"40 year old vegan dies of heart attack" Video, is this legit? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

#1 Old 08-25-2014, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

"40 year old vegan dies of heart attack" Video, is this legit?

Has anybody seen this video?

Guy is kinda annoying, but is what he saying actually true? Or is he just paid by the flaxseed industry to say this stuff? lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-25-2014, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

I'm not wasting an hour and 16 minutes of my life watching that Can you briefly summarize?

#3 Old 08-25-2014, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post
I'm not wasting an hour and 16 minutes of my life watching that Can you briefly summarize?
Let me finish it, almost done.

Edit: The guy says that vegetarians and vegans are more at risk for degenerative brain disease, and have no difference in heart disease/stroke etc than meat eaters according to two/three massive reputable studies that followed a combined 30,000+ vegetarians. They live just as long as meat eaters (not longer), and have twice the hip fracture rate (sign of osteoporosis).

Ok so besides the stuff everybody knows... Like get your B12 or else...

He says you need to Get more Omega-3s (Good), Less Omega-6 (Bad). Avoid coconut oil (has sat fat), get mono-unsaturated fat (Nuts, avocados, olive oil, canola oil). And he also said that you MUST eat something like 1.5 tablespoons of ground flax seeds every single day to get enough Omega-3. All of this for heart disease, low cholesterol diet is not enough.

The Omega-3s give you Docosahexaenoic acid, and Eicosapentaenoic acid.. Which both reduce heart disease risk. He says this is reason 1 why veg*ns do not do as well as they should in studies of heart disease risk. Overall message: Eat alot of flax seed.

Another thing he says is Vegetarians and especially Vegans have higher Homocysteine Levels than meat eaters, which is coorelated with higher risk of stroke, heart attack, and blood clots. To fix this we need to make sure we get enough Vitamin B6, Choline, Folate, and Vitamin B12.

I always thought coconut oil was the best cooking oil, and canola wasn't that good? Guys says it is not true. Guess I was wrong?

Basically I wanna know if I should run out and go buy flaxseed tomorrow.... And not buy coconut oil anymore... Replacement? Maybe avocado oil?

Last edited by Diesel; 08-25-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-26-2014, 12:17 AM
Veggie Regular

It is posible to spin anything to promote the bad/good. A balanced diet that suits you're needs, lifestyle, cooking time available etc.is the best anyone can do. Balance is the key.
I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing and reading that we should be eating/not be eating certain products just for this info to be turned on its head at a later date after some research or other.
If you are happy and healthy with your present ingredients and cooking methods well................. there's a lot to be said for "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
Tom, Tweety, silva and 4 others like this.

There is joy and beauty in everything around us, just take time to see it!

#5 Old 08-26-2014, 01:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by etherea View Post
It is posible to spin anything to promote the bad/good. A balanced diet that suits you're needs, lifestyle, cooking time available etc.is the best anyone can do. Balance is the key.
I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing and reading that we should be eating/not be eating certain products just for this info to be turned on its head at a later date after some research or other.
If you are happy and healthy with your present ingredients and cooking methods well................. there's a lot to be said for "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
You should watch the video.. He does provide alot of evidence. But his voice is kinda annoying.
#6 Old 08-26-2014, 02:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm with etherea. If you google "long term vegans", the first link you will most likely get will be a compilation of many long term vegans in perfectly good health and happy with their lives. After that you will get a TON of links about how bad the vegan diet is and how you will be deficient in this and that etc. And because one vegan out of thousands has a heart attack for whatever reason at the age of 40, suddenly all vegans are in danger lol. Never mind the MILLIONS of omnivores that have heart attacks daily. I work in medical records at a large complex and have for twelve years, and let me tell you I have seen and read it all (worked closely with the emergency room for several years in there too) and omnivores are so unimpressively unhealthy that they should really pay attention to their own diet and habits before criticizing others. Then turn and take a look at how their diet impacts the environment and the untold suffering of billions of sentient beings too. There are plenty of people on this board and other vegan forums who have been vegan long term and are doing just fine not obsessing about every minute detail of their diet.
Tom, LedBoots, mags102 and 3 others like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#7 Old 08-26-2014, 03:44 AM

Guys this is Dr. Michael Gregor. He has many videos out there and I think they are all worth watching. He came to Vancouver, BC recently for VegFest. He is very highly thought of, at least in my groups of vegans.

