B12 tablets : complex with other nutrients necessary or simple B12 fine ? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DCDDM228

#1 Old 05-13-2014, 08:58 AM

Hi everyone, 

I think I've found a good brand, it's Biovea but I'm not sure which tablets to choose

I can buy in bulk and save money, it's 60 or 100 tablets depending on which one I choose, for 8£ or less if I buy a few.

The first one says "Vitamin B12 complex" 
http://www.biovea.com/uk/product_detail.aspx?PID=4704&OS=244

Here's what's in it :

Amount Per Serving
• Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine HCL) 5mg
• Folic Acid (Vitamin B9) 400mcg
• Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin) 1000mcg
• Biotin 25mcg

The other one is just B12 (methylcobalamin). 100x 1000mg tablets.

My question is, do the above help with the absorption of B12 or is it just..extra  ?

Also does anyone have any feedback on this brand ? They are vegan naturally, and the presentation makes me want to buy them :P
I realise 1000mg is a high dose, I'm still trying to find out what the best plan is, I see conflicting info everywhere

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-13-2014, 07:44 PM

I take sundown naturals vegetarian super b complex. I like it. Has all the b's. No animal by products in it either. I also by ale a multi. One of the things to remember is that b vitamins are water soluble. Which means you will urinate out the excess. It is possible to have some side effects from certain b vitamins but it is incredibly unlikely and you will most like urinate out the excess with no harm. The other will not help the b 12 absorb. They are just often group together.

Last edited by DCDDM228; 05-13-2014 at 07:47 PM.
#3 Old 05-14-2014, 03:20 AM
Veggie Regular

I have done both, a b complex and straight b12 and it doesn't seem to make much difference. I had side effects with the b complex though (feeling wired, edgy, achy, off) but not the b12 by itself. My b12 is also the methylcobalamin version. Mine is 500 mcg in a spray dose (the complex was in drop form). I only take it twice a week instead of daily. I have done this for years. My body is so sensitive to supplements and drugs and so on that I am afraid to take that much. Plus I drink organic soy milk that is fortified with B12 and eat occasional vegan yogurts and get B12 fortified from those too. Most other B vitamins besides 12 can be obtained from plant food.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-14-2014, 06:21 AM
Dietary Vegan Since 2013

This site lists the recommended daily b12 as follows:
http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminB12-QuickFacts/

How much vitamin B12 do I need?

The amount of vitamin B12 you need each day depends on your age. Average daily recommended amounts for different ages are listed below in micrograms (mcg):
Life Stage Recommended Amount
Birth to 6 months 0.4 mcg
Infants 7–12 months 0.5 mcg
Children 1–3 years 0.9 mcg
Children 4–8 years 1.2 mcg
Children 9–13 years 1.8 mcg
Teens 14–18 years 2.4 mcg
Adults 2.4 mcg
Pregnant teens and women 2.6 mcg
Breastfeeding teens and women 2.8 mcg

1000mcg sounds huge...
#5 Old 05-14-2014, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I take garden of life raw b complex have been feeling great it is vegan has no binders or fillers gluten free as well I love this brand of vitamins I also take their prenatal as my multi vitamin my hubby does too ! Sounds like you are in Europe if you can get this brand do they are amazing made with organic ingredients I've been taking them for two years
#6 Old 05-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

For the methylcolbamin type of B12 1000 mcg is a normal dose. Sublingual B12 is absorbed better than it is through the gut, so that's a good way to take it. Vegans should get their levels checked now and then, and everyone should get their vitamin D levels checked imo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page