Is there anything in a plant based diet that a person does not get enough of? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-04-2014, 11:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Is there anything in a plant based diet that a person does not get enough of?

I see alot of posts about multivitamins, B12s and etc..

It got me worried a bit.

Is there anything in a plant based diet that a person does not get enough of? Vitamins, minerals, etc? If so, what are they?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-05-2014, 12:40 AM
Banned

Its nothing to worry about. People don't seem to understand that something simple as just one food (take broccoli for example, look at all the nutrients http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2356/2 ) has a wide variety of vitamins, minerals, and macro-nutrients. B12 is a big joke, more meat eaters are B12 deficient than vegans. They like to say otherwise but cooking meat destroys the B12. If it makes you feel uncomfortable just eat something fortified like cereal with almond milk. Whatever nutrients is in animal foods originally comes from what the animal ate, which is plants, and its common sense to eat the plants directly for optimal nutrition instead of getting nutrients "through the animal". You pretty much get sloppy seconds that way. You really don't need as huge a variety as people say you do. I'm not saying go and eat one food, just showing that its not that difficult. Its not like animals in the wild are scrambling to eat a little bit of everything, and that's just what we are, animals.
#3 Old 08-05-2014, 07:23 AM
Veggie Regular

There are more vitamins and minerals in plants than in meat.

B12 is a potential issue for everyone and it has a very high toxicity so there is no harm in taking in extra. I do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-05-2014, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Agree with the others. A good veg diet with a variety of foods will beat a meat-based diet every single time. I say "good" and "variety of foods" because it is possible to have a crappy veg diet. Meat-eaters can't subsist on bacon forever, though they might try, and we cannot subsist on Vegan chocolate bars forever, though I've been tempted to try.

Note about B-12: B-12 is actually a bacterium, if I recall correctly. I have not read up on this recently, but years ago, there was some doubt about whether it grows *in* an animal's body (which is why meat has a lot of B-12), or if it grows on the plants and in the dirt of grass and corn and such that will be fed to the animals - or if it's a little of both. But B-12 supplements are usually created in the lab. I'm not even sure if you can buy an animal-derived B-12, though I have not looked lately. If someone has more recent info about B-12, feel free to enlighten me.

One further note: as with *any* diet out there, whether meat-centric, veg-centric, tofu-centric or otherwise, it is entirely possible to have a health problem that will necessitate that you supplement, or else supplements can be helpful. Some examples would be taking Vitamin C when you get sick, or taking zinc to help prevent illness. I myself have to take a B complex to strengthen my adrenal system after years of PTSD. If you can, find a good, smart doctor who actually knows about nutrition (but does not go pushing meat on everyone) so that you can get reliable advice in the event you have a health problem that causes, or is caused by, a deficiency. My point being: don't assume that eating a great diet means you will never again need a supplement, or that you cannot get sick or have a condition of some kind. I used to think I would never need supplements again, and then the adrenal problem kicked my tailfeathers!

Last edited by Rocket; 08-05-2014 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Added last two sentences - realized after the fact that I had left this sort of hanging.
#5 Old 08-05-2014, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

The only vitamins I take are B complex and calcium/D (also took as an omnivore for years due to long standing osteoporosis). On occasion I might take vegan DHA but not on a regular basis. I'm not big on vitamins and my body does not tolerate them well.

I think B12 is the only vitamin you need to concern yourself with as a vegan if you are healthy. So many people take a multitude of vitamins nowadays, not just vegans. In fact most vitamins on the market are not vegan friendly. Everything else can easily be obtained in a vegan diet if you eat healthy and eat a variety of foods.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 08-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Oryzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsuhiro Satou View Post
B12 is a big joke, more meat eaters are B12 deficient than vegans.
For one, thats only because meat eaters outnumber vegans. Secondly, a certain fraction of everyone has absorption or metabolism issues with B12. So vegans are subject to the same deficiency rate as meat eaters, plus whatever deficiency they get from not consuming B12 because they naively think its a big joke or an evil omni plot.
B12 is produced by bacteria in poop. Many animals have different modes of digestion, basically allowing them to redigest their own feces. Other animals eat feces they find. I remember one clinical study where they took deficient vegans, extracted the B12 from their poop, made them eat it, and they were able to absorb it... so if one is ok with the idea of making their own crappè frappè that would work...
But B12 suppliments are a good idea.
You can get pills, lozenges, liquids, or you can buy cheap pills, mash them to powder, and use it to fortify your own cinnamon or powdered coffee creamer, whatever. B12 is cheap and easy.

Vitamin D is worth looking at if your in the habit of using sunscreen, are not near the equator and have dark skin, or are far from the equator and its winter.

A variety of fruits, veggies, and whole grains should supply all other nutrients quite easily.
#7 Old 08-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
so if one is ok with the idea of making their own crappè frappè that would work...
Crappé frappé? Mon dieu et sacré bleu.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page