Vegan acidophilus tablets? (girl issues thread, be warned) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

It's been suggested that I consider taking acidophilus tablets to help with recurring YIs, especially because I'm now on the nuvaring, which appears to make YIs a little more common.

I looked on drugstore.com, and it looked like all the tablets contained gelatin...are there any vegan tablets? Maybe missleigh will know...

Alternate source suggestions are fine, I haven't been able to find any unsweetened soy yogurt, which was another suggestion I heard.

My doctor won't give me diflucan without an exam, and I can't go in for an appointment every month. >_<

I'm looking for preventative measures. I'm already avoiding tub baths, wearing cotton panties, sleeping without underwear three weeks out of the month, and I'm considering getting the keeper, because wearing pads seems to make the YIs worse. (Lack of air for the skin, maybe?)

All vegan suggestions are welcome, please. ^^;;

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-20-2004, 02:27 PM

Yes, ma'am I know of a few brands. One is by Jarrow: http://www.jarrow.com/products/JarroDophEPS.htm

New Chapter also makes one called All Flora that is vegan.

Something else to consider is watching your diet for a while until the infection passes. Candida (yeast overgrowth) feeds on foods like sugars, white flour, anything processed. If the probiotics don't help knock it out, then you may want to do a candida cleanse. I'll help you with that if you want. Just PM me.
#3 Old 04-21-2004, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

If the NuvaRing increases chances, why don't you use something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-21-2004, 09:48 AM
Veggie Regular

There is a brand of liquid achidophilus that doesn't contain dairy (most of them do). Of course, I can't remember which one, so this post isn't terribly helpful. But I'll look next time I'm at the HFS and let you know.
#5 Old 04-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Solgar and Quest do acidophilus vegecaps, I believe, though I don't know if you'll find those brands where you are. It might be worth doing a google search for 'acidophilus vegecaps' or checking your online vegan store.

If you do find vegan acidophilus caps, you can use them to make your own soy yoghurt and then all you need is to save a bit of yoghurt to start the next batch and so on You can have a continual supply this way!
#6 Old 04-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galatea View Post

If the NuvaRing increases chances, why don't you use something else?

Because even with that, of all the hormonal methods available, it seems to be the best choice for me.

I've had terrible experiences with the various pills I've tried, with side effects including significant weight gain, migraines, extreme dryness, and loss of sex drive. The patch is not as effective for plus-sized women, which I am. ^^;;

I inquired about an IUD, and I was told it wasn't recommended for women who haven't had children, which I haven't. Some doctors have anxiety about this due to the incident with the Dalkon Shield IUD in the 70s (it rendered some women infertile), but my gyno actually explained that my body was more likely to reject the IUD because I've never had anything in my uterus. It could cause severe cramping, and it would be a shame to have a very expensive IUD removed because I can't stand to keep it in. ^^;;

(I did a lot of research on available methods on a couple of livejournal communities, including "birthcontrol" and "vaginapagina".)

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#7 Old 04-21-2004, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

And thanks for all the comments. That candida cleanse missleigh mentioned looks awfully strict (she PMed it to me), but it's worth a try, so I think I'll do it next week.

#8 Old 04-21-2004, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular

You can also use live yoghurt directly on the affected area, if you can find some.

I would say be careful about taking medication for thrush, especially topical ones, without getting the infection confirmed. I had recurring thrush and UTIs and then I got a condition called vulvar pain, which basically means that any contact there is painful - not really very desirable. Some people think there is a link between these recurring infections and vulvar pain.

Here is a list of some other things you can do to prevent thrush:

Do not use soaps, bubble-baths, deodorants or vaginal wipes in or around the area.

Clean the vulval area only once a day, avoiding scrubbing with flannels and brushes.

Try washing undergarments with water only. Fabric conditioners and washing powders contain potential irritants to the skin.

When washing your hair, avoid allowing the shampoo from coming into contact with vulval area. Try washing your hair in the sink.

Use unscented, unbleached tampons, sanitary towels/pads and pantyliners, such as Natracare products (www.natracare.com)

Avoid wearing tight trousers and tights. Try not wearing any underwear at all even.
#9 Old 04-21-2004, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

I take the Solgar acidophilus powder, which is vegan. I got quite a few yeast infections when I first started the pill a year ago, and that helped...even now, if I have a sugar binge, watch out.

Douching with vinegar is a nice remedy for yeast infections once they've already taken hold. I've used about a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per half-gallon of water or so and it really helps.
#10 Old 04-21-2004, 10:50 PM
#11 Old 01-30-2005, 09:30 PM

I know this is old...sorry. I came across it in my search for vegetarian/vegan acidophilus..... IHERB.COM! Free shipping. There is not much better than free shipping, I tell you what..

Oh, since i'm here, anyone have any experience or knowledge on Hoodia?
#12 Old 02-01-2005, 06:34 AM

Garden of Life's Primal Defense is 100% vegetarian, but I'm not sure about vegan.

I was searching for a good probiotic, and this is the only one that came highly recommended to me by lots of people.

You can get it on eBay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page