Allergies - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-20-2004, 01:37 PM

I have horrible allergies in the spring from pollen, and at the moment I take Allegra, but it's not vegan and I'm wondering what medicine is vegan, or should I just not worry about it being vegan and go ahead and take it anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-20-2004, 03:32 PM
Beginner

It's not vegan? Is it because of the testing process or the actual composition of the med? Just curious.

I personally take it, but I think it's really an individual decision.
#3 Old 04-20-2004, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I suffer allergies and I have a suggestion but it's not terribly vegan but it *is* a lot better than Allegra.

At the health food stores, they sell sublingual allergy meds. Sublingual means it goes under the tongue and they work wonders! I'm allergic to pollen, ragweed, dust, cats, mold... tons of stuff and believe me, they work. All you feel is great and the plus side is that there are no chemicle names in them, just "x-factors" showing the strength of the individual ingredients used.

The only thing non-vegan about these is that the inactive ingredient is lactose. I'm looking for vegan versions, but in meanwhile these are what I go to when things get bad.

The brand I use now is called Natra-Bio and the formula is Allergy (for some odd reason, the hay fever one doesn't seem as good). I've used these for years and they've knocked out everything with no trouble and no side effects. I don't even get sleepy or wired on these things; all I feel is better.

Give them a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-20-2004, 11:22 PM
Veggie Regular

i use nasonex and clarinex. Nasonex is my main one but it is a nasal spray and sometimes my nose and throat get irritated so I take clarinex for a few days. I have not done research to see if they are vegan or not. Medicine is one of those things that I sometimes don't want to know about the veganness. I have some weird problems and most medicines don't cut it. I know that if I find out they arent I won't want to take it anymore.

These two work really well for my allergies. I have bad ear problems that the nasonex made stop in days. And that is after a year of being in almost constant pain.

I take Singulair for asthma (though it is medicine for asthma/allergies). I have done a little research on it and as far as I can find it is vegan with no animal testing.
#5 Old 04-20-2004, 11:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Gaia Herbs makes a product called Aller-leaf that is vegan, and works well for seasonal allergies. It is an herbal blend that includes nettles. Quercetin is a bioflavanoid that seems to help a lot of people with allergies, too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page