He has other videos that you might like more.
Tweety likes this.
#8 Old 08-26-2014, 04:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Disclaimer. I didn't watch the video only bits and pieces.

Dr. Michael Gregor is a pretty well respected plant-based eater and he uses evidenced based practices and research. His website is pretty informative: http://nutritionfacts.org/

The "healthy" fat debate is an ongoing issue in the vegan nutrition community. Coconut oil is a superstar oil according to some people, but others don't like the saturated fat content (while others say 'yeah it's saturated fat but good saturated fat...makes no sense to me). There are others that say to eat no oil at all of any kind.

I'd consider what he says, which is pretty much what nutritionists have been saying for a while...avoid saturated fats and bad oils and get omega 3's. I analyzed my diet recently and found it pretty good, but it was lacking in essential fatty acids. I do some days eat ground flax seeds in my oatmeal and take a vegan supplement.

He's saying that there are things we can do to protect ourselves and our heart, and being vegan is a great start, but there are things that we should consider for the long haul since there are studies that vegans have the same life span as meat eaters when most of us are so smug we don't want to believe this.
Tom likes this.
#9 Old 08-26-2014, 06:57 AM
Veggie Regular

I did not watch the video either, but I used to be part of the veg/Vegan community locally. I knew Veg*ns of all stripes and I still know a decent handful. I knew some who were overweight and had high cholesterol - because they couldn't stop eating. One lady in particular is well known locally as a fantastic cook! She goes to a LOT of local events and potlucks and of course she brings something for everyone. Delicious food and not necessarily low-fat or healthy. Her husband, who eats way too much of her cooking, had a cholesterol problem at one point because he was on a Frito kick, which at that time were made with a lot of partially hydrogenated oil (not sure if they still are?). Simple matter of junk food in = health problem.

Now, this is a generalization, BUT - I think the Veg*n community has tended to put a little too much focus on finding foods that are "just like" what omnis would eat, whether it's faux meats and cheeses (some of which have horrible ingredients) or replacing butter/cream/milk to make things like Earth Balance and So Delicious ice cream. I am guilty of this too (and by the way I make a MEAN pie crust). And the trouble is, when we find such a product, we go a bit crazy and start eating it all the time! And it's just made worse because we give ourselves false peace of mind by saying "Oh, it's not animal, so it's not as bad for you." Well, sure, Earth Balance will always be better than butter, but at the end of the day, EB is still pure fat. Says Rocket, who has a HUGE tub of EB in the fridge right this minute!!

All that to say, complacency will never lead to truly good health. That's why Dr. Gregor has a job, and Dr. McDougall, Dr. Esselstyn, and Dr. Fuhrman. As Veg*ns, we may be healthi-ER, but we are not automatically health-Y.

By the way, the vote is way out on coconut oil. Yes it has some good properties, but it, too, is pure fat - and a high percentage of saturated fat.
Tom, Tweety, River and 2 others like this.
#10 Old 08-26-2014, 07:04 AM

I think Dr. Gregor sounds like Seinfeld in a tizzy. But I love what he says and I read most of what he writes. He is passionate about a plant-based diet and he is such a good communicator. The halls are packed when he speaks.
#11 Old 08-26-2014, 07:06 AM

About coconut oil - I get none, no coconut, no coconut milk, no coconut oil. I have a case of suspected MS (which I probably do have) and sat fats are a real no-no. Top of the list is coconut stuff.

I do worry about people using coconut so indiscriminately. When you look a the island cultures where they used lots of coconut, I would also guess they were active and ate lots of fruit and veg and fish and maybe not so much meat and dairy.

Just my 2 bits.
#12 Old 08-26-2014, 07:08 AM

re: flax - I have 1 Tbsp of flax oil a day or lots of ground flax. Omega 3 is such an important building block, and I think just now they are beginning to understand its importance.
#13 Old 08-26-2014, 11:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Guys.. Atleast watch the video or something before passing judgement on it..

The guy doesn't say anything about Veg*ns being unhealthy. He just says they are not healthier than Omnivores, which he thinks is a shock. Then explains what people are not eating enough of. There were no spins put on data, the studies he presented were all specifically about whether veg*ns are more or less healthy than meat eaters. And he just showed the findings.

