Carbs Carbs Carbs!!!!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-07-2004, 02:05 AM
Beginner

Ok, so I know that I should be the strong vegetarian and eat lots of vegetables and good proteins, but, let's face it, I'm not. I've been a veggie for almost 2 months now and I definitely have a problem! I've gained several lbs., which I normally wouldn't be to worried about because I'm in track and I'm supposed to gain muscle, but it's not muscle I've gained! It's fat!

So here's the problem. I love carbs way to much! Sadly I am the bad vegetarian who eats TONS of carbs and no veggies. My body is freaking out and I've suddenly become the chubbiest I've ever been! And I'm not being disallusional. Here is the awful truth that brought this to my attention.

I'm on swim team also, and last fall I was in the best shape of my life! Our team suits are supposed to be "slightly" tight (in other words insane wedgies and chest poppin' out tight) and yesterday I wanted to put it on to mow the lawn, so, superficial I, could get a tan and 15$ at the same time. Weeelllllllllll.

Let's just say it wasn't pretty. In fact, it was downright disgusting. I almost wish I didn't get it past my hips, but, even though it was an effort, I did. Not to mention many of my pants and clothes have suddenly become very hard to put on.

I don't really know what I need, but help!!! It's nice just to write it all down. Could someone please help me get on track?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-07-2004, 02:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Nope, can't help you.

I'm in the same boat. .: Potatoes, Pasta, and Pizza.
#3 Old 04-07-2004, 02:24 AM
Beginner

Pout.

It's almost midnight and I have to get up at six to drive for 5 hours. I think I'm in a pity pool right now. Let me soak my love handles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-07-2004, 02:27 AM
Veggie Regular

You seem already to know what to do. Salads and Fruits should satisfy carb cravings if thats a problem. I have found the most deciptive foods are rolls and sweet breads (insert your favorite simple carb). They seem ok because there not a desert item but they just turn right to sugar in your body and thats what causes your body to release insulin which tells your body to store blood sugar as fat. I would mention exercise but I am sure you get alot of aerobics being on track and swim teams. Its totaly common for people to gain a bit of weight at first but I am sure you will have no problem figuring out how to eat right for you.

BTW I became vegan after loosing quite a bit of weight as an omni and it took some learning on how to adjust what I ate to get you all the nutrients you need without excess simple carbs.
#5 Old 04-07-2004, 02:39 AM
Veggie Regular

It's really simple. Keep that stuff out of reach and put yourself on a diet heavy in raw fruits and veggies. Make sure any other carbs you eat are complex. It would help if you posted a food diary and where you find yourself eating.
#6 Old 04-07-2004, 02:53 AM
Beginner

Well, this is what I ate yesterday and today. That should give you an idea of my diet.

Yesterday:

1 bowl of cinnamon life

cranberries

2 popsicles (1 lime, 1 chocolate swirl)

2 cheese sandwiches with tomatoes

several chewy bars

2 wheat tortillas plain

pasta and broccoli with a bit of soy sauce

1 disgusting gulp of blended spinach and vanilla protein supplement. Ugh.

Today:

1 bowl of cinnamon life

tuna fish sandwich (I had a weakened resolve and needed protein)

several carrot sticks

half a stick of celery and PB (don't really care for celery)

cranberries

too many m and ms

tomato sandwich (unripe)

I eat a lot of bread (whole wheat) and tortillas and bagels and so on. My body isn't built to get rid of excess carbs without the help of protein. I know I need more protein and I need more veggies. I just am having a hard time forcing myself to eat things I don't particularly like. And that nasty spinach/vanilla protein shake just threw me off.
#7 Old 04-07-2004, 09:17 AM
Rie
Veggie Regular

Ditch the popsicles, the M&Ms, and the cinnamon cereal (full of sugar - eat shredded wheat, or the like). Make sure that the breads you eat (pasta, toast, cereal, etc.) is whole grain, so, it'll fill you up more and keep you from snacking as much.
#8 Old 04-07-2004, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a question. Does whole grain bread spoil sooner than white bread? Or did I just buy a bad loaf. I thought I'd try whole grain buns instead of regular buns, but man they didn't last nearly as long.
#9 Old 04-07-2004, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I usually put my breads in the refridgerator. The whole wheat bread lasts for weeks. Since I usually toast my bread, it being cold is not a problem.
#10 Old 04-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Get rid of bread and eat sandwiches with two pieces of baked eggplant.

