treats? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 04-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Lipo.........

if I had the money, would i do it.........?

I've decided the best thing for me is to avoid all treats unless they are single snack sized, or homemade- making them treaty tasting, but healthy, and giving my Mom and sister a chance to get in on it, too. Until I learn to have some respect for food, I've got to really limit my consumption so I don't get out of control.

lovenlight,

linz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 04-19-2003, 02:12 AM

Daily I get a ABC cookie which is not bad. They are pretty natural (no artificial crap) and taste great. I eat the flavors without nuts such as my favorite pumpkin spice.

I also eat raisins, fruit, a fig based protein bar or date rolls daily but those count as a fruit/veggie serving and not an actual treat. They just feel that way.

I used to be really over weight...all my life. Now instead of eating a box of cookies eating one a day is not bad. With excersise and a balanced diet a ABC cookie does not make me fat but help keeps me fit!

Ohh and blueberry brownies pass on the recipe! I love blueberries!
#33 Old 04-19-2003, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm thinking maybe I need to say no treats for awhile, until I learn to gain some kind of respect, some sort of balance with my food habits. I've always had the tendancy to binge and its just easier to do that with treats- and more detrimental to my body. For a long time I was doing really well, but over spring break I started slipping. I better get serious again, take all the joy out of food, lol.

Lovenlight,

linz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 04-19-2003, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't get a sweet tooth because I eat *tons* of fruit and that seems to satiate my sugar cravings. I think I can get out of hand though, around a certain time of the month Then I will get major cravings for salt and sugar. If I give in, I'm through! There will be no stopping me! If I'm good and realize it's a craving and not a need, I can usually satisfy it with fruit and stay away from excess salt.

Otherwise I don't crave junk foods, generally.
#35 Old 04-19-2003, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I have treats a few times a week. It's kinda strange but lately I've been craving "good" foods like hummus more than sweet or greasy stuff.
#36 Old 04-21-2003, 04:45 PM

my treats come in the form of dried figs and dates. i eat them whenever i feel like it, and it's usually in large quantities (like, the whole pack?!) lately it's been an everyday affair. i don't know if they are good or bad for me; they are just so yummy. anyone has any idea?
#37 Old 08-10-2003, 02:26 AM
Veggie Regular

about once a day

usually either coffee, chocolate stuff, milkshakes, icecream or yoghurt with insane amounts of honey.
#38 Old 08-10-2003, 03:04 AM

Ahhhhh, my ultimate weakness is french fries!!! I cannot resist salty pototoes! I turn into the cookie monster except with fries instead. Give me salty over sweet anyday. I try really hard to not have them more than once a week, but, I am not always that strong. I do have a few sweet weaknesses tho. A vegetarian rest. in my town makes vegan Tres Leches cake, and that with Tofutti's vanilla almond bark is YUMMY! Hey, this is making me very hungry...
#39 Old 08-10-2003, 06:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by kpickell

once you pop you just can't stop.. I can't. I open a bag of chips and their gone. Cookies, gone. Gone gone.

Oh, I can SO relate! I ate almost a whole bag of ginger snaps the other day! They were organic, though... So, that must count for something!!

I definitely believe it's good to treat yourself once and a while. (i.e., EVERY day ) There's tons of goodies you can make that are healthy! I made some blueberry muffins today with whole wheat flour... chock full of fiber!! The other day, I made a pumpkin 'cheesecake' using tofu and Tofutti cream chesse, and I felt good about it! Pumpkin IS a vegetable, and we all know how great tofu is! And if you can't make something homemade, one serving of processed junk a day will NOT hurt you! Don't worry about it.
#40 Old 08-10-2003, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

this is a funny time for this thread to reappear, as I just got back from vacation and there isn't anything but crap in the house. This morning I ate a regular WHITE bagel with bad (hydrogenated oil) peanut butter and sugariffic jelly! HOW AWFUL IS THAT?! At least its early so I still am going to work out and all that. I wouldn't fret normally, but I ate some garbage on vacation (although I will say, I did pretty good for traveling with 4 junk food junkies!

