff later.
#13 Old 06-23-2004, 07:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedley View Post

i just read that for weight maintenance you need 15-16 calories per pound of body weight.

well...if it's any consolation, i don't think i'd go by that because i know that i definately need a lot more than that to maintain my weight, like probably 500 calories or so more, and i'm currently recovering from an eating disorder myself! and i know guys usually have to eat even more calories than girls do to maintain their weight!

click...didn't your doctor give you any idea as to what you should eat to maintain your weight? you should ask him/her...aren't they going to help you even if you don't lose anymore weight??
#14 Old 06-23-2004, 07:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post

Well, some of that stuff is out of the question, not vegan... But, yeah, I'm trying to. I want to lose weight, but I want to stay out of the hospital, so... I ate until I felt like I was going to explode, the most I've eaten in months, like 1300 calories today. The urge to restrict tomorrow and go out for a ride first thing in the morning is biiiig.

I can guarantee you that 1300 calories is not going to maintain your weight...but it's you decision in the end and I know it's not easy to just eat more!
#15 Old 06-24-2004, 12:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Soy Cream.
#16 Old 06-24-2004, 04:54 AM
Veggie Regular

No, my doctors haven't been helpful at all. After dealing with them yesterday, it actually has made me want to go to inpatient, but, I can't, because I need to be home to care for my reptiles. Haven't told me how much I should be eating or anything... And my parents are constantly harrassing me, "What did you eat?", "Why don't you go eat?", etc. And it'll still be a while before I can get into a day program... All that food yesterday made me feel sick last night and this morning. They're forcing me to eat breakfast this morning, I just want to die now...
#17 Old 06-24-2004, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

homemade 'sweet' breads, like banana breads, applesauce bread etc are pretty calorie dense (and delicious) and you can make them vegan.
#18 Old 06-24-2004, 07:09 AM

Peanut butter smoothie! I normally use:

Peanut butter

Honey

Milk (if you are vegan use soy!)

Ice

Banana

Strawberries (sometimes)

Good luck!
#19 Old 06-24-2004, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular

clickman, I believe your life/health is more important than your reptiles. If you need inpatient therapy, give your parents a book entitled "How to Care for Reptiles" and ask them to help you out.

You need to eat and you probably need to gain weight, too, not just maintain your ED weight. At first your body is going to feel very strange getting used to eating again, and you might even have trouble keeping food down, but you have to keep trying. Your LIFE is more important than your body image, please, please, remember that. Your life is also more important than veganism, although you can certainly recover and remain vegan.

Anyway, some high calorie foods I suggest would be vegan chocolate bars/donuts/candies, in addition to making some high cal muffins- just use egg replacer or flaxseed to bind, soymilk, and then fill them full of goodies, like nuts or even chocolate chips...or better YET, chocolate chips AND nuts! You could do the same thing with cookies, though I am partial to the muffin, myself. Eat avocados, use olive oil, get some nuts on hand- almonds, cashews, peanuts....trail mixes are good, too. Try to use coconut or coconut milk in your recipes and eat some nut butters as well. At a certain point you are going to have to eat some serious good food to help your body recover, and I believe you can do it.

lovenlight,

Linz
#20 Old 06-24-2004, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No, my doctors haven't been helpful at all. After dealing with them yesterday, it actually has made me want to go to inpatient, but, I can't, because I need to be home to care for my reptiles.

The USA Herp Sitters list... a community of people who volunteer to watch other people's reptiles...

http://www.icomm.ca/dragon/sitter.htm
#21 Old 06-24-2004, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

No, my doctors haven't been helpful at all. After dealing with them yesterday, it actually has made me want to go to inpatient, but, I can't, because I need to be home to care for my reptiles. Haven't told me how much I should be eating or anything... And my parents are constantly harrassing me, "What did you eat?", "Why don't you go eat?", etc. And it'll still be a while before I can get into a day program... All that food yesterday made me feel sick last night and this morning. They're forcing me to eat breakfast this morning, I just want to die now...

They probably WON'T give you a specific calorie count, because most ED people become obsessed with numbers and calories. My nutritionists used exchanges for food groups. And BTW - even at outpatient, I doubt the staff will let you stay vegan, and probably not even vegetarian, because, as you know, many people with EDs become veg*n for the sole purpose of avoiding food. Even if that's not you, they make sure it's not. JavaPrincess I'm sure would be sympathetic if you PMed her or something.
#22 Old 06-25-2004, 06:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Through my experience with ED and learning to let go and not restrict what I eat, I have found that if you don't frequent fried foods, drink soda, binge on desserts/cookies more than once or twice a week, you can really eat all and what you want (key is: 'til you are full) and still not gain/lose weight!

Of course if you are really underweight to begin with, you will gain some weight initially, but it will eventually stablize until your ideal body weight and just stay there! that's the natural advantage of being a veggie I guess.
#23 Old 06-25-2004, 08:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissy View Post

many people with EDs become veg*n for the sole purpose of avoiding food.

Totally. I used to go to all of the pro anorexic websites before I was admitted to a hospital, and one of them said go vegan, becuase it limits your food choices. I was vegan before that though.
#24 Old 06-29-2004, 11:59 PM

Even though you do want to be a vegan, your overall health is far more important. If you don't think that at this time in your life you can take on veganism you may want to switch back to lacto-ovo-vegetarianism at least till you can achieve a healthy weight, and perhaps learn enough about nutrition to achieve a preferable weight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page