Calling All Hamsters!!! Week #75 Ending 5-30-04 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-23-2004, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Please do all posting here and let the other thread go!

Mission: The VeggieBoards Hamster Club is a group of fitness/health minded vegans and vegetarians who support each other in their endeavors in fitness, diet, and health. Anyone who chooses can post to this thread. There are no dues or fees, just a desire to share our efforts and support one another.

Yay Hamsters!!! Let's Go!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-23-2004, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey guys, we start a new thread every Sunday morning. If you happen to see that one hasn't been started, please feel free to start one Thanks.

I was supposed to run 8-10 miles today but I was such an air-head I forgot to bring my running shoes up-north so I couldn't run, not that I wanted to it was pouring rain all day. I will do a 8 mile tomorrow.

The rest of my week:

Tues. rest

Wed. 3 mile run

Thur. 3 mile run

Fri. rest

Sat. rest

Sun. race day

Go Hamsters!
#3 Old 05-23-2004, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually braved exercise equipment today!! Thus far, I've refused. I did 25 min on the treadmill today. Broke out in hives after 15, making that last 10 a challenge, but I'm glad I faced my gym fear. Next time, maybe an exercise bike.. I wish I knew how to do the different gym stuff but I don't, and I can't afford $65/hr for a personal training session, so I'm just gonna have to figure it out a little at a time.

AND i ordered roller skates and my sister and I are gonna start skating. lol. i'm so psyched.

My new goal is to do at least 20 min of cardio twice a week, and my hour yoga class twice a week. (plus all the usual gardening and hopefully soon skating)

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-24-2004, 09:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Over the weekend I did:

55 minute walk/run on Saturday morning. Spent 60 minutes at the gym on Sunday morning - 15 minutes walking, 45 minutes weight machines. Also did 90 minutes of yoga at home and went for a walk in the rain for about 50 minutes last night, which was really fun!
#5 Old 05-24-2004, 09:16 AM
Veggie Regular

vegansurfer - Your ortho. surgeon should be able to prescribe phsyical therapy for you, where they'd teach you all sorts of exercises.
#6 Old 05-24-2004, 02:56 PM

Hello!

I want to start running, but before I do I was looking around for some advice. I did a bit of light running in my early high school days, but it never really amounted to much because I don't really know how to plan my fitness activities well.

So, do any of you have any helpful starting tips or general pointers? Like, how many days should I run a week? Should I vary my distances and times? Should I forsake all of this and follow my childhood dream of becoming a California Raisin?

Many thanks in advance!
#7 Old 05-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Beginner

Last night, I managed to do some strength training and a short ab workout. Today, I jumped rope ( ) for an hour.
#8 Old 05-24-2004, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Yesterday I had a massive 30 min squirt gun war with my brother and I ran 3 miles.

Today was 35 min elliptical and 35 min lifting.

r_c- Yay for skating! It's a lot of fun.

siudhain- I'm no expert but I think that you shouldn't increase your mileage by more than 10% per week, and even that would be a lot. I would think that you could start running 4 or so days a week, and then do less if you start to notice any nagging pains or are feeling worn down. Just be patient with yourself and listen to your body and you should be fine. Good luck!
#9 Old 05-24-2004, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I did my yoga today, and I had 6000 some stjeps at around 1PM. I forgot to wear my pedometer when I went to the eye doctor (forgive me for typos/not replying to you, my eyes are dilated) so I'm probably doing decent
#10 Old 05-24-2004, 04:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Hey all!

Today I did some upper body weights and 30 minutes on the eliptical.

ANYWAY, good luck with your race, slynny!

quetta- Good yoga! Its awesome, isn't it?!

rabid_child- Just hang out at the gym for awhile and eventually some beefy dude will come up to you and give you the rundown...they help me A LOT at my gym, but I work there, too. Maybe find yourself a work out buddy, or get a subscription to Muscle and Fitness Hers...they have some pretty good stuff in there.

siudhain- Alright, I'm not an expert, but maybe I can help direct you in the right, er, direction...you could check out www.runnersworld.com or www.coolrunning.com- the websites are loaded with info and also have forums where you can ask people who have more expertise.

Anyway, NDs advice is very good...do NOT overtrain. Last summer I overtrained heavily and wound up with plantar facitis and what appears to be cartilage damage in my knees. I don't want to discourage you from running- its just that my mistakes in overtraining have made it very difficult for me to run like I used to, and I don't want anyone to go through the same thing.