Most all he says is eat more flaxseed, eat more B12, eat more vitamin D.... and Veg*ns should start outliving Omnivores.
#14 Old 08-26-2014, 12:19 PM

A pretty comprehensive study: http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/dxrates

Pescetarians outlive vegans on average according to one study, and develop heart disease (as well as cataracts and hypothyroidism) at a lower rate than lacto-ovo vegetarians. Although the article doesn't mention it, that points to the value of Omega-3s which I've gleaned are the crux of the video you posted? "Healthy" fats in fish vs. unhealthy fats in cheese and egg yolks.

You're way off base implying omnivores in general are as healthy as veg*ns, though. Meat eaters who consume little fish are at a markedly higher risk for all the above ailments, and die at a much faster rate. The BMIs are similar on average, but that's a poor indicator of health.

I would be curious to see the study redone with vegans who eat at least two tablespoons of flax a day. I eat 4x that. Sure beats eating fish or *shudder* supplementing with oil extruded from their rotting organs.
#15 Old 08-26-2014, 01:04 PM

I agree with most of what has been said, with the one exception on coconut oil.
Vegan does not automatically mean healthy. Cutting out the animal products does not automatically make you healthy, though it's a good start. There's a lot of vegan junk out there that is exactly that, junk.

What makes you healthy is getting the nutrients you need, eliminating the things you don't need, and getting enough exercise.

If you eat whole plant based food, mostly veggies, enough of everything else while making sure you get plenty of omega-3, supplement with B-12, and Vitamin D when necessary, you should be fine.

Even those with a pristine diet need exercise. Too many people get complacent and forget about the exercise. I've been guilty of that in the past.

As for the coconut oil, it is healthy and has lots of benefits. Saturated fat is not bad; animal fat is. Our bodies process the plant based saturated coconut oil differently than saturated animal fat. That being said, there's no need to go overboard. As with all foods, there is such thing as too much of a good thing. We need balance.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you're better off getting your fats from whole food instead of from isolated oils. Isolating certain parts of your food such as oil, juice, protein, etc can create an imbalance and makes it more likely to overindulge in the wrong things.

As for the omega-3's, you do have to make a more conscious effort to get enough of it than you do with everything else. Luckily for me it's easy since my business' product gives me all I need. It's something I use for multiple reasons, so it's not like I have to remember to get my healthy fats. Before that, I made sure to eat avocado, which I love, and added chia seeds to many of my meals. I don't care for flax.
Tweety likes this.

Last edited by seedgirl; 08-26-2014 at 01:39 PM.
#16 Old 08-26-2014, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
I did not watch the video either, but I used to be part of the veg/Vegan community locally. I knew Veg*ns of all stripes and I still know a decent handful. I knew some who were overweight and had high cholesterol - because they couldn't stop eating. One lady in particular is well known locally as a fantastic cook! She goes to a LOT of local events and potlucks and of course she brings something for everyone. Delicious food and not necessarily low-fat or healthy. Her husband, who eats way too much of her cooking, had a cholesterol problem at one point because he was on a Frito kick, which at that time were made with a lot of partially hydrogenated oil (not sure if they still are?). Simple matter of junk food in = health problem.

Now, this is a generalization, BUT - I think the Veg*n community has tended to put a little too much focus on finding foods that are "just like" what omnis would eat, whether it's faux meats and cheeses (some of which have horrible ingredients) or replacing butter/cream/milk to make things like Earth Balance and So Delicious ice cream. I am guilty of this too (and by the way I make a MEAN pie crust). And the trouble is, when we find such a product, we go a bit crazy and start eating it all the time! And it's just made worse because we give ourselves false peace of mind by saying "Oh, it's not animal, so it's not as bad for you." Well, sure, Earth Balance will always be better than butter, but at the end of the day, EB is still pure fat. Says Rocket, who has a HUGE tub of EB in the fridge right this minute!!

All that to say, complacency will never lead to truly good health. That's why Dr. Gregor has a job, and Dr. McDougall, Dr. Esselstyn, and Dr. Fuhrman. As Veg*ns, we may be healthi-ER, but we are not automatically health-Y.

