Cramps! :-( - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-21-2004, 06:50 PM

Posted this is Teen also...

You guys, I need help! I've been having the most awful cramps for the past two hours. I've tried everything- motrin, hot bath, heating pad, walking around, lying down, eating... nothing is helping! They are so bad they're making me feel nauseous. I normally have pretty bad cramps, but these are the worst I've ever had. What can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-21-2004, 06:53 PM
Banned

Are you wearing a tampon? If so, take it out. I've heard that tampons cause worse cramping.

I had really bad ones once, too, so bad that I cried. I believe I had to wait it out and took some type of Midol. Maybe Midol would work better than Motrin?

Good luck.
#3 Old 06-21-2004, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to get cramps so bad I couldn't walk. I used to take either 3 advil every 3 hrs, or 2 advil, wait two hours, 1 advil, wait two hours 2 advil. Didn't solve the problem, but I could then walk. I'm not necessarily suggesting you do this because it can be bad for your stomach/liver, but I did it for many years and didn't suffer any long term effects. Probably taking one more motrin isn't going to hurt you, and may help. Another one thats supposed to work is Aleve. Didn't for me, but it does for some. Other than the analgesic, curling up in a fetal position with a heating pad is the only thing that helped at all. I've heard that orgasm can help relieve cramping, you can take that information where you like.. Since I went on birth control (because my periods were so bad), I've not needed more than two advil once for my period. Its amazing. Try to stay relaxed too. Being tense only makes it worse.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-21-2004, 07:20 PM

Thanks girls. It helps just to know other people are going through it too. I have been wearing tampons all day, so I'll go switch. Ugh, I hate pads. Oh well, anything's better than these cramps. I almost threw up about 20 minutes ago...

I'll have to go get some Midol, too. Thanks girls.
#5 Old 06-21-2004, 07:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Midol is Advil + A Diuretic + Caffeine

Those other things aren't going to make your cramps better, and really aren't healthy for you to take. Stick to Motrin or Advil or Aleve. (Tylenol, however, isn't a good antiinflammatory for cramps)

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 06-21-2004, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

aww hun, you're really desperate, aren't you? posting in three different forums and all...

I have no advice other than trying to get some sleep. But I will give youthis:

I HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER AND FIND SOMETHING TO RELIEVE YOUR CRAMPS IN THE FUTURE!!!!!
#7 Old 06-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Veggie Regular

you might find some other suggestions in the women's health forum in past threads. i know you probably don't feel like it, but excercise is supposed to help with cramps. try doing some stretches at least. leg raises are pretty easy and might be most helpful, just lie on your back and raise one leg up a bit, hold, put it down. do the other. then lift one as high as you can, hold, stretch your arms up and try to reach your toes, switch legs, etc. pretty much goof-proof and might help a little. also complex carbs supposedly help, whole wheat bagel for example.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#8 Old 06-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe you're dehydrated? I know when I've had really bad cramps in the past and felt nauseous it helped a lot once I started to get some water down. Some extra calcium might help, too. Drink some fortified soymilk (or regular milk if you drink that) to get some fluids and some calcium in. Eating a little might help, too.

Take a hot bath/shower, try to relax. Lie down with a heating pad on. Breathe slow and deep. They will pass. It just sucks right now until they do.
#9 Old 06-21-2004, 09:24 PM
Veggie Regular

If you eat dairy, stop. Obviously, it won't help you this month, but when I quit dairy, the mind numbing cramps I had every month for 18 years disappeared. Also, if you smoke cigarettes, quit. Anything that builds up mucous in your body has the potential to worsen menstrual cramping.
#10 Old 06-21-2004, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

caffine will make cramps worse. Midol always makes my cramps worse because of the caffine in it. If I stop drinking any caffine about a week before my period my cramps are much much better. It won't help as much, but if you stop now it should help a little.
#11 Old 06-22-2004, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Two words - Motrin or Aleve. Does the trick every time for me . If not, I agree - try laying in the fetal position. This subsides the pain a little, for some reason. Also, something like a ww bagel helps as well (that is, if you can stomach it). Sometimes when I get cramps this bad, I'm too nauseous to even think about food.
#12 Old 06-22-2004, 09:30 AM

Ditto to what others have said about exercise, ditching caffeine, and especially getting lots of water.

Valerian root works well for me too. It acts as a muscle relaxant and so the cramps are not as severe.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#13 Old 06-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Masturbate. Seriously. It will help at least temporarily. I used to get cramps so bad I'd nearly pass out and this helped a bit (not for very long though).

I also second the Midol and Aleve suggestions. Apparently they block the production of prostaglandins which cause cramps. I hope you feel better. I know how bad cramps suck.

(I agree with the dairy suggestion as well - my cramps have decreased by a non-negligible amount since I became vegan.)
#14 Old 06-22-2004, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Try getting your mind off them if you can, curl up in the fetal position with your heating pad and a good snack and watch some junky tv shows.
#15 Old 06-22-2004, 02:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Aleve. That's the only thing that does it for me.

It depends on what you're eating also. I found that when we got Microwave Popcorn for the office, and I'd eat it almost everyday, my mind-numbing cramps would put me on the floor. I quit eating that stuff and they're much better. The chemicals that make up the butter flavor was the problem (I think), but I quit eating any packaged foods like that, and its MUCH better. See what you're eating during the month, check the ingredients and stop eating anything that has high chemical/processed content. That stuff's just plain bad on your system anyway.
#16 Old 06-22-2004, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelOfDance View Post

aww hun, you're really desperate, aren't you? posting in three different forums and all...

I have no advice other than trying to get some sleep. But I will give youthis:

I HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER AND FIND SOMETHING TO RELIEVE YOUR CRAMPS IN THE FUTURE!!!!!

*perks up as if on cue*

Relieve your cramps? I've got just the thing.

Catnip.

Catnip herb is a WONDERFUL cramp reliever, take it from me. I had cramps so bad that I would almost pass out from them. If I wasn't wanting to passing out, I was wanting to throw up. Some days, it was all I could do to keep from reaching inside of me and physically ripping out all of my feminine plumbing so I could toss it out the window, it was *that* bad.

Then a friend turned me on to catnip herb and I've been cramp-free ever since.

Sure, the stuff is hard to find and it takes about a month of steady doses before it starts working, but once it does... oh, man! Relief!

If you're against taking the caps (cause of the gelatin), then go with the tea and do maybe 2-3 teacups per day (I don't remember the exact dosage, sorry).

Whatever the dose, it's worth it because no one should have to endure cramps.
#17 Old 06-22-2004, 10:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Painkillers have never relieved my cramps. The only thing that seems to work is Pamprin, but I think that's just because it puts me to sleep, so then I pass out for awhile and forget about the cramps.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page