I have actually done this. Its not really all that good, honestly, but it did cut carbs.

AHH! You had tuna fish! My old favorite food....how I have missed thee....

lovenlight,

Linz
#11 Old 04-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Veggie Regular

There are plenty of ways to get protien without eating animal flesh. Instead of having that dead tuna sandwich, next time try smashing up a can of chick-peas (garbanzo beans) and tossing them with a few tablespoons of Nayonaise, some chopped onion, celery, and pickles. If you're really feeling adventerous, add some chopped firm tofu. This makes a great (protien packed) sandwich spread (similar to tuna salad or chicken salad) that is completely cruelty free.

Remember, as a vegetarian, beans are your friend! Baked, broiled, microwaved- whatever your style- they're a great source of protien and they're not hard to eat if you add them to things. You could also try a bean chili!

(I found this recipe on Vegweb.com . You can do a search on that site if you're interested in finding a TON more of great recipes)

Three Bean Chili

Ingredients:

1 tin red kidney beans

1 tin butter beans

1 tin black eye beans

1 tin or small packet of frozen corn

2 tins tomatoes (if unchopped, chop) or about 1 kilo fresh tomatoes

2 carrots, coarsely chopped

2 large onions, coarsely chopped

1 pepper (we prefer red or yellow), coarsely chopped

1 stick of celery, coarsely chopped

8 cloves of garlic, crushed (sounds like a lot, but persevere)

1 tablespoon tomato puree

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1/2 cup bulgar wheat

Seasonings: 1 tablespoon ground cumin, chili (be generous),

Directions:

If using dried beans, be careful to ensure that the kidney beans are thoroughly cooked. If using tinned beans, make sure that you rinse them well.

Chop the vegetables, and throw them in the pot with the beans - mix well. Add the rest of the ingredients, seasoning to taste and you're done. By no means skip the cumin - it realy makes a world of difference. And the bulgar wheat is important in keeping the chili from becoming too runny. The key to any good chili is letting it cook for literally hours at a low heat, covered. We use a slow cooker (crock pot) and it is ideal. Chili also tastes even better the next day! It also freezes very well.
#12 Old 04-07-2004, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Darlin' you need to learn some new recipes...

Spend a few days at the VegWeb recipe file.

And stay away from tuna, popsicles, M&M's, and cheese. Eat more variety in fruits and veggies, and more of them! See how that works out for you.
#13 Old 04-07-2004, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I use to be a carb addict but I just let go all the refined stuff and replaced it with vegetarian stuff - like soy products. The increase in protien really offset my carb cravings.

Here are some alternative options

Yesterday:

1 bowl of cinnamon life (Try Amaranth Flakes or whole oats or a piece of flourless whole grain bread with nut butter and fresh chopped fruit)

cranberries (Fresh fruit is better than dried)

2 popsicles (1 lime, 1 chocolate swirl) (Blend up a smoothie with a really ripe banana that you keep in the freezer, soymilk, and peanut butter or add lemons and limes and pineapple or applejuice for sweetener - better yet eat alkaline veggies, celery, cucumber etc.)