I can't wait to get to the grocery store. Health food and the healthy feeling they give me....I am soo looking forward to cleaning up my diet again. And I have found that Luna bars will generally settle any cravings I have for chocolate or sweets....

linz
#41 Old 08-10-2003, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I really believe that attempting to limit oneself leads to splurges and binges. I came close to having (or really had, probably) an (over)eating disorder as a teen ... when I said "f**k it, I'm eating what I want when I want, and if I gain 100 pounds, so be it," then I became -- without ever trying or thinking about it -- quite slender. Weird psychological stuff -- I was "pigging out" in my own mind (and not even making healthy choices, we're talking pasta with alfredo on a regular basis here), but when I look back it seems in reality that I was eating quite reasonably. (At least calorie-wise.) Without noticing or realizing the change, I left food on my plate instead of cramming it all in. All because I gave myself TOTAL permission to NEVER think or care about dieting. I guess it was a sort of lying to myself, a little trick ... like faking a good mood and then finding that you're actually in a good mood!

Whatever, it worked, and works. I think that the best way to let go of food issues is to REALLY LET GO of food issues. Shut the mind out and let the body take over.

With regard to veganism, it's so hard for me to believe that ANY "treat" could be really, really awful. As a vegan you're already eating SO much healthier than 90% of the first-world population -- without even trying. So if you want a "treat," HAVE it. If you want 20 treats, HAVE them.

I know this sounds "simplistic," but this has been my experience. My friends couldn't get over my "high metabolism," but I really believe that it's largely a state of mind. The only "diet" that has ever worked for me is the "Screw-Dieting Diet."
#42 Old 08-10-2003, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Oooo. I ate a whole bag of chips over two days!!! Ahhh!
#43 Old 08-10-2003, 07:11 PM
Veggie Regular

"I really believe that attempting to limit oneself leads to splurges and binges."

WORD!!!

I ate a whole box of froot loops one night, and 6 poptarts.
#44 Old 08-10-2003, 07:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat treats depending on whats in the house and what my belly is doing. I have a lot of difficulty getting "real" food into it a lot of the time, so I'll go a long time without any sweets, then when it's feeling better, I'll eat too many... make up for lost time maybe? I've had homemade biscotti around, and thats deadly... but so good! Today I had 2 pieces of biscotti and a bag of frozen grapes and berries, and some mixed nuts... though i guess the latter two had more nutritional value! I'm a cookie fiend so I just try not to keep them around. I also love ice cream, and I have 98% fat free ice cream in the freezer for when i need it. Hehe. Also a pudding fiend, so I buy fat free pudding and fat free cool whip... so really it's not THAT bad.

I also use granola bars and luna bars as treats at work...

Okay, that doesn't all sound as bad as I make it out to be. lol. I'm housesitting all this week (andnext) which usually lends itself to convenience foods, but I plan on going down the street to the fruit/veggie store and get a bunch of fruit and make myself a big fruit salad and eat that all week.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#45 Old 08-10-2003, 08:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by sunnyk

With regard to veganism, it's so hard for me to believe that ANY "treat" could be really, really awful. As a vegan you're already eating SO much healthier than 90% of the first-world population -- without even trying. So if you want a "treat," HAVE it. If you want 20 treats, HAVE them.

I have to agree with this. I try to make healthier decisions but dammit, if I wanna go out and get an ice cream sunday i don't go beating myself up over it. Most of my meals are rather low fat and high fiber so I can't imagine treats on a regular basis are going to turn me into a fast food meat eatin' blob like person.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#46 Old 08-10-2003, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm a sucker for low fat/ fat free treats..ice cream, pudding, muffins, fruit snacks, granola + cereal bars...I know these are nutritional fluff and usually have just as much sugar as full fat treats, but I dont feel bad when I eat the healthier versions...But balance is the thing..as long as I stuff in fruits, veggies, and protein sources, I feel like I'm intitled to something yummy.
#47 Old 08-11-2003, 03:24 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I treat myself almost every day.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#48 Old 08-11-2003, 07:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Every day is a treat day for me. Every meal is worthy of being a treat. I believe that one of the few good things that money can buy is a cold beer and a hot pizza. I tested my theory out last night, and it happens to be true. (Although i'd bought a warm beer and put it in the fridge beforehand.)

Treat yourself daily. My philosophy is not "Eat to live" It is "Live to Eat" and my philosophy is also "I eat, therefore I am" And I still manage to weigh only 70 kilos. I need to put weight on, and if i treat myself daily, at least i can say i tried!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page