who or what is Monsanto? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-24-2004, 07:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I keep hearing references to this person or thing. Can anyone explain? It appears to be health related...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-24-2004, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Monsanto is a huge company. Among other things, they are responsible for agent orange and nutrasweet. I don't like them. I've read bad stuff about how they basically run the FDA and get their products approved by having folks on the inside. This is kind of a hoky page, but I believe alot of it. Course I'm still sick right now, so take everything I recommend with a grain of salt...

The Dark Side of Monsanto....
#3 Old 05-24-2004, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

There was a Monsanto in Anniston, AL (or Oxford?) near my grandparent's old place. Smelled like rotten eggs most of the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-24-2004, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular

In the UK, their name is synonymous with GM food.
#5 Old 05-24-2004, 10:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Monsanto = the "real" Great Satan...

Put it this way, Rumsfield used to run Searle, which was absorbed by Monsanto. More or less the same company. They're all of a piece. Let's own the world, including all living things we can screw the people's government into letting us patent.
#6 Old 05-24-2004, 10:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Here's their website:

http://www.monsanto.com/
#7 Old 05-24-2004, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Who or what is Google.com.

Sorry, I always have to say it when people ask questions that the Oracle (Google) can easily answer.
#8 Old 05-24-2004, 10:49 PM
Banned

Ahhhh monsanto... I used to monitor security for some of their extranet web applications because I was a scumbag sellout working for Dupont. Indeed, some scarey things going one there.
#9 Old 05-24-2004, 11:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by christy13 View Post

There was a Monsanto in Anniston, AL (or Oxford?) near my grandparent's old place. Smelled like rotten eggs most of the time.

i bet the smell was sulfer.

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

#10 Old 05-25-2004, 04:35 PM

Another site with some (may be a bit dated) info on Monsanto:

http://www.voteyeson27.com/monsanto.htm

There used to be another dodgy site called monsantosucks.com, but they have since vanished. ;(

Growing up in St. Louis taught me three things:

The Cardinals' pitching staff is cursed, IBC is the best root beer, and Monsanto is evil.

I'd post more, but I'd run the risk of ending up in the "sick and tired threads" section.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#11 Old 07-12-2004, 04:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I visited my parents in AL this weekend. Dad drove me by a couple of the houses he lived in as a kid. The house he first lived in was right behind Monsanto, on the first road past it heading north (west?). It's amazing how close he was. And he tells me that the back part of it used to be a dump. I'm not sure which is worse. And then later on my grandfather lived in another house just a bit further away for decades. I tried to find the address of Monsanto (which is now Solutia, I think) to show how close it was, but couldn't. Gracie, is that on 431 or 202?

I found this link.
#12 Old 07-13-2004, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Heart View Post

In the UK, their name is synonymous with GM food.

I am in the U.S. and I would say the same thing.

Check out the "Brave New Food" article in the Spring 2003 Issue of Eating Well

http://www.eatingwell.com/articles_r.../spring_03.htm
#13 Old 07-13-2004, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I think I'm being stupid. I couldn't figure out how to access the article from the link you gave. The table of contents page appeared to be a graphic with no hyperlinks.
#14 Old 07-13-2004, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by epski View Post

I think I'm being stupid. I couldn't figure out how to access the article from the link you gave. The table of contents page appeared to be a graphic with no hyperlinks.

You're not stupid. It appears that the articles aren't available for archived issues, only the current issue. Only the recipes are available for the archives.
#15 Old 07-13-2004, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, that's what I thought, but I didn't want to argue with the original poster.
#16 Old 07-14-2004, 06:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Responsible for agent orange AND nutrasweet?

Good lord, what a reputation to have.

B
#17 Old 07-14-2004, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

What's agent orange...? This is scary stuff. :P
#18 Old 07-14-2004, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Agent orange is the gassing agent they used in Vietnam....If I'm not mistaken it was misted over vietnamese communities from the air (like crop dusting I think). Vets who came back with agent orange exposure were really screwed basically.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, my Vietnam knowledge base is rusty, and I really really not try not to read very much about that war anymore.