By the way, the vote is way out on coconut oil. Yes it has some good properties, but it, too, is pure fat - and a high percentage of saturated fat.
There does seem to be a move towards comfort food. You see it in the raw vegan community and all their deserts that bloggers are coming out with. You see it in cookbooks the many "comfort food" vegan cookbooks that have come out the last 10 years or so.

One of my pet peeves is bloggers and cookbook writers that call their food "healthy". "RAW VEGAN BROWNIES!!! HEALTHY"...when it's full of fat and sugar. Or "healthy" mac and cheeze loaded with saturated fat and refined carbs.

Off my soapbox now.

Longevity in vegans is a difficult thing to study I imagine. But I can see why the study he talks about shows some don't live longer than meat eaters.
Tom likes this.
#17 Old 08-26-2014, 01:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I just read on the Cleveland Clinic that your body doesn't care if the saturated fat is from an animal or a plant, it processes it the same. The the interesting thing is while raising "bad" cholesterol it also raises "good" keeping the ratios safe. Research needs to be done if this is a bad thing or good. Many people put a lot of stock in those ratios. Lots of conflicting information out there on that. I don't think of coconut oil as "healthy" but like anything else, including healthy fats one shouldn't overdo it as was stated above.

Again with the idea that junk food is healthy, many raw vegan and vegan recipe writers are using coconut oil in their desserts and calling it "healthy" and people gobble it up.
#18 Old 08-26-2014, 06:26 PM

I remember in one of Brendan Braziers Thrive Forward online lessons he stated that coconut oil is the only oil that does not change to a trans fat when heated. He also stated that coconut oil is a medium chain fatty acid which our liver can easily metabolize for energy. How I'm not sure.

Basically everything Dr. Gregor said about homocysteine and B12 was echoed in this article by Don Bennett.

http://health101.org/art_B12_Bottom_Line.htm

The only thing I didn't like about this presentation was the effect of phytic acid was not mentioned at all. Phytic acid is found in high amounts in beans, nuts, seeds and grains. Consuming high amounts of phytic acid severely affects the absorption of minerals in ones diet thus leading to many of the ailments he was talking about.

Moral of the story, eat lots of everything, in moderation! lol
Tom likes this.

Spare a heart, eat a plant.
#19 Old 08-27-2014, 04:53 AM

Vanilla Gorilla, I've had the Thrive book for several years and use Brendan's sport specific recipes and some of the other ones. I didn't know about the online lessons and think it's a more recent thing than has book. What do you think of the Thrive Forward lessons? Do you know if it's different than the book? I'll have to check it out.
#20 Old 08-27-2014, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Gorilla View Post
The only thing I didn't like about this presentation was the effect of phytic acid was not mentioned at all. Phytic acid is found in high amounts in beans, nuts, seeds and grains. Consuming high amounts of phytic acid severely affects the absorption of minerals in ones diet thus leading to many of the ailments he was talking about.

Moral of the story, eat lots of everything, in moderation! lol
Great to hear the staples of my diet...beans, grains are harming me. (Wonder why I feel so good). But 100% agree about moderation...variety, variety, variety.

He mentions it here: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/new-...hancers-found/
He mentions phytates here, citing research that they might help prevent colon cancer. http://nutritionfacts.org/video/phyt...ion-of-cancer/

I have seen on some sites about "dangers" of phytates and how the reek havoc on our bodies...with a wary eye because I remember hearing the same thing about grapes and carrots. But always glad to consider and learn new stuff.

I remember my doctor saying something about beans, and the way Monsanto engineers them to be pest resistant causing malabsorption of minerals...wonder if he was talking about phytic acid. He left so I can't ask him.
#21 Old 08-27-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedgirl View Post
Vanilla Gorilla, I've had the Thrive book for several years and use Brendan's sport specific recipes and some of the other ones. I didn't know about the online lessons and think it's a more recent thing than has book. What do you think of the Thrive Forward lessons? Do you know if it's different than the book? I'll have to check it out.
I haven't read his books. I would think the lessons would echo what his books are about. There is a bunch of supplemental material that comes with the videos. Some great recipies for sure. I highly reccomend it for anyone. Especially people that are transitioning to a plant based diet.
#22 Old 08-27-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etherea View Post
I totally agree with you...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Meridian Integrative Wellness" Live Empowered
#23 Old 08-28-2014, 06:59 PM
Veggie Regular

I think you should get 'Becoming Vegetarian' (or 'Becoming Vegan' if that's more your style) and read it. Honestly, it made sense to me when I read it though there's a lot of information in there. I use it as a reference book now when I'm worried about my health lacking in something. (One of the writers of the books is at www.theveganrd.com and I really like her simple style of explanation)

Having said that, I do love flaxseed oil. Only just discovered it and it is AMAZING when making a dressing for a salad.

