Naturopaths/magnesium OD etc. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-21-2014, 12:08 AM

Hi guys :) ,

So I eat well but have been having a few weird symptoms that I recognised as being low in various things despite 'not being' and wound up heading to a naturopath for the first time ever.

I was actually pleasantly surprised and everything I was told about having undergone lots of adrenal stress etc. etc. and how that accounted for a few things I was experiencing and how easily it could be rectified sat well with me , as does the strange dark liquid brew of various herbs I have yet to try BUT... my question is more because other than b12 and omega 3 , I don't take supplements and am wary of combining a good diet ( she even appraised what I eat and said it was in excellent balance etc ) and large doses of things because I'm a small person and it just seems...risky.
She gave me a lot of magnesium to take and suggested her normal dose ( normal for a guy twice my size, too?) even though I eat a lot of high magnesium foods.
Is that kind of thing bad? I know you can overload in magnesium but also see that I might have a deficiency and.... o.O ?

Supplements are new to me but I'm down with them if I should be...

Do you take any?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-21-2014, 03:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I would be careful with the naturopathic route.  I'm sure there are good ones and they can help but having been to a few myself I also know that they push supplements and some are a money making scheme as much as anyone else. Most insurance doesn't cover them and they are not well regulated by the government. I went to a naturopathic chiropractor who nearly crippled me for life when he "cracked" my back wrong and I was in so much pain I couldn't breath for hours.  I also had osteoporosis and had warned him up front not to do anything of the sort.  But he did it in such a way I wasn't prepared.  I found out later he has been in court several times for questionable practices.  I went to another naturopathic doctor years before then in desperation after going through surgical menopause hell having lost my ovaries to an unnecessary hysterectomy (also a common surgery pushed on women by medical doctors) and she put me on all kinds of supplements and strange teas and had me go on a very strict gluten free yeast free sugar free everything but fresh meat and fresh vegetable free diet that started me on a deadly path to hell with an eating disorder I still battle eight years later. At any rate, I couldn't tolerate all those supplements and eventually quit them all.  My body is small and VERY sensitive to vitamins and supplements.  So many have fillers and some have way too much of some vitamins in them etc.  I absolutely can not tolerate large amounts of magnesium in a supplement at all.  I will cramp up and suffer for days with diarrhea.  My only supplements/vitamins I take are pure calcium carbonate powder, vegan D, B12 a few times a week, and vegan DHA a few times a week.  The calcium and D are because of the osteoporosis, otherwise if my bones were healthy I probably wouldn't bother with them.  I eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables and a few nuts/seeds, etc every day to get in other bone building nutrients like K, mangenese, magnesium, potassium etc.

Have you had reliable tests for vitamin deficiencies?  I would go to a regular licensed medical doctor and have blood tests for any vitamin deficiencies if I were you if it is a concern or you have symptoms, before supplementing with huge amounts of anything.  I don't know if magnesium is dangerous if you take too much, but I do know that it can cause some unpleasant symptoms in some people, such as diarrhea and cramps.  Some people swear it helps them.  I get plenty in my diet so I don't feel the need to bother.   I allowed the naturopathic doctors to do their own "tests" on me and they came up with all kinds of problems they insisted I had, including the leaky gut thing and some adrenal fatigue bit that is commonly diagnosed by naturopathic doctors.  The chiropractor even had me take some strange body scan thing and insisted my bones were fine but that I had some weird muscle tension thing going on.  A real radiologist however showed more concern for my thinning bones after I had a real x-ray for a pelvic stress fracture.  Hmm.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 Old 01-22-2014, 05:25 AM
Banned

i think magnesium deficiency causes mental illness. i feel mentally stable when i have greens. my alcoholism washed magnesium out of my body.

what is the best source of magnesium?smiley.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-22-2014, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post

i think magnesium deficiency causes mental illness. i feel mentally stable when i have greens. my alcoholism washed magnesium out of my body.

what is the best source of magnesium?smiley.gif

I found this reliable site that lists some foods with magnesium (some are meat and dairy but many are plant based): 

https://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Programs-and-Services/Documents/CP0403MagnesiumRichFoods.pdf

Sunflower seeds, broccoli, and bananas seem to top that list.

Here's another one:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-HealthProfessional/

Almonds and spinach top that list.

Indeed alcoholism can have a very negative impact on magnesium in the body.  I hope you continue to heal from that Detoxing!  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 01-22-2014, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

What about Epsom salts--magnesium sulfate?

I've heard it's absorbed if you soak in it. I have some

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#6 Old 01-22-2014, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post

What about Epsom salts--magnesium sulfate?

I've heard it's absorbed if you soak in it. I have some

You know, I heard for the longest time how Epsom salt baths could help with muscle aches and so on.  I tried it as it seemed like a safe and natural alternative to popping pain killers after a muscle injury but I still ended up with abdominal cramps and diarrhea, albeit more mild than the magnesium found in calcium supplements.  I have heard that it does get absorbed through the skin.  

#7 Old 01-22-2014, 06:37 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Yes epsom salts are absorbed through the skin. And too much magnesium will give you the worst diarrhea ever.

Some doctors recommend taking twice the amount of calcium supplements as you do magnesium. So 250 mG magnesium, 500 mG calcium, for example.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page