B
#19 Old 07-14-2004, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Wasn't it an herbicide?
#20 Old 07-14-2004, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

They're also known for DDT, banned in the U.S., but shipped to places like Mexico, which uses it on their crops, and imports them to the U.S.
#21 Old 07-14-2004, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

It's an herbicide:

http://www.lewispublishing.com/orange.htm

[google]agent orange[/google]
#22 Old 07-14-2004, 06:27 PM
Veggie Regular

bethanie, there was some truth to what you said, as agent orange was used in the Vietnam war:

Herbicides were used by the U.S. during the Vietnam War to defoliate the hiding places of the Viet Cong (VC) guerillas and North Vietnamese Army (NVA) regulars.

The most infamous herbicide used was called Agent Orange. The steel drums in which the herbicide was transported were color-coded with an orange stripe. Other colors such as Blue, White, Purple and Pink, were used to designate different herbicide formulations.

The largest volume of herbicide was applied from the air by C-123 "Provider" twin-engine aircraft. This air spray program was code named Operation Ranch Hand.

Herbicides were also used around the perimeters of fire bases to keep the concertina wire clear of vegetation, providing an open view for sentries on guard duty. Herbicides were also sprayed along river banks to reduce the number of US casualties in the Brown Water Navy.

(taken from http://www.landscaper.net/agent.htm)
#23 Old 07-15-2004, 01:14 PM
Veggie Regular

"who or what is Monsanto?"

Horrible

Horrible

Horrible.

They are trying to get a "law" passed that farmers in other countries (poor countries, generally, like Africa) have to buy Monsantos produce seed that has been GM modified to be sterile. (ie: won't grow again if you put the seeds from the GM plants in the ground to try and grow new food with it). They practically have a monopoly on the world's food production as it is.

If there ever was a definition of EVIL, they're it.

Down with 'em.
#24 Old 07-15-2004, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

so far to my knowledge every MAJOR product monsanto has produced has had some awful side effect. they do make minor products too. but the big money making ones seem to be the ones killing us. (I dont have a high opinion of them) - they also are bankrupting farmers, with one season super seeds that are resistant to pesticides but also dont survive the winter, requiring repurshasing and replanting (farmers are NOT ALLOWED to sow the seeds of the previous crop) most corn here is now monsanto and its almost imposible to tell which is and isnt (on the side of the road - the good stuff - where granted a good portion may not be - ) so im resistant to eating it this summer. given their history.

edit: (Jynx)
#25 Old 07-15-2004, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

It may be a somewhat onesided take on things but its an excellent film and if you view it with the mindset of looking into things on your own an excellent primer onto monsanto as a Corporation and their history. is The Corporation. it was in theatres not too long ago and i am almost positive it will be available in local retail chain rental places and if not it check libraries for it, its worth seeing!!!

Sarah
#26 Old 07-15-2004, 04:04 PM
Veggie Regular

"The Corporation" is still in theaters. Up to nearly half a million in box office as of this past weekend. Visit The Corporation, and please see the movie.
#27 Old 07-15-2004, 05:25 PM
Veggie Regular

really we only had two theatres playing it, its out of the rep. theatre so assumed it was done, but I just checked the AMC which is still running it. if they didnt charge 13$ a ticket i'd go again.... waiting patiently and crossing fingers they release a purchasable version.
#28 Old 07-15-2004, 06:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Epski, Is the corporation about monsanto?

It's not playing buy us, but I did.... download it. Have been thinking about watching it someday.

$13 a ticket, wow! I'm glad I live in the midwest where I can see a matinee for $4 or $5!
#29 Old 07-15-2004, 10:30 PM

$13 a ticket - yikes! We just passed $10 at a couple of theatres here. I'm going to have to make a post in the "geez, I'm old thread". When I was little, we used to go to matinees for $1.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#30 Old 07-16-2004, 12:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Monsanto is evil, straight from the Devil's tit....

Dupont is just as bad...

Nec Aspera Terrent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page