So, yeah, go out and buy some flaxseed oil if you want to. No harm in at least taking a B12 supplement (though do get your levels checked at some point because you don't want to overdo it). As for coconut oil? I have a few friends who love it, others who don't.
River and ilikekale like this.
#24 Old 08-28-2014, 07:27 PM

I am about halfway through watching the video but just wanted to quickly point out an error in the thread title... The vegan who died was 66 years old, and had been vegan for 40 years. He was NOT 40 years old when he died.
Tom, Tiger Lilly and Farrview like this.
#25 Old 08-28-2014, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanfish View Post
I am about halfway through watching the video but just wanted to quickly point out an error in the thread title... The vegan who died was 66 years old, and had been vegan for 40 years. He was NOT 40 years old when he died.
Holy crap - that that seems like a HUGE thing to get wrong...
Tiger Lilly likes this.
#26 Old 08-28-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanfish View Post
66 is still to young to die, especially if he was vegan for 40 years, so there was still something majorly wrong unless he was born with a heart defect.
#27 Old 08-29-2014, 10:40 AM

I just finished the video and actually I quite liked it. Dr. Gregor is NOT anti-veg* at all, he refers to veg*s as "we" throughout the video, suggesting that he is one himself. Yes, the video starts out with him showing large studies that show that veg* do not have a longer average life expectancy than meat eaters, but he then goes on to give some scientific explanations for why that could be and what we can do about it (get more Omega-3's, cut down on Omega 6 foods like certain oils, get enough B-12, D and calcium, etc.) I'm a science-y type so I enjoyed how he presented these explanations. I wish he had more time to finish his discussion about osteoporosis, it appeared that there was a time limit for this lecture so that he had to sort of skip some stuff at the end. Good watch, thanks
Tweety likes this.
#28 Old 09-05-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Guys.. Atleast watch the video or something before passing judgement on it..

The guy doesn't say anything about Veg*ns being unhealthy. He just says they are not healthier than Omnivores, which he thinks is a shock. Then explains what people are not eating enough of. There were no spins put on data, the studies he presented were all specifically about whether veg*ns are more or less healthy than meat eaters. And he just showed the findings.

Most all he says is eat more flaxseed, eat more B12, eat more vitamin D.... and Veg*ns should start outliving Omnivores.
I can honestly say this video has changed my life. I found it by accident yesterday and watched it. More out of curiousity about the myths he sought to expose. Since turning vegetarian 15 years ago I have been very sensitive to the changes in my body, when new things are introduced to it. I've only started taking flaxo seeds since wednesday, but it has already given me a new lease of life.
For those of you who aren't taking it. Go and buy the grounded flaxo seeds. Holland and Barrett does a packet for under 7 quid. It could easily last you 3 weeks. Buy and try. See for yourself.
#29 Old 09-06-2014, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Button Man View Post
I can honestly say this video has changed my life. I found it by accident yesterday and watched it. More out of curiousity about the myths he sought to expose. Since turning vegetarian 15 years ago I have been very sensitive to the changes in my body, when new things are introduced to it. I've only started taking flaxo seeds since wednesday, but it has already given me a new lease of life.
For those of you who aren't taking it. Go and buy the grounded flaxo seeds. Holland and Barrett does a packet for under 7 quid. It could easily last you 3 weeks. Buy and try. See for yourself.
Hey, just out of curiosity has it changed the way you feel? made you less tired or what not? I think i might need to get some, definitely lacking something because im napping all the time
#30 Old 09-06-2014, 06:55 AM
Bracing for snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolph20039932 View Post
im napping all the time
I LOVE naps and I HATE flax seeds. I'd rather live a shorter life with fewer flax seeds and more naps than a longer life....

Just saying...

Ken

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page