Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By beegan
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By Tweety
  • 1 Post By LedBoots

#1 Old 09-23-2014, 08:52 PM

b12 Dosage and Daily Needs

I just bought my self b12 from Natural Wealth. It is cyanocobalamin b12. I wanted methylcobalamin b12 but in my country this one is not present.

But my question is why it says on the package to take this pill every day if 1 of the pills have 1000 mcg and daily dosages needed is 2.6 - 4 mcg. And even on the envelope of the product says that 1 tpill contains 4000% RDA, that is 40 times more than needed. So what should I do?
Tiger Lilly likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Oryzatarian

When you take B12 your body actively 'pumps' the needed daily amount into your blood, if theres more then 1-5% of it passively absorbs into your blood. These 4000% strong pills are made because of that, because if someone has a deficiency they will want to rebuild their bodys stores of B12 and it takes that big dose to get enough into the blood.

If your not deficient, your right, you dont need pills that potent. What I do is to powder the 1000 mcg pills and mix with white rice flour and add it like a spice to my food, enough to supply 25 mcg per day (just to be safe). You could also do it with creamer or cinnamon or anything you use daily. Or at least cut the pills into quarters.
#3 Old 09-23-2014, 11:38 PM

I see, what about taking it weekly? Will that work?

And why they put on the envelop to take 1 pill per day. They just want to sell it faster?

I have investigate this a little bit and i realize there are no pills with daily dosage lower than 500 mcg.

1000mcg pills i need to cut to very small pieces to make them 25mcg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-24-2014, 01:04 AM
Oryzatarian

Thats why I powder them

With how limited B12 absorption is, taking one weekly would not reliably supply you with enough.
Fortunately excess B12 intake rarely causes people any problems.
#5 Old 09-24-2014, 04:53 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

"Vitamin B12, bound to protein in food, is released by the activity of hydrochloric acid and gastric protease in the stomach [5]. When synthetic vitamin B12 is added to fortified foods and dietary supplements, it is already in free form and, thus, does not require this separation step. Free vitamin B12 then combines with intrinsic factor, a glycoprotein secreted by the stomach’s parietal cells, and the resulting complex undergoes absorption within the distal ileum by receptor-mediated endocytosis [5,7].

Approximately 56% of a 1 mcg oral dose of vitamin B12 is absorbed, but absorption decreases drastically when the capacity of intrinsic factor is exceeded (at 1–2 mcg of vitamin B12)"
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Vit...hProfessional/
Tom likes this.
#6 Old 09-24-2014, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I take a sublingual dose twice a week. My B12 levels were within normal limits last time it was checked. Orally through the GI tract it is less absorbed. I don't feel the need for a daily dose
#7 Old 09-24-2014, 11:39 PM

My pills are not sublingual, but if i take them in sublingual way, will it have better effect?
#8 Old 09-26-2014, 10:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Not really, research I think is showing both ways are effective. Back in the day it was thought sublingual was better which is when I started using it, but research has proven otherwise.

I see my posted suggested that sublingual was better and didn't mean to confuse. Either way you need the large doses because so little of the pills are absorbed to the point it can be of use.
http://jacknorrisrd.com/sublingual-b...st-swallowing/

Last edited by Tweety; 09-26-2014 at 10:43 AM.
#9 Old 09-26-2014, 12:14 PM
Oryzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
you need the large doses because so little of the pills are absorbed to the point it can be of use
People need the large dose if there is existing deficiency or absorption/metabolism insufficiencies.

If you really want to know what your individual situation is just stop taking B12 for 2 weeks or so (ask your doctor) and then get a blood test done. Then start supplementing again and if in future years you get another blood test you'll have a baseline reading to compare it to.
#10 Old 09-26-2014, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
People need the large dose if there is existing deficiency or absorption/metabolism insufficiencies.

If you really want to know what your individual situation is just stop taking B12 for 2 weeks or so (ask your doctor) and then get a blood test done. Then start supplementing again and if in future years you get another blood test you'll have a baseline reading to compare it to.

What dose to you need when you're just a "normal" person that's a vegan and gets none through diet (I don't eat a lot of foods supplemented with B12)?

My individual situation is this: I don't have a deficiency, nor have ever been diagnosed with a deficiency. I have no baseline lab results. However, supplementing as I stated above. with two large doses twice a week, my blood level is 396. The lab I used states "normal range" of 180-914. Given this information, I don't feel the need to change anything or lower the dose. I don't feel like I'm taking mega doses and feel like I'm doing the right thing.
LedBoots likes this.

Last edited by Tweety; 09-27-2014 at 02:19 AM.
#11 Old 09-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I agree Tweety, it sounds as if it's working well for you, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Tweety likes this.
#12 Old 09-26-2014, 06:08 PM
Oryzatarian

Yeah, theres no known harm to consuming vastly more than the recommended intake (2-7 µg/day depending on the health authority).
It only increases the price of your pee.

Your way seems to be working great for you
#13 Old 09-27-2014, 02:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I would think if I was peeing out so much excess my levels wouldn't be on the lower end of normal but the higher. The dose I take is based on some research I've done, don't remember when or where, but it's been a while. Things change as knowledge grows and I can change and adjust along with it. The higher doses twice a week aren't probably absorbed as well as smaller doses daily, and most of that 1000 mcg aren't absorbed well and I might have to reconsider. But it like was said before..."if it ain't broke....."

(I'm not one that worries so much about daily doses or RDA's of nutrients, but rather getting good nutrition over time since getting 100% of everything daily isn't necessary).
#14 Old 09-27-2014, 08:23 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

The B-12 tablets I have at the moment aren't the sublingual kind, either, although I have taken those in the past. I keep one or two tablets in a cup and eat a bit of a tablet once or twice a day, because each one has so much more than the RDA and I figure I'll absorb the B-12 more efficiently in small doses.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#15 Old 10-17-2014, 01:27 AM

like LedBoots said, b12 absorption is significantly decreased when it is taken out of food like that... maybe thats why thres so much of it in the pill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page