My hands feel like they are on fire - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-12-2004, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm guessing because I sliced some hot peppers and didn't wash my hands right away afterwards. That's the only thing that I can think of. Is there anything that I can do to make it stop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-12-2004, 04:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, thats so wierd! Did you try icewater?
#3 Old 06-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh yeah. My hands are even wrinkled from it a little. They are sort of getting dry too, so I'll probably go try some lotion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-13-2004, 12:02 AM
Veggie Regular

The hot stuff in peppers and chillies isn't soluble in water but it is fat soluble. That's why hot Indian food is traditionally served with a yoghurt based drink. For your hands I would've thought soap should work but if not try whole milk.

Certainly, water by itself will have no effect.
#5 Old 06-13-2004, 07:55 AM
Veggie Regular

chook- Thanks for the info. Maybe I didn't use enough soap or something.

Regardless, they are feeling better today!
#6 Old 06-13-2004, 08:07 AM
Banned

I always wear disposable gloves when I cut items such as that and also garlic and yellow onions, as they leave a smell on the hands that just doesn't go away.
#7 Old 06-13-2004, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Hmmm... do you have milk in the house? I always used to drink milk when I got something too hot in my mouth. If you "bathed" your hands in milk or yogurt it might help.
#8 Old 06-13-2004, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I made that mistake once... I had to just wait it out, wasn't fun.
#9 Old 06-13-2004, 08:52 AM
Banned

I definitely would not advocate the purchase of cow's milk to solve the problem.
#10 Old 06-13-2004, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichoke47 View Post

I definitely would not advocate the purchase of cow's milk to solve the problem.

Me either. We're not vegan yet, but we're working on it, but we don't have it in the house either. But alot of folks here are either lacto-ovo or have omni family in the house. I thought if there is pain in the hands, it might work.
#11 Old 06-13-2004, 09:05 AM
Banned

Oh, I just assumed since he was a vegan that he wouldn't have any.

You're right.
#12 Old 06-13-2004, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Actually, I'm a she, and I'm the only vegan in the house, so we do have milk. Thanks for the tips. Gloves sound like a good idea next time! I do hate that garlic/onion smell that lingers also.
#13 Old 06-13-2004, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

ok this may sound gross, but what I do if this happens is I take some soy "butter".. like a tablespoon and I rub it into my hands... it is soothing and melts sort of then I rinse them in warm water to melt the "butter", I then was my hands in warm water with soap.
#14 Old 06-13-2004, 01:34 PM
Veggie Regular

To get rid of the garlic/onion smell on hands, just wet your hands, pour a bit of baking soda in (about .5 to 1 tsp), rub your hands together, and rinse. Odor should be all gone

Doesn't really help the pepper problem though!
#15 Old 06-13-2004, 02:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a story. Once I was cutting hot peppers for chili. I washed my hands and everything seemed fine. Then I went pee. All of a sudden, things started to feel...warm down there.

Then VERY warm.

It really burned for a while...
#16 Old 06-13-2004, 06:56 PM
Veggie Regular

that's really wierd :\\ is that before or after you ate them? just wondering in case it's a food allergy, but if not and your hands didn't come in contact with that area beforehand, i don't get why it would happen. would definately be unpleasant though.

only time i've had a burning feeling there was at the very beginnings of a urinary tract infection (i think) which i stamped out really quick by drinking a buttload of water and juice and eating fruit.

I'm singin' here to get rid of fear
Hope it disappears right here with the rain
But I know life is pain, not like a fairytale
Meaningless to pray, so just goin' on my way
~Miyavi "Torture"
#17 Old 06-14-2004, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

If a person has been cutting hot peppers, the capsasin (sp) will make your hands burn. Me, I've cut peppers so many times I don't notice it but I've had others tell me that they certainly do. If the burning's too bad, then put your hands in icy cold water. Keep your hands submerged until you can't stand the cold anymore, then pull them out and leave them out until you can't stand the heat. It will take about a day or so of doing that for your hands to stop burning. The other thing to do is wear gloves when you cut peppers so that the oils don't react with your skin. As far as washing the oil off, I couldn't tell you because that oil doesn't really bother me.

Capsasin oils are very much like poision ivy oils - they really hang on, no matter what. My sister in law had the same experience that MollyGoat had and yes, getting a bit of that oil down there is something that no one wants to have happen. It's not the sign of a bladder infection, it's the sign that sometimes peeing and wiping after cutting peppers is not a wise thing to do.

For the smell of garlic or onions, rub your hands with something stainless steel. They sell little blocks of stainless steel for anywhere from $7-$15, but anything SS will do. I prefer rubbing my hands with one of my spoons or rubbing my hands on my SS sink but anything stainless will work.
#18 Old 06-14-2004, 11:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeYahMK View Post

My sister in law had the same experience that MollyGoat had and yes, getting a bit of that oil down there is something that no one wants to have happen. It's not the sign of a bladder infection, it's the sign that sometimes peeing and wiping after cutting peppers is not a wise thing to do.

Exactly.

Trust me, I know what a UTI feels like...and I'm not allergic to peppers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page