Now, as for how to train, as far as I know, the best two ways to do it are by time or by distance. As a beginner, you will probably want to do intervals of running and walking..I usually do 5 minute runs with 2 minute breaks when I do intervals. Or you could do half mile runs with 1/4 mile breaks...Basically, I think you can go out and establish your own intervals and there will be little chance of you hurting yourself if you can accuratley gauge your abilities. I would start out running intervals something like, 4 days a week, with plenty of rest, food, and water in between. (I know, I'm a stickler for not overtraining...)
#11 Old 05-24-2004, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I stopped counting miles, I do time vs my heart rate.

I keep my heart rate around from 128 to 135 for 70 minutes on a elliptical runner.
#12 Old 05-24-2004, 07:33 PM
Veggie Regular

RAWR. I lifted weights today. Lots of them.
#13 Old 05-25-2004, 07:39 AM
Beginner

Skipped for an hour and did a few minutes of yoga.
#14 Old 05-25-2004, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Yesterday I did a 45 minute walk at lunch.
#15 Old 05-25-2004, 10:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Time for me to get back to posting in this thread! I've been hamstering a lot more lately, because I've had time to spend helping to teach at tae kwon do. Which basically means I spar a lot, do pad drills a lot, and demonstrate forms a lot. Ah luv it!

I've had a REALLY good week so far! On sunday, I did an hour straight on the elliptical with my heart rate around 160-170 virtually the whole time. Monday I helped teach class for an hour, about 30 minutes of which was spent sparring in slow-motion, and then I had my own class where we did forms almost the whole time. Tae kwon do makes me happy, what can I say? Tonight I'm hoping to get a little bit of form practice in; on Wednesday, I'm going to Washington D.C. and so I'll probably get a whole lot of walking in; and then thursday through next monday I'll be in Boston so I'll do some walking and maybe get to a hotel gym or something. Woot!
#16 Old 05-25-2004, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I walked an extra mile this morning looking for my lost cat.
#17 Old 05-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I am addicted now. Last week 5 days. This week going for 6. As I said before my ritual is now 10 cardio then 15 reps on the machines and then 10 more minutes. Today I did about 6 and a half miles during the cardio parts on a stationary bike. I am also not having breathing problems during the cardio due to asthma.

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
 Marilyn Monroe
#18 Old 05-25-2004, 04:05 PM
Veggie Regular

20 min walk during lunch break

3 3/4 mile run

hopefully some yoga tonight

FB- I hope that you found your cat!!!

Great job everyone!
#19 Old 05-25-2004, 04:15 PM
Veggie Regular

treadmill - 33:12 min, 2 miles, 3.5/4 mph w/ speed, incline, and speed/incline intervals
#20 Old 05-25-2004, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I did an hour of yoga this morning, and my super cool roller skates (with light up wheels!!) came in the mail today so my sister and i went skating for a half hour after work tonight. I realized, I Don't Know How To Skate!! Man its hard. I fell down four times. It'll only get better, right? lol.

It was fun tho

#21 Old 05-25-2004, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Didn't find Fig (my cat). You guys excersise alot more than I do. I walk at least a mile a day. I should do more I think.
#22 Old 05-25-2004, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, I did it again! I lost a very long post and I am way to pissed off to make any other repy today ecxept, Damn.

Go Hamsters!
#23 Old 05-26-2004, 12:26 PM
Veggie Regular

OK I'm done being cranky. 8 mile run Mon. yard work yesterday and today as well as a 3 mile run.

Great Hamstering people!!!
#24 Old 05-26-2004, 12:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I am a terrible hamster. I walk 2 miles a day..woo....
#25 Old 05-26-2004, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I did 40 minutes on the treadmill this morning (2.25 miles) and another 10 on the bike (3.25 miles) and i'm frickin tired now!!

all that work and for 200 measily calories. hmph.

#26 Old 05-26-2004, 01:02 PM
Veggie Regular

I often wonder how we manage to burn off alot of calories doing daily things, when you have to go so much work just to burn 200. Boggles my mind..
#27 Old 05-26-2004, 05:43 PM
Beginner

I walked home from school today (25 minutes) and a Bike ride tonight (35 minutes) Good job everybody, and Formerbaboon, I hope you find Fig!
#28 Old 05-26-2004, 06:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Tamilee Webb Arms & Abs of Steel - 15 min

Yeah, I had a chiro appt.
#29 Old 05-26-2004, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Today I did 30 minutes on the eliptical, 10 minutes on the treadmill, and some lower body weights....

Keep up the good work, everyone!
#30 Old 05-26-2004, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Yoga and lower body today. At least now that it's summer vacation I can start being a real hamster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page