Veg*n trail runners/hikers/climbers? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-18-2004, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Anyone do any of these activities? For me, these are the ultimate forms of physical and mental well-being. They allow me to feel a kind of spiritual connection to the natural world around me and simultaneously provide an outlet for relieving any negative stress in my life. Just wondering what other's experiences are?

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-18-2004, 10:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I used to love to go hiking...

nowadays though my feet are too bad to walk long distances.
#3 Old 04-18-2004, 10:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Walking the ridges and hallows allows me to focus. It clears all the clutter that lays siege in my soul. Sometimes it forces me to stop thinking, forces me to simply encourage rubber muscles to just get to the next switch back or to savor the very wetness of water. I do not find it spiritual. Probably because I am not very spiritual. The more I see evidence of the Spirit world the more I realize just how bio I am.

Life is brought down to basics on the trail. I am not in charge, I am simply a guest and I want to be a good guest. I do not conquer mountains but instead stand upon their gracious shoulders and for a moment I get to see from that perspective. The mountain remains long after the wind has blown away all evidence of my moment.... except in my soul.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-18-2004, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I used to hike a lot when I lived in Utah, but now I live just outside Boston. The parks are all in an urban setting, so they just don't hold the same appeal to me. It's nice to get outside though, so I do go out when I have the chance.
#5 Old 04-18-2004, 03:30 PM

I love climbing but I can't practise anymore where I'm. But I love that sport so much, you can't know

Spidermonkey > Have you tried canyoning ? It's really fun too
#6 Old 04-18-2004, 03:47 PM
Veggie Regular

My favorite unorganized activity is desert hiking/scrambling/climbing. I detest running.
#7 Old 04-18-2004, 04:44 PM
Beginner

I ran cross-country in high school, and I am completely and utterly addicted. I seriously am a different person when I do not have my morning run- jittery, tired, headachy, and I tend to eat too much sugar and caffeine if I haven't run. I loove it and I think that I am going to run the LA marathon next year! It takes extra thought for the diet though, we need extra protein and complex carbs.
#8 Old 04-18-2004, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I thoroughly enjoy mountain walking (hiking) and scrambling whenever I can ... even when the weather is as atrocious as it was this weekend in the lakes I have been doing a lot just lately and am starting to work towards my mountain leader award (ML), info at www.mltb.org if anyone is interested.
#9 Old 04-18-2004, 07:10 PM
Veggie Regular

kpickell sorry about your feet. Hope you're still able to get out in natural settings once in awhile.

Kamila that's very beautiful what you wrotereminds me of some of my solo hikes in New Mexico. The mountains, the wind, the thunder, etc. are so much more powerful than me, and I respect them deeply as a result. I draw on their energy, beautythat's what I mean by a spiritual experience.

tearhsong2 I love Utahvery beautiful. Like you, I'm not able to hike in the mountains/desert right now due to residency, but I'm hoping to eventually end up in Colorado near family and the mountains.

Final Aeon Haven't tried canyoningsomeday I hope to. I also want to go ice climbing sometime. Climbing is very addictingthe whole experience brings me a tremendous amount of joy.

epski I agree with you completely, except the part about running. Some of my best experiences have been in the desert in New Mexico.

mer-girl know exactly what you mean. When I run in the morning, everything else just seems to go better throughout my day. Good luck with the marathon if you decide to run it...agree about the diet part too.

blinkered wow, good luck with the mountain leader award. Unfortunately, I don't have as much time to climb/hike as I used to, but I think about it almost everyday. I look forward to finishing residency and moving close to the mountains again.
#10 Old 04-18-2004, 09:05 PM

I love being outdoors in nature. Hubby & I go hiking every chance we get. We also go trail biking, canoeing & kayaking. For our honeymoon last year, we spent a week at Zion National Park in Utah hiking, and this year we're going for a week to Estes Park in Colorado (right in the Rockies). We'll be doing lots of hiking there, as well as some kayaking.

If I lived in a big city that made it hard for me to get to nature, I think I'd be very depressed. Doing these activities surrounded by the natural world makes me feel a lot more connected to the earth & myself.

One thing that makes me feel this same way that I don't seem to get to do as often is swimming in a lake. Something about is is just so relaxing & wonderful.
#11 Old 04-18-2004, 11:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I rock the climb, and connect sublime!

