Health issues making vegan ism difficult... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-14-2013, 08:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I never thought I'd be one of "those" people that got sick eating a vegan diet and then went back to meat. Ugh. I don't think I got sick because of my diet, but regardless, I'm all sorts of screwed up now. I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis about a year ago. I have to be super careful what I eat now. It took all year to get my flare-up under control. I did a 3 month round of steroids...gained 40 lbs with that. Some other meds. I tried all sorts of "natural" stuff my chiro recommended. None of that helped. I'm now getting monthly infusions of remicade and I take the max dose of asacol 3 times daily. Now that I'm in remission, I'm introducing things back into my diet. I had started eating meat again because basically ALL of my veggie protein sources were off limits. Hell...for 2 months all I consumed was elemental formula. I can't even put into words how frustrating it is to be able to eat a processed chicken sandwich, but not some broccoli. But I've kicked meat from my diet again.

I'm doing better now, but I still have to be careful. I can eat veggie meat substitutes, but in extreme moderation. Nuts, seeds, whole fruits and veggies, greens, lentils, beans, etc are ALL triggers for me. I have to be SUPER careful. I have to keep my fiber intake low. Eff'ed up right?

I feel like such a failure! I was sooo healthy, lost 45 lbs. I went from a size 16 to a size 6. I had more energy than I'd had even as a teen. And then I get sick out of nowhere, eat meat again, and gain back all the weight! I feel like I'm starting from scratch, and then some. My diet is even MORE restricted now!

And I feel like the only unhealthy vegan out there. :-(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-14-2013, 11:51 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Ugh ulcerative colitis, and it sounds like you have a doozy of a case. sad.gif

Do you know a veg friendly nutritionist? That would probably be a big help.
#3 Old 04-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Veggie Regular

One in one-thousand people in the U.K. have ulcerative colitis. I'd rarely suggest this to be healthy but, as it's a rare disease, I think in your situation you may need to to eat meat for now. Hunting or fishing for wild animals would be less restrictive to them, though raising and killing you're own animals should be a more reliable source of food.

Is surgery possible to remove the colon? I believe you ought to speak to a doctor with knowledge about U.C. and seek their advice for nutrition and possible treatments.

When you get treated (my fingers are crossed for you!) then I hope you'll consider slowly easing into a veg*n diet and it works for you! If you can't do that yet, or even if you can't be treated at all, I wish the best of luck!

"Treat others as you wish to be treated."

- The Golden Rule

"No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible."

- Voltair

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

- Mahatma Ghandi

"Even dust piled up will grow into a mountain."

- Japanese Proverb

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm in remission now, so I'm easing in. I've told myself that if I just can't do it, I will eat eggs from my mom's chickens to get by.  It WAS one doozy of a flare! My doctor was shocked when the steroids didn't put me in remission! We aren't yet talking about surgery. If I have another flare just as stubborn as that one, we'll talk. But now I kind of know what works for me so I can just get right to it next time. I really believe the elemental formula is what helped steer me in the right direction.  But I've since realized my body wasn't tolerating the dairy in it so well, so I got my hands on a dairy free formula and it's so foul I can't even choke it down. I've already decided if I flare again, I'm sticking a tube down my nose and doing the horrid stuff.  My doctor is against that, but whatever. I know how to insert an NG tube. It's no biggie. People do it all the time...he just doesn't want the liability I think.

I feel so...ugh. All this time I was preaching that meat stays in your colon and veggies pass quickly, not rotting it up. And yeah....backwards for me. *facepalm*

#5 Old 04-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shauna_m View Post

All this time I was preaching that meat stays in your colon and veggies pass quickly, not rotting it up. And yeah....backwards for me. *facepalm*

But it is true for most of the population, so it isn't like it's false preaching! :nod:

- The Golden Rule

- Voltair

- Mahatma Ghandi

- Japanese Proverb

#6 Old 04-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I know. But still....I feel like people are talking behind my back. I'm THAT vegan that got SICK.

My sister has the same condition...even worse than me and she's never been vegan or even vegetarian. So I guess that helps my case.  My aunt died of colon cancer at 47 and she was never veg either. And my dad has diverticulosis and he's never been veg. Obviously there's some genes at work here, but gah! Wish it didn't happen to me. :-(

#7 Old 04-14-2013, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, most people will use every excuse in the book to rationalise their actions, no matter how unjustified! Just ask if they've ever been sick before or known a sick omnitarian. The absence of meat doesn't automatically make one ill! blush.gif

You can neutralise your impact by persuading others to go veg*n through giving out Vegan Outreaches 'Compassionate Choices' leaflets: distributing fifty leaflets can make AT LEAST one person become a veg*n! smiley.gif

- The Golden Rule

- Voltair

- Mahatma Ghandi

- Japanese Proverb

#8 Old 04-16-2013, 05:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewe Nanny View Post

Oh, most people will use every excuse in the book to rationalise their actions, no matter how unjustified! Just ask if they've ever been sick before or known a sick omnitarian. The absence of meat doesn't automatically make one ill! blush.gif

You can neutralise your impact by persuading others to go veg*n through giving out Vegan Outreaches 'Compassionate Choices' leaflets: distributing fifty leaflets can make AT LEAST one person become a veg*n! smiley.gif

I know. It's just hard. I feel like everything "different" I do turns out to be a disaster. My kid in my profile pic? She has CP. Know where she was born? Home. And yeah, people talk. Mostly behind my back. I find out later and it's just the most awful feeling.  I feel like next my little gas-friendly car is going to get creamed by a hummer. And people will be like...."well you should have bought a mini-van!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page