Cravings … anyone had similar experiences? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-07-2014, 08:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Cravings … anyone had similar experiences?

Or rather the lack of cravings now

I went to see a nutritionist a few weeks ago to see if there is anything I'm missing/not doing right regarding my ongoing IBS flare ups (so much better since going veg*n but I would love to be free of it).

A couple of interesting things came out of the appointment:
1. I need to accept that dairy is not my friend.
2. I am not eating enough protein (basically I miscalculated how much exercise I am doing and did not adjust the amount of protein I consume)

There were some other things too but I am currently waiting for my test results.

On the second point she gave me some suggestions on vegan protein powders (hemp, chlorella, spirullina etc.) and instructed me to make lots of green shakes. Which I have done.

After a couple of weeks of daily green shakes (it's my new breakfast) my energy is better, I'm feeling less blood sugary - all very lovely. The interesting side effect has been that my meat cravings have disappeared. I don't cave to meat cravings because it makes me really ill but it reminded me of an important factor. If I listen to my body it often has a point - it might not be making the point very well but it's trying to tell me something and it's up to me to figure out what. Ignoring it won't make it go away. So feeling a bit daft that I did not figure this one out earlier …

Sadly my IBS is still a bit problematic but I'm still happy with the results I've had so far.

Anyone else been to see a nutritionist and had similar experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-07-2014, 08:46 AM

I've been surprised that I've never had any cravings. I became vegetarian three years ago and fully expected to miss meat as I really enjoyed the taste, but didn't. I just stopped eating it and thinking about it at the same time.

Just over a month ago, I became vegan and again expected to miss (you've guessed it) cheese as I ate a lot of it. But no - so far, no cravings or even a mild 'wish this had cheese on it'. In fact, when I had my first cheese less pizza last week, I was surprised at how much like pizza it still tasted - turns out that it is the flavour of the dough and the sauce that does it for me, not so much the cheese.

It has certainly made the changes much easier for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page