2 cheese sandwiches with tomatoes (Big salad of mixed greens with tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, carrots, sprouts - the works)

several chewy bars (Snack on homemade hummus and veggies sliced into chips or wh wht pita bread)

2 wheat tortillas plain (An Apple or Orange)

pasta and broccoli with a bit of soy sauce (add some tempeh or mushrooms or beans or make it brown rice)

1 disgusting gulp of blended spinach and vanilla protein supplement. Ugh. (Get a juicer and make your own V8 type drink)
#14 Old 04-07-2004, 04:02 PM
Veggie Regular

As far as i know, it's only refined carbs that aren't too good for you. Whole grains fill ya up and are more nutritious. As for how to cut down on breads in general..I can't help..I eat bread and pasta by the truckload

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#15 Old 04-11-2004, 01:07 PM
Beginner

Thanks!
#16 Old 04-11-2004, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I say instead of blaming carbs, try counting up how many calories you're taking in. Also, try being more active. Walking a half an hour each day will help!
#17 Old 04-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Also, your days seem to be kind of low in protein. Maybe your body is craving protein, and instead of getting it from protein-rich sources (think beans, nuts/nut butters, tofu), it is compensating by getting the scant amount of protein in carbs.

Another thing is to get rid of the sugar carbs... so instead of dried cranberries and M&M's, try fresh "snacky" fruit like grapes or strawberries. Get a less sugary cereal and replace the popsicles with sugar free or fruit-sweetened alternatives.

Overall, though, you don't seem to eat a lot... What about some regular exercise and enjoying the carbs?
#18 Old 04-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Sheik, basically what the others have said. Since you depend on your parents to provide you food, beans, lentils, peas, and nuts are excellent and inexpensive protein, mineral, and vitamin powerhouses. Soy is great, but it can be pricey. If you have an Asian grocery store try to get your tofu there--it will be a lot cheaper than a regular supermarket or the HFS.

Walking is great exercise. Also, if you have cable tv, check your local listings for exercise programs. Public tv channels in your area may have exercise programs as well.
#19 Old 04-11-2004, 06:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I have a great self discipline. Just tell yourself you don't need it, no matter how much you want it tell yourself no!, take a deep breath, and walk away.

As long as you really wanna help yourself you can do it.
#20 Old 04-13-2004, 01:00 AM
Beginner

Un problema. I get plenty of exercise from track. And like raylea said, I don't eat very much. I always have the smallest appetite amongst my friends, even though I'm the biggest (height, weight, body in general). Could be my metabolism is screwed up from lack of protein. I don't know. I'm so confused!
#21 Old 04-13-2004, 02:38 AM
Veggie Regular

If you think lack of protein is the problem - then drop all that sugar-fied highly processed crap you're eating. Replace them with beans, soy foods, whole grains, and lentils.
#22 Old 04-16-2004, 08:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
So here's the problem. I love carbs way to much! Sadly I am the bad vegetarian who eats TONS of carbs and no veggies.

With the exceptions of olive and avocado, vegetables are predominately carbohydrate. My diet is 55-70% carbohydrate, in accordance with current WHO/FAO guidelines, and predominately vegetables and fruits. I am very lean and have visible abs, and I get 100% or more of the US DRIS (for men, even though I am a woman) from food, not supplements, with the exceptions of B12 and D. For the former, I take a pill. It is easy to get all of the vitamins and minerals your body needs, and then some, when most of your calories are coming from vegetables.

You would do well to get over your aversion to vegetables. If you think they are repulsive, you won't get over it. If you think of them as wonderful gifts that will give you glowing health, and seek out ways to make them appetizing, you will probably eat more of them and less of the not-so-nutritious stuff that you currently prefer.
#23 Old 04-16-2004, 10:49 PM

Curious b/c I always seem to come up short on nutrients.
#24 Old 04-17-2004, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I eat about 3 kg (about 6.6 lbs, more than 20 servings) of vegetables and fruits per day, more than half of which is fresh leaves--collard greens, cabbages of all types, kale, turnip greens, mustard greens, spinach, beet greens, swiss chard, radicchio, arugula, endive, escarole, romaine, red leaf lettuce, etc. It works out to about 5 servings of fruit for breakfast, 8 for lunch, and 8 for dinner.

