"The Not So Good News About Sprouts" - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-09-2003, 11:55 AM
Beginner

this was in dr. weil's daily e-mail tip (sorry i couldn't find the direct link from his site, so this is quoted from the e-mail)

" 04.09.2003

Tip: The Not So Good News About Sprouts

Sprouts became popular in the 1970s as a New Age staple, often replacing lettuce in sandwiches, filling salad bowls, and forming huge mounds of garnish on platters. Sadly, the idea that sprouts are good for health has little science behind it. As the youngest forms of green plants, they are probably full of enzymes associated with new growth, but those compounds are destroyed in our stomachs. In fact, some sprouts might not be good for us at all. Raw legume sprouts contain natural toxins, so I remove raw alfalfa sprouts from any foods that I am being served. I also avoid raw clover, mung bean, lentil, chickpea, and other bean sprouts (which don't taste very good anyway). I have no issue with cooked bean spouts and no objection to raw sprouts of nonleguminous seeds. If you like radish, sunflower, and buckwheat sprouts, go ahead and enjoy eating them.
"

i love to sprout - and i love to eat them - so this was quite disturbing. does anyone have any additional (or hopefully conflicting ) information on this?

i just don't want to give up my sprouts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-09-2003, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm all about the radish sprouts.
#3 Old 04-09-2003, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm...I just bought a box of alfalfa sprouts yesterday to try. I wonder if there is any truth to this or will it turn out to be like the soy warnings? I would like to hear more, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-09-2003, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the info, but I still love sprouts anyways because they are so utterly veggetively yummy!!
#5 Old 04-09-2003, 05:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I've heard this from other sources as well, but I don't think sprouts are that toxic. I'm somewhat of a fan of Dr. Weil, but he is a bit of an alarmist at times. For instance, he's also very much against standing close to electrical appliances and cautions against drinking water out of non-clear plastic jugs. There may be some truth to there being dangers from such things, but I don't think the dangers are as great as he makes them out to be. I've had to stop reading one of his books because it was so anxiety-producing. I'd be interested in hearing more on the sprout subject though.
#6 Old 04-09-2003, 10:18 PM

On a per calorie basis, sprouts are some of the most nutritious foods on the planet. Broccoli sprouts are especially healthy and a John Hopkins study showed that broccoli sprouts have 10-50 times the cancer-fighting agent in mature broccoli, see link: http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/94/19/10367

As for bean sprouts, they are also packed with nutrition. I have never heard of the toxin thing mentioned by Weil. Here is a link to read about the nutritional content of various sprouts: http://www.easygreen.com/articles/nutritional_data.html
#7 Old 04-10-2003, 12:41 AM
Veggie Regular

This isn't good news to hear; hope he's wrong. I love sprouts - especially alfalfa. Guess if it's true - I'll have to deal with the guilt of eating something bad for me
#8 Old 04-10-2003, 02:08 AM
Beginner

yea, i don't think i'll give up sprouts either. and since eggplant pointed out that he is a "bit of an alarmist", i'll just use my own judgement in the matter - after all, sprouts have been good to me so far
#9 Old 04-10-2003, 02:38 AM
Veggie Regular

mmmmm clover sprouts!

and...

mmmmm sunflower sprouts!

Nec Aspera Terrent
#10 Old 04-11-2003, 04:57 PM

I just started sprouting mung and adzuki sprouts; i've been putting them in my stir-fries

Sprouting is so easy and fun. I hope Weil is wrong
#11 Old 01-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not too sure about Weil either... only place I've heard this.

I love sprouts, but buy mung sprouts at an Asian grocery 'cause they're really big and tender. I can never get mine like that-they come out stringy. I use a paper towel lined colander and rinse.

Can anyone offer recommendations?

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good
#12 Old 01-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes they have toxins in them but many of our foods have toxic substances. Spinach has Oxalic acid which can cause kidney stones if eaten in HIGH amounts.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#13 Old 01-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Umm....I think I'll eat the sprouts over a stinking french fry any day.

I think everything is toxic on some level anyways...Hell, even life is an std.

The Vegan ABC's: East Meets West, VEGAN STYLE! A blog detailing the edibles in the life of an ABC (American-born Chinese) vegan.
http://theveganabc.blogspot.com/
#14 Old 01-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I thought this was going to be about brussel sprouts. I'm relieved.
#15 Old 01-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nontoxicglue View Post

I think everything is toxic on some level anyways...Hell, even life is an std.

A terminal std.

don't take my life away, don't take my life away.
#16 Old 01-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Veggie Regular

fiber....think fiber at least.....and grow your own. It's fun watching them grow.

My brand new website for health coaching, and where all of my recipes will reside!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
previous food photography and portrait blog: www.creativeinspirationsphotography.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435413727

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page