"You don't need saturated fat at all!" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-03-2013, 01:55 PM

This veg*nism- and animal rights-supporting charity makes this claim here:  http://www.viva.org.uk/fish-free-life

This runs counter to all my reading on the subject. I know the ideal intake of various fats is highly controversial at the moment, but that's not one of the opinions I've seen expressed before. I'm wondering if I should contact and challenge them on it. If they have studied the issue thoroughly and that's their genuine conclusion, fine, but I think they should mention that this is their own conclusion and runs counter to NHS advice, that it's a controversial subject and people should read widely about it if thinking of cutting out saturated fats completely. 

Although it doesn't make much difference to me personally, as I intend to consume some saturated fat as a vegan anyway, if they are indeed wrong, this constitutes potentially dangerous advice, for both readers (some of whom initially become interested in veg*nism for weight loss or even have eating disorders) and the veg*n movement. Unlike omnivores, any veg*n seriously harming themselves or their children through diet is guaranteed to be a big story, and some will see any bad decisions or advice by any veg*n as evidence veg*nism is unhealthy and stop thinking or learning about the subject - ethics included - there and then.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

I've never understood a need for saturated fats, in fact, I've know 2 people who followed Dr. Esselstyns heart disease diet and literally reversed their arterial damage. That diet is no fat-as in no nuts, no seeds, no foods that have more than trace amounts of oil. 

I believe the only saturated fat I get is from the few things I eat that have palm oil, and the rare things from coconut, or cocoa butter.

Everything I can find advocating the need for any saturated fat has some ties to the meat/dairy/egg industry.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#3 Old 11-04-2013, 02:04 AM
Oryzatarian

You'd be extremely hard pressed to not consume saturated fat, and no culture of humans who has ever lived has consumed no saturated fat. There is simply no precedent for it because there is no natural food source lacking saturated fats.

Brown rice fat is 20% saturated fat

Wheat flour fat is 19% saturated fat

Pinto bean fat is 21% saturated fat

Banana fat (yes, banana fat) is 43% saturated fat!

The problem many people have is they think animal fat and junk food fat = saturated fat and plant fat = every thing else so they give irrational sounding advice about saturated fat intake when what they are really talking about is meat and candy bars.

Arterial plaques (the gunk in arteries) has saturated fat, monounsaturated fat, polyunsaturated fat, and cholesterol because that gunk is the corpses of previously healthy immune cells, and healthy cells have all those things.

Eat a healthy and fresh plant based diet and avoid junk food. That will get your fat ratios just about where they should be.

Naturebound likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-04-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post

You'd be extremely hard pressed to not consume saturated fat, and no culture of humans who has ever lived has consumed no saturated fat. There is simply no precedent for it because there is no natural food source lacking saturated fats.

Brown rice fat is 20% saturated fat

Wheat flour fat is 19% saturated fat

Pinto bean fat is 21% saturated fat

Banana fat (yes, banana fat) is 43% saturated fat!

It might be hard to cut it down to zero, but those figures still translate to miniscule amounts per whole banana or portion of beans/rice. 

From what I've managed to glean from various sources, it seems to boil down to whether we need saturated fat to manufacture enough cholesterol. We don't if you count transfat, but obviously no one wants to be consuming that regularly. Other than that, I haven't yet found a unambiguous answer. Can carbohydrates, protein and other fats be used to make it, without any saturated fat around?

#5 Old 11-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Oryzatarian

My figures only translate to miniscule amounts if the vast majority of fats is from a abnormal source.

Olive oil is a tad low at 14%, canola is lower at 7%, admittedly 7% is quite a bit lower than 20% but those refined non-fresh (rancidifying) fats are not good for you anyway.

100% of the fat in my diet is from grains, legumes, vegetables, and fresh fruit. I eat vegan with no stereotypical saturated fat source yet its probably 20% of my fat intake. And the stuff is important for making cell membranes and such, but anyway..

Cholesterol biosynthesis uses acetylCoA as the sole carbon source, the entire molecule is built from those acetyl units, and acetylCoA is the end result of metabolizing anything for energy. Fats of any type, carbs, protein, alcohol, glycerin probably, anything that has a calorie value can be made into cholesterol by our bodies.

#6 Old 11-05-2013, 01:10 AM

Thanks for taking the time to explain this. So if I've understood you, the charity's statement is technically incorrect, but not important as no one could actually become deficient in saturated fat without simply under-eating in general?

#7 Old 11-05-2013, 02:19 AM
Oryzatarian

Pretty much.

The biggest danger with extremist saturated fat scare tactics is stressing people out, lol

Be suspicious when ever a specific chemical from natural foods is claimed as especially good or bad, and be doubly suspicious if that chemical is being sold in pill form.

nerdywordy likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page