I rock the body that rocks the party,

I fall-- I suck.. I slack, take I hike,

I get on the mic, I drop the mic

I ride my bike, I take flight,

Travel lite, See the sights

Sleep beneath the Stars.

Acscend a mountain,

Cradle in the moon,

Act like a baffoon,

Land on Mars with cosmic SolarFlowerPower and descend in a giant space balloon.

All in a day's fun!
#12 Old 04-18-2004, 11:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Love, love, love to hike! Love running too!
#13 Old 04-19-2004, 12:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mer-girl View Post

I ran cross-country in high school, and I am completely and utterly addicted. I seriously am a different person when I do not have my morning run- jittery, tired, headachy, and I tend to eat too much sugar and caffeine if I haven't run. I loove it and I think that I am going to run the LA marathon next year! It takes extra thought for the diet though, we need extra protein and complex carbs.

Maybe I'll see you there! Its the 20th anniversary next March. Boy was it hot this year though...in the 90's. Do you live in So Cal?
#14 Old 04-19-2004, 08:37 AM
Beginner

I love to hike too. There are lots of great places where I live (central Pennsylvania), and it's just starting to get nice out. I can't wait to start going out every weekend! I love to camp too! Being in the woods gives me a great feeling...like nothing else!
#15 Old 04-19-2004, 09:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tearhsong2 View Post

I used to hike a lot when I lived in Utah, but now I live just outside Boston. The parks are all in an urban setting, so they just don't hold the same appeal to me. It's nice to get outside though, so I do go out when I have the chance.

Where outside of Boston? I'm up near Danvers.
#16 Old 04-19-2004, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

I love to hike. It's nice to see some areas are still unspoiled. It's a great way to clear the cobwebs from my mind.
#17 Old 04-19-2004, 12:01 PM

i live for hiking, and i like to climb once in a while, but mostly easier stuff because i am a big coward . i have tried climbing at a couple of indoor walls and i don't like that at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkered View Post

I have been doing a lot just lately and am starting to work towards my mountain leader award (ML), info at www.mltb.org if anyone is interested.

woooo! how exciting. i have done my ML training and i think i have pretty much done the required amount of logbook stuff too...but i've been out of the UK for a few years and i'm a bit rusty. i'm moving back to blighty this summer and one thing i'm really looking forward to is getting back out in the hills and continuing to work for the assessment course. good luck blinkered!!
#18 Old 04-19-2004, 12:13 PM
Banned

damn skippy.

hiking, backpacking, climbing, kayaking...

i'm surrounded by national forest so i'm lucky

i dont get to climb much anymore though ..so sad. when i lived in Flagstaff i was on the rock all the time, climbing like 4 days a week. that was cool. i miss it.

now it's warm and i can play with my kayak! and of course, hike all the time (when i have time!). i build/maintain trails in the summer and that makes me happy. having a job where you get to be outside all day is killer!
#19 Old 04-19-2004, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by agouti View Post

i live for hiking, ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkered

I have been doing a lot just lately and am starting to work towards my mountain leader award (ML), info at www.mltb.org if anyone is interested.

woooo! how exciting. i have done my ML training and i think i have pretty much done the required amount of logbook stuff too...but i've been out of the UK for a few years and i'm a bit rusty. i'm moving back to blighty this summer and one thing i'm really looking forward to is getting back out in the hills and continuing to work for the assessment course. good luck blinkered!!

I did my training a few weeks back and am starting to log some additional days... with a view to assessment in the not too distant future. If when you get back to the UK you fancy getting out for a 'quality mountain day' then drop me a line.
#20 Old 04-19-2004, 07:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post

Where outside of Boston? I'm up near Danvers.

In Malden. Not too far away.
#21 Old 04-20-2004, 01:43 AM

Quote:

If when you get back to the UK you fancy getting out for a 'quality mountain day' then drop me a line.

great idea!!
#22 Old 04-20-2004, 11:15 AM

I'm living in northern VT, and I make a point to take FULL advantage of my surroundings as often as humanly possible.

Last summer I managed to get in at least 3 days of hiking a week.

I LOVE going off into the woods for a few days, avoiding concrete/plastic/incandescent civilization.

I'm planning on making a trip up to Khatadin (sp?) and Mt. Washington this summer.
#23 Old 04-23-2004, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, great to see so many fellow outdoor enthusiasts!

Now I'm dreaming about returning to the mountains more than ever. Think I'm going to have to plan a sis trip to Colorado soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page