adult vegans* eating baby food on the run - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-06-2004, 02:06 AM
Veggie Regular

when you are on the road or vacationing and eating at mostly gas stations or convience stores does baby food ever tempt you? i know i have thought about it a lot in the past. i just get sick of the same meal: peanuts and either orange or apple juice. it seems like it would be easy to find something vegan or vegetarian since the ingredients are usually very limited. and its just usually an eat it out of the jar type of thing, no cooking required.

please post what you have tried and what brands/varites. was it gross or would you do it again?

would you even try this?

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-06-2004, 02:10 AM
Veggie Regular

that's bizarro man
#3 Old 05-06-2004, 02:34 AM
Veggie Regular

i get stuck on these road trips with my parents or friends occasionally, or i did before i got married. the folks will take me to a steak house for dinner and ill have a salad but otherwise its mostly convience stores, so to me baby food seems tempting. maybe just the applesauce and other fruit.

do you get stuck in these situations kpickell? what do you do?

“There is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."-James Randi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-06-2004, 02:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Sure. Never been tempted by baby food though. Seems like these days there are very few situations where you can't find anything to eat. I usually talk my parents into going to Burger King or Pizza Hut or Applebees or Hacienda (mexican) when we're out so it's not a problem. On the rare occassion we go to a steak house then I usually get french fries (or a baked potato) and a salad with italian dressing. I haven't had trouble finding food at stores. So, guess I haven't been in that situation yet. I'd pick the applesauce over the mushed gerber carrots though.
#5 Old 05-06-2004, 02:54 AM
Veggie Regular

[Google Says] Apparently Gerber did try selling a line of adult baby food called Gerber's Singles, but somehow it never caught on. Maybe you could write them and let them know you're interested. :? //
#6 Old 05-06-2004, 03:15 AM
Veggie Regular

im not really relishing the thought of eating gerber, i just thought it would be a good idea in a pinch.

#7 Old 05-06-2004, 03:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I ate baby food before I went vegan. I don't really see anything weird about it, it's just food in a jar! Well, the fruit ones are the only ones worth eating but they are good when you need to grab something quickly. Brand: wattie's. Am I meant to feel silly? lol
#8 Old 05-06-2004, 04:07 AM
Beginner

I eat banana baby food for fun all the time. It's delicious!
#9 Old 05-06-2004, 04:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Actually, when I see them in the supermarket, the fruity ones, I occasionally get the urge to eat them. Never tried them though, but maybe next time I am shopping I just might!
#10 Old 05-06-2004, 04:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I knew some weightlifters who would eat babyfood when they were on the go.
#11 Old 05-06-2004, 05:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to eat the strawberry and blueberry ones all of the time in highschool. The blueberry one is especially good because it tastes just like blueberry pie filling.
#12 Old 05-06-2004, 05:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I would try it. I wish I would have thought of it when my husband and I were driving with his parents (so not veg*n friendly) from Minnesota to Texas. It took two days and I lived on gas station junk food. They never wanted to stop at a decent restaurant. I definitely would have tried baby food then, if I'd thought of it.
#13 Old 05-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Veggie Regular

i wouldnt. not because it tastes bad--it tatstes just like the food that it is--just pureed. tho i am not fond of the high levels of dioxins in the jars, but...independent of that, there are plenty of foods that you can bring with you if you plan ahead. no need to be in a pinch. i drive for nine hours to see family four times a year and always bring my own food. not hard and definitley cheaper. if you want to eat baby food, have at it then!!lol
#14 Old 05-06-2004, 07:05 AM
Veggie Regular

when i was younger and first got my tongue pierced (its removed now)

i ate lots of it for about a week

and still do eat it occasionaly

why limit all the great taste of baby food just to babies?

some of it rocks especially the fruity ones
#15 Old 05-06-2004, 07:16 AM
Veggie Regular

I eat baby applesauce all the time - it tastes better to me than "regular" applesauce. I think they use sweeter apples or something. I also like the apple-raspberry and apple-strawberry blends. What's so weird about it? It's just fruit, very similar to those Mott's applesauce cups, except a smoother puree - and it tastes better!
#16 Old 05-06-2004, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I buy it all the time. My family already thinks I'm a food nazi, so they're used to it. I get the veggies--squash and green beans...they even mix some together. I think I'm so used to eating bland food, it's almost like a treat!! I don't buy the fruit ones because I'm the one human in the world that hates the taste of all fruit. HATE IT!
#17 Old 05-06-2004, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clusswoman View Post

I buy it all the time. My family already thinks I'm a food nazi, so they're used to it. I get the veggies--squash and green beans...they even mix some together. I think I'm so used to eating bland food, it's almost like a treat!! I don't buy the fruit ones because I'm the one human in the world that hates the taste of all fruit. HATE IT!

i could cry--please tell me this is not true. even cherries and mangoes????????
#18 Old 05-06-2004, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I think I was born with defective taste buds. Every fruit (except bananas) tastes sour to me--all of it. Oranges and grapefruits actually make me gag?! Hmm..probably some undiscovered medical condition.
#19 Old 05-06-2004, 09:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Huh! I'd never thought of it, but I don't see any reason why *not* to eat it. I confess to "sharing" some of my nephew's arrowroot cookies, hehehe. They're good!

I buy babyfood, but I bet I do something with it nobody else here does. I make soap with it! LOL

And if you're crafty like me, nothing beats a bunch of clean babyfood jars. There are bazillions of uses for those things!
#20 Old 05-06-2004, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I never considered them gas station food - I've never seen them in such places. But it was commonplace in high school to have baby food as a snack. It's the same as grabbing a pudding cup or something - only, probably better for you. I know many people who've partaken in the baby food. Not weird at all.

Oh, and Coop, I definetely sneak arrowroot cookies. Babyfood is awesome.
#21 Old 05-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I guess I would eat the organic, no sugar added kind if pureed food appealed to me at all, which it doesn't, except for maybe applesauce.
#22 Old 05-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Baby applesauce is awesome! I love how the texture is all smooth and not grainy, like regular applesauce. And those crackers are good too But the sweet potato variety - wouldn't recommend it!
#23 Old 05-06-2004, 09:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Many baby food fruits are yummy and some of the veggies are pretty good too. I like bland food and don't like salt much. I used to eat it all the time when my nephews and niece were babies. I'd finish their leftovers. Plums and bananas are the best.
#24 Old 05-06-2004, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

you mean it's weird to eat baby food?

#25 Old 05-06-2004, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I eat babyfood fruit sometimes and justify by saying that I am deadly in need of jars, glass jars!!!

babyfood jars rock!
#26 Old 05-07-2004, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemouse View Post

I eat babyfood fruit sometimes and justify by saying that I am deadly in need of jars, glass jars!!!

babyfood jars rock!

What do you use them for?
#27 Old 05-07-2004, 12:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by qetta View Post

What do you use them for?

dentures
#28 Old 05-08-2004, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

peach or apricot baby food is delicious! I've eaten it when I have a sore throat.

In addition, apple sauce with either peaches or apricots is also good, and for grown ups.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#29 Old 05-09-2004, 12:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Ewww! Try it sometime. I guarantee you'll never be tempted again. It's very bland.
#30 Old 05-09-2004, 02:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I buy babyfood, but I bet I do something with it nobody else here does. I make soap with it! LOL

please elaborate! my curiosity has been piqued!!

Nec Aspera Terrent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page