According to the USDA nutrient database SR 16, this provides nearly a gram of vitamin C and calcium per day, and well more than the DRIs of vitamin A, zinc, vitamin E, folate, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, selenium, most of the B vitamins, iron, etc..
#25 Old 04-17-2004, 03:51 PM

i'm having the exact same problem!

i am wearing pants now that i can't even button...but they are the only clean pair of pants i have!

i need to get rid of the chips and wheat thins and coke i believe. and yeah no more cheese...

what do you guys think about rice? is white, long grain rice a simple or complex carb?
#26 Old 04-17-2004, 04:42 PM
Beginner

Simple, I think. Eat brown. Way better for you and it tastes good, too.
#27 Old 04-18-2004, 01:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Eventually, you're going to start liking brown rice better. You only have to force yourself to eat it for a little while

Eating a cup of white rice is basically like eating half a cup of white sugar, and it'll have the same effect on your insulin levels, too.
#28 Old 04-18-2004, 10:27 AM

I lost my first 150 pounds eating low carb foods. I don't know what your financial situation is, but there are a lot of low carb pastas that are vegan and don't taste like crap(Atkins). They are on average 2 dollars more a box. Here is a link to Dreamfields this stuff is awesome, low carb and cheaper than Atkins pastas.

http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com

Start making your own pizza, Whole Foods sells gluten free bread mixes. The process of removing gluten from the flour elimantes a lot of starch. Which will make your pizza low carb. A lot of health food stores sell low carb pizza now but they are not vegan and expensive. Here is another link to imagine foods:

http://www.imaginefoods.com/pages/pr...reamfrozen.php

The ice cream is lower in carbs than regular ice cream and tastes quit deilcious

*Warning* Soy Dreamers are addictive and the wafers are not low carb, but vegan and deceptive. EAT AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Now Mission has joined the game. Their new line of tortillas are low carb, cheap and very scrumpdiliumptious. They cost 2 dollars a bag and are sold everywhere from Albertsons, Kroger, Safeway and Minyards. You can make mini vegan pizzas out of them or fill them with veggies, soy ground round and salsa for a quick snack or meal that will take you less than 5 minutes to make. You can even pack them for lunch or whatever.

245 pounds later I can now run 5 miles and out sprint my brother who was on the track team in High School.

Peace!
#29 Old 04-18-2004, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Buddha, you are right about the soy dreamers! I used to eat the whole box in one day! Now I don't buy them anymore. I started buying the soy delicious fruit sweetened vanilla ice dream and putting a tablespoon of peanut butter on it to add as little protein. It is good and I am able to stop at just one serving.
#30 Old 04-18-2004, 06:44 PM
Kyo
Veggie Regular

Although many people loose weight on low carb diets they really aren't the best type of diet to go on.

The best type of diet is a healthy way of eating that you can maintain for the rest of your life. By "healthy way of eating" I mean balance (eating a variety of foods that have the nutrients your body needs). Low carbohydrate diets are NOT balanced; the carbohydrate content is lower than what nutritionists recommend (at least 55% of the calories from carbohydrates).

To loose weight you need to consume fewer calories than your body uses. To accomplish this: get more exercise, eat less or eat more low calorie foods. Nutritionists say that many people loose weight on low-carb diets because they are consuming fewer calories. But, you can loose weight while maintaining a balanced diet.

Here's an article on low-carb diets from Andrews University

From Atkins to Zone

So, how much carbohydrates is "55% of your calories from carbohydrates"? Well, lets say you are a female and am dieting and am only consuming 1500 kcals (kilo calories).

55% of 1500 kcals is 825 kcals (from carbohydrates).

There is 4 kcals per gram of carbohydrates so

825 kcals / (4 kcals/gram) = 206 grams

So, persons that consume 1500 kcals/day should consume at least 206 grams of carbohydrates.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page