Had a baby, got fat. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By logic

#1 Old 07-01-2014, 01:18 PM

Had a baby, got fat.

Help! I seem to be eating uncontrollably postnatally! I am breastfeeding but I eat or starve all day! Why? Am I protein deficient?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-01-2014, 01:28 PM
Veggie Regular

What are you eating? Choose healthier foods...? Cut down on pop, desserts, and vegan junk food if you eat these things.
Also how often do you actually eat? I know people who say they eat all day, but they actually eat less often than I do.
I really doubt you're protein deficient if you're eating all day, though.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#3 Old 07-03-2014, 06:00 AM
Veggie Regular

It's pretty hard to be protein deficient in the west. Even fruit has protein! In small amounts, but it's there.

Remember that breastfeeding uses calories (you probably are aware of that), so your body is burning a lot. Maybe you could try tracking what you eat for a few days and see? That'll tell you how much you're eating overall, as well as how much of your diet is carbs/fat/protein (to put your mind at ease about that).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-03-2014, 07:31 AM

Hmm let me see! Today I had musili for breakfast, salad and bologna calzone for dinner and I've made vegan Lasagne for tea, I'll have it with rainbow salad and I've also got some sticky ginger cake (just a little). I don't think that's too bad but I'm starving!! I'm having to control myself!
#5 Old 07-03-2014, 07:54 AM

Try eating beans and other grains... they tend to fill you up pretty good. In between meals snack on fruits - I like berries, bananas, anything that's easiest to eat bc a newborn doesn't leave you much time! hehe. Also drink lots and lots of water. It's obviously normal to have gained weight since you were pregnant. Just try finding foods that will fill you up a little more.
#6 Old 07-03-2014, 08:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarita osita View Post
It's pretty hard to be protein deficient in the west. Even fruit has protein! In small amounts, but it's there.
Protein deficiency only occurs with extreme protein deprivation which is uncommon in the west, but its fairly easy for people eating veg*n diets to consume inadequate/marginal protein. Protein needs are much higher when pregnant and lactating so the chances of consuming too little protein are even higher when pregnant/lactating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehappygang View Post
Hmm let me see! Today I had musili for breakfast, salad and bologna calzone for dinner and I've made vegan Lasagne for tea, I'll have it with rainbow salad and I've also got some sticky ginger cake (just a little). I don't think that's too bad but I'm starving!! I'm having to control myself!
Sounds like you may not be consuming enough protein, when pregnant (2~3 trimester) and lactating you should be consuming around 80 grams of protein a day. Try to include 2~3 servings of beans, lentils or soy in your daily meals and try to cut down on empty foods like cake, candy, etc. Your vitamin/mineral needs are higher as well so you want to make sure you're making good food choices in general.

And, if you aren't already, you should be taking a b12 supplement.

Your calorie needs are even higher during breast feeding than they are in pregnancy so feeling hungry is pretty normal. Just make sure you're eating enough protein, make healthy choices and eat until you're not longer "starving" and watch your weight.
vear likes this.

Last edited by logic; 07-03-2014 at 08:10 AM.
#7 Old 07-03-2014, 08:12 AM

Okay thanks. I'll make a batch of quinoa salad and eat it with everything, and I'll slam down some nuts for good measure. Yeah I hate that b12 is always in insane doses though, it turns my waz yellow?! I feel that this is bad for my baby somehow!
#8 Old 07-03-2014, 08:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Okay thanks. I'll make a batch of quinoa salad and eat it with everything, and I'll slam down some nuts for good measure.
Its really beans, lentils and soy you want to be eating for protein. There are two reasons for that, one they are high in protein and two they complement the proteins in many other plant foods. Quinoa is a good choice, but not a replacement for legumes (beans, lentils and soy).

Nuts are only a moderate source of protein, in fact, on average you're better off eating grains for protein. But of the nuts, peanuts and almonds are the best choice for protein.

Quote:
Yeah I hate that b12 is always in insane doses though, it turns my waz yellow?! I feel that this is bad for my baby somehow!
The doses are high because you absorb very little of it. B12 shouldn't effect your urine color, other vitamins will though. Low B12 levels, which will translate into low B12 levels in your breast milk, is the real danger.
#9 Old 07-03-2014, 08:41 AM

Yeah I already eat allot of beans, today I've had chick peas, tofu and black beans in my calzone and my lasagne has kidney beans in it. And I take nature's aid b12 on occasion but it definitely makes my pee bright yellow! It's just b12 on its own!
#10 Old 07-03-2014, 08:41 AM

Also I eat allot of nutritional yeast which has b12, but not enough.
#11 Old 07-03-2014, 09:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yeah I already eat allot of beans, today I've had chick peas, tofu and black beans in my calzone and my lasagne has kidney beans in it.
Okay, just make sure you're getting around 3 servings worth. Often recipes doesn't use that many legumes so you have to keep track, roughly, of how many servings you're eating. Tracking your total protein for a few days and making sure its around 80 grams or more is probably a good idea as well.

Quote:
And I take nature's aid b12 on occasion but it definitely makes my pee bright yellow!
Maybe its something with that particular vitamin? The actual vitamin, which will make a very small portion of the pill, is absorbed at low rates.
#12 Old 07-05-2014, 09:07 PM

Actually it is completely normal for your pee to be bright yellow or orange after taking b12 supplements this actually means that your body has absorbed the minerals and your liver has excreted it, that's when it turns your pee bright yellow! It's a good thing means your body actually absorbed and used the mineral . You could always juice fruits and veggies you won't have to worry about supplementing if your getting enough vitamins and minerals in your diet it's easier to drink 15 carrots, some kale and apples than to eat that many and your body absorbs the nutrients much faster I juiced twice daily when breast feeding I had to its an extra 300 calories you burn a day so you need to add an extra 300 calories to your diet I still eat every morning steel cut oats brown sugar and hempseeds with fresh fruit and a glass of fresh juice or a smoothie ..
#13 Old 07-06-2014, 05:11 PM

Catherine thanks that's a great idea, I'm going to look into juicing, excited!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page