Postural (or Orthostatic) Hypotension - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

I had something weird happen to me last week, and I wonder whether anyone can offer any insight.

I had been feeling a bit dizzy, and got up to walk into another room. I basically lost consciousness and fell flat on my face. I broke my glasses and cut my eyelid in the fall.

Nothing like this had ever happened to me before. I found out that this condition is called postural (or orthostatic) hypotension.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension
Quote:
... a form of hypotension in which a person's blood pressure suddenly falls when standing up or stretching.

The symptom is caused by blood pooling in the lower extremities upon a change in body position. It is quite common and can occur briefly in anyone, although it is prevalent in particular among the elderly, and those with low blood pressure.

I had had some diarrhea a day or two preceding this and probably became dehydrated. I also had been feeling nauseous and had not eaten anything for a while.

The thing that is so surprising about this is that I have had hypertension (high blood pressure) for some time. But the last time I went in for a doctor's visit, I had low blood pressure. This was astonishing to me. But I did not know what to make of it.

I am going to make a point of sipping on water. I am also thinking perhaps I should be drinking some sports drinks with electrolytes or whatever.

Can anyone offer any insight into this? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-19-2013, 01:42 AM
Veggie Regular

IVe had this happen to me just last week, before I noticed I was having a bad head ache and dizziness and a bit of diarrhea  before this actually happen , and then my right side of my body went numb from   for a second and I could not stand, I had to go to the er, and  the doctor told me it was due to my blood pressure being too high, He gave me a  shot of something  in my veins, and had me to sit there untill my pressure went back down, after which he gave me another shot with same thing, because I noticed I started to go to the bathroom and pee alot. Then he gave me some blood pressure pills and told me to take them only in emergency  I took one that night, after I went back to the doctor next day and had my blood pressure checked, and the doctor told me it had went back  down to normal. He just told me too only take the pills he gave me if  I had another problem with this. Also he told me to stay away from salt, and spicy foods, and the pickle vegetable I normally ate and drink lots of water.  So I have took his advice, I don't eat salt any more, only what is already on my food, I dont add extra, also I cut out all the spicy foods, and I am drinking tons of water, I have noticed a  big improvment in my body and I have not had this problem again since that day. The doctor told me that drinking the water it helps the veins to soften, and I guess the blood to flow easier.  I hope this could be of some good use to you and I hope